Family Holidays – Map Wall Art

Family Holidays - DIY Map Wall Art

This is such a really simple and cheap idea for all those holiday maps….I am sure I am not alone in this, initially feeling too sentimental to throw them away just after the holiday, instead letting them take up space in draws or book shelves. Getting tatty and then eventually throwing them out in a decluttering moment..

Well since Monkey has been born I have got even worse with the sentimental stuff and clutter! So in a recent decluttering exercise I decided to do something with said holiday maps. I have been cutting them up into heart shapes and putting them in a frame. Its simple and not over fussy so would suit most decorating tastes. I try and make sure the name of the town or city we visited is in the centre of the heart by using baking parchment to make the master heart which I then draw round to get the shape to cut out from the map.

IMG_8865

I am expecting to fit 25 hearts into the 50cm x50cm which I brought from Ikea. The range is called RIBBA and they currently sell a similar one for £8. The one I use is more of a box frame but because its just paper a normal frame would do the same job. I use foam squares to attach the maps, but any archival glue would work.

Its such a simple and easy craft that you could get it done in an evening, or if you have older children they could help and choose the maps which mean the most to them. You could also do something similar with tickets or other paper memorabilia. It would also make a brilliant wedding gift recording all the couples holidays together or honeymoon destinations if they are doing a road trip or similar.

1. May 19, 2015 / 5:44 am

What a lovely idea. I tend to recycle all of this stuff with a slight pang. I think the thing I like the most is the on going nature of it. You can keep adding until the frame is full and it is a great reminder of all those trips. Great idea. #TwinklyTueasday

• May 19, 2015 / 6:19 am

It’s become a little ritual 🙂 thank you for your comments and taking the time to stop by x

2. May 19, 2015 / 6:44 am

I think this is ABSOLUTELY brilliant and wish we had done something like this. Very clever idea.#twinklytuesday

3. May 19, 2015 / 7:13 am

I absolutely adore this idea! It’s definitely going on the ‘things to make one day’ list x

#twinklytuesday

4. May 19, 2015 / 9:41 am

I really love this idea, such a great reminder of all your holidays!

5. Eimear
    May 19, 2015 / 1:16 pm

Oh my god I love this idea!!! Totally going to try and do the same! #TwinklyTuesday

6. Angela Milnes
    May 19, 2015 / 8:08 pm

What a brilliant Idea! I might try this out. Don’t have any maps but it’s a really creative way to build memories. Angela x

#TwinklyTuesday

Angela recently posted, “Educational Kids giveaway- Alphabet Card Game http://wp.me/p5XRN6-1rH

7. May 21, 2015 / 1:46 am

How absolutely exquisite! I looooooove maps. I even have a whole Pinterest board for the map-themed room I will never actually have because I’m no decorator. Thanks for linking up at #TwinklyTuesday.

8. Mrs Darcheville
    May 23, 2015 / 9:23 am

Such a good idea! I always keep maps and travel tickets from holidays, now I can actually do something with them rather than keep them in a box!

9. May 24, 2015 / 11:43 am

Oh you have given me an idea for a piece of art to do for the toddlers room, we collect flags to sew onto a towel but I think I might invest in maps and when he its 25 countries make one of these. The scary part? He will hit 25 sometime before he is 4 we think……#sundaystars

• May 25, 2015 / 8:12 am

Wow 25 by the age of 4!! Would be great to see the finished project 🙂 xx

10. katybyrd32
    May 26, 2015 / 2:10 am

I love this. As always, thanks for the great idea!

11. Emma
    May 30, 2015 / 9:44 pm

I love this idea. I’ll have to do this with my maps. I’m glad other people accumulate holiday maps too.

• May 30, 2015 / 9:46 pm

Theres something about them – just really struggle to bring myself to throw them out! lol. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

12. May 30, 2015 / 10:08 pm

What a wonderful idea!!! I too have so many bins of memories that I really need to get them out and think of some ideas as well. Thank you so much for sharing this with #momsterslink.

13. August 1, 2015 / 11:37 am

I absolutely love this idea. I’ve seen them on a website but hadn’t thought of making one myself. Thanks for letting us know where the frame is from too. I’l be getting one and making a start. Thanks for linking up to #featurefridays

14. August 7, 2015 / 5:14 pm

I am visiting this time around from #featurefridays. And I am glad I did cause this reminded me that I am going to do this with the maps from our Redwoods Vacation!

15. October 31, 2015 / 9:54 am

This is a brilliant idea, so simple (I am not good at crafts) but have LOADS of old maps getting crumpled in a file. Would love to do this for my daughter’s room.

• November 3, 2015 / 9:31 pm

It would be great in her room especially after all the countries she’s already seen 🙂 x

16. October 31, 2015 / 10:19 am

This is a fabulous idea and it looks great. I think this could be a project over the Christmas holidays which would also keep my kids amused by helping.

• November 3, 2015 / 9:32 pm

Good idea 🙂 great Christmas project xx

17. October 31, 2015 / 3:36 pm

That’s really pretty. Such a good way of saving holiday memories. A map always helps me understand where I am on holiday.

• November 3, 2015 / 9:36 pm

Thank you 🙂 I need to update it with this years!

18. October 31, 2015 / 7:21 pm

That is so cute! I used to love scrapbooking but now with the blog it’s not something I do anymore. This looks really do-able though; it’s quick, cute and lovely!

• November 3, 2015 / 9:37 pm

Aw thanks I use to do loads before I started blogging scrap booking was one of them! Now I don’t even manage to write my paper journal! Xx

19. October 31, 2015 / 10:02 pm

That’s a great idea. I’ve seen similar ideas but with plain or floral paper and the ends pushed up so they look like butterflies

• November 3, 2015 / 9:38 pm

I’ve made some for my friends little girls for their bedrooms they are really easy xx

20. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    November 1, 2015 / 11:37 am

Ah Clare, I love this idea! You really are the master crafter! When the frame is full, it will be a lovely collection of memories! x

21. November 1, 2015 / 5:32 pm

What a fabulous idea. I’m very sentimental like that too, I hate throwing away anything that I can keep as a reminder of good times, and this is a lovely way to put them to use. It will be a lovely picture of memories when it is finished!

• November 3, 2015 / 9:48 pm

Thank you 🙂 and an excuse to go on more holidays!! Xx

22. November 2, 2015 / 2:52 pm

Aw what a fab idea, I love it! We haven’t been on many family holidays yet but hopefully we will do over the next few years after our wedding! I will keep this in mind 🙂