First Birthday Time Capsule

Still on the birthday theme I thought I would share Monkey’s first birthday time capsule. I must admit I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to memorabilia even before I had a little one. So it was only natural for me to have the urge to put something together to commemorate his special day. I remember researching the internet hoping for a ready made list of possible contents but failed miserably! So this post is essentially just that, a list of ideas you could use to create your own special first birthday time capsule.

First BirthdayTime Capsule

Ours is not a true time capsule as it’s not sealed and it ended up being quite a bit bigger than I originally planned! As his first party had a Hungry Caterpillar theme I wanted the time capsule to match and brought a 12×12 inch storage box from The Works.  The items in it are:

img_8296

• Bits from the table setting – paper cup, plate, jelly bowl, napkin, party bag and hope made party hats
  • No 1 candle
  • Google Earth picture of our house
  • Top 10 films on his birthday – print out
  • Top 10 songs on his birthday – print out
  • National News Paper (I also have one on the day he was actually born)

img_8300

• Home made birthday t-shirt
  • Home made party banner
  • CD of the top 10 songs
  • I wanted to include something from the party games – as we had pin the head on the caterpillar I included that!
  • Champagne cork
  • I also asked everyone to leave a future message for him on cardboard leaves (they took ages to cut out!). I gave guests several ideas as to what they could write, such as first memories of him, words of wisdom for when he’s 18, how they know us etc. This went down really well, I was quite surprised as expected to have to nag people to do it!

img_8301

• Foiled ‘1’ helium ballon
  • Small personal gifts from grandparents
  • Born in 2012 rattle
  • Guinness Book of Records 2013
  • McDonalds happy meal toy from the week of his birthday
  • Home made book with all his birthday cards secured with metal rings. I made this by covering cardboard for the cover and back with Hungry Caterpillar wrapping paper and punching holes in them and the cards.

img_8302

My favourite item is a little scrapbook I put together along with photos I included details on the following:

• His nicknames
  • List of presents and who they were from
  • Twenty questions around his favourites (which I answered on his behalf)
  • Things he likes the mosts
  • Receipt for petrol
  • The average price for a house in Sussex, council rates, weekly income in the UK, a European holiday and a family car
  • How much it costs to learn to drive
  • A typical grocery shopping list with prices
  • What the FTSE opened and closed at
  • Price of a TV licence
  • How much a first and second class stamp costs
  • Birthday cake & food details
  • Room and garden decoration details
  • Copy of the party invite & thank you card
  • List of his little friends that came

img_8295

The plan is to give it to him at a special birthday in the future, such as 16,18 or 21. Just going through it tonight has reminded me of what a special day it was, I really hope he will love it as much as we do when we give it to him.

1. April 21, 2015 / 12:00 am

This time capsule will make a wonderful gift for your little guy! The items you placed in the box are so special and creative. Lovely post 🙂

2. Katy (What Katy Said)
    April 21, 2015 / 8:42 am

This is just the most beautiful gift! I have a memory box but it is just all stuff bunged in. Yours is so thoughtful! Love it! x

• April 21, 2015 / 6:53 pm

Ahhh Thank you… my husband thinks Im slightly mad lol xx

3. Polka Dot Family
    May 15, 2015 / 4:41 pm

Such a wonderful idea, I wish I had done this with my children – never too late to start right?

• May 15, 2015 / 9:01 pm

Of course not 🙂 any child at any age will appreciate it I am sure 🙂

4. May 15, 2015 / 8:02 pm

That is the best idea ever!! I wish i had thought of that! i might start on O’s 6th birthday! xx Love how creative you are xx
    #kidscorner

• May 15, 2015 / 9:02 pm

Ah thank you 🙂 that would be great I am sure and you can do birthday questions too which at 6 would be ideal xx

5. May 16, 2015 / 9:08 pm

this is such a cute Idea i love the little book you’ve made with the cards, such a nice way to keep them mine are all in a bag under the bed! thanks for linking up to #kidscorner x

6. November 11, 2015 / 10:18 pm

Oh my goodness this is such a brilliant idea! I wish I had done something like this on Aidan’s first birthday. My Aunt had a similar box for my cousin that she gave to her the night before her wedding, full of all the things she loved as a child. I bet Monkey will love looking through it in a few years x

7. Wendy
    November 12, 2015 / 12:26 am

This is a lovely idea. It must have taken you quite some time to put it all together. There’s a lot of thought in this as well as the actual work involved 🙂

8. emmysmummy
    November 12, 2015 / 11:16 am

What a lovely idea and fabulous to look back on

That t-shirt is just adorable

9. November 12, 2015 / 12:34 pm

This is absolutely amazing! What a lovely idea. I have a little box of things from when Lamb was born, like his first outfit and cards from friends and family when he was born. I try to keep things from birthdays too, but I’m not very organised at finding a home for them! x

10. mylittleloves
    November 12, 2015 / 12:50 pm

Such a lovely post!! I wish I had been this creative when mine where 1!! well done mummy!

11. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    November 12, 2015 / 3:16 pm

This is so sweet & thoughtful. I love the idea of guests writing memories & advice for monkey. I’m sure he is going to love this & be touched! x