The Harrods Christmas Grotto

For the last two years we have taken Monkey to see Father Christmas at Harrods. We buy a photo each year and its become one of our family traditions. Its amazing value for money and you need to book well in advance. Normally the booking opens at the beginning of September, you can register for an reminder by email. You also need to be a Harrods Rewards Member, which you can apply for online.

Harrods Christmas Grotto-2

Even then when it opens it fills up fast which is why we tend to end up with a date in November. They also offer  a pre-school version during the week in November as well. This time we opted for the standard experience. To book it costs £10, however you get the money back on your reward card to spend in store (anywhere but the grotto). In past years we have spent it in the food hall – the cheese is amazing, on Christmas decorations or like this year in the bookstore. There are some lovely children’s books and special editions which I have not seen elsewhere, ideal for Christmas presents.

IMG_4419

The Christmas Grotto is located on the fourth floor within the Disney store. Each year the set up is different this year we were welcomed by  Peter and Polly mouse and went through into a room full of activities. This is so much better than the queuing we use to have to endure when we were kids! It keeps them entertained but at the same time controls the number of children through the experience. Initially there is a photo opportunity with some giant toys and blocks, before coming across the first game. Present throwing. Monkey loved this and he was surprisingly good.

IMG_4418

There are helpers all around to speak to the children and keep them engrossed in the activities. Our next stop was the naughty or nice machine:

IMG_4436

The participant stands on a scale and then the arrow points in one direction or another. Of course Monkey was on the nice side which we haven’t heard the end of since…. He wanted us to have a go too, Hubby ended up on the naughty side and I of course on the nice side. He loved it. They also had a giant piano which they could run up and down on.

IMG_4422

Excuse the blurred photo but Monkey enjoyed it so much he was running back and forth so it was very difficult to catch him motionless. The area is a good size and although each booked session was a sell out (as normal) this year, it did not feel as though there were too many children in the area. Monkey could try everything out easily. When we decided to go through and see Father Christmas we only needed to wait a couple of minutes.

IMG_4466

Monkey visited Father Christmas in the West Wing. There are four doors so I assume this gives multiple opportunities during the busy periods and reduces the waiting times. Monkey had a lovely conversation with Father Christmas about his recent holiday to Canada and the fact that he wanted to see the bears. The reason we come back year after year is that it is so much more than just a photo. We were in with Father Christmas for a good 15 minutes. Monkey enjoyed the conversation immensely, he was given a little green bag which contained a giant chocolate button (limited edition), some playing cards and a booklet of games as well as a badge. He was very proud of his little bag. They also captured some lovely photos.

You can purchase various photo options, we opted for three different A4 size mounted photos which cost £29.50. You could buy one for £13.50.

IMG_4440

From visiting Father Christmas we went to the Disney Christmas Cafe for lunch. They offer a buffet menu, which you can find here the adult price is £37.50 and includes a soft drink or glass of wine, for the children it is £25 each. There was a good selection of food for all of us, especially the desserts which were delicious. The only thing I would say is that they have disney films playing which caused us a few issues in getting Monkey to actually eat his lunch, as he was more interested in the film!

IMG_4452

As far as Grottos go its no surprise that this one is a sell out every year. We will be back in 2016 with Monkey and our new edition…assuming we can get tickets of course!

What are your favourite memories of visiting Father Christmas as a child?

My Kid Doesn't Poop Rainbows
Travel Monkey

1. November 27, 2015 / 9:00 am

it looks amazing! so much better than my days of visiting Santa. I like the idea of having activities during the wait, that’s always put me off going to big stores with my boys.

2. November 27, 2015 / 9:16 am

This looks so much better than what I did as a child. Going to see Santa in a garden centre is not quite the same as seeing him in Harrods. I always want to buy everything in there and I am not even a kid!

3. Lisa (Travel Loving Family)
    November 27, 2015 / 9:16 am

We are going to Harrods Santa’s grotto for the first time very soon:) Cannot wait! This article has made me even more excited

4. mytravelmonkey
    November 27, 2015 / 11:18 am

We went last year and really enjoyed it. It’s definitely a lovely day out

5. November 27, 2015 / 1:56 pm

Wow that’s amazing, I wish we lived closer so I could take my sons there. It looks enchanting and such a beautiful event for children x

6. November 27, 2015 / 6:45 pm

That’s a lovely tradition to have and something I”m sure he’ll remember. We always saw father christmas at our church christmas fete, which was odd really as we knew who was under the suit, though of course he never let on!!

7. November 27, 2015 / 9:10 pm

This looks absolutely fantastic! So much fun. I recently took the children to Santa’s grotto. They were so excited and so was I!! x

8. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    November 27, 2015 / 9:36 pm

Oh, wow – what a magical experience! Harrods is fabulous any time of year, I can imagine how amazing it is for Christmas. Santa’s grotto sounds like an amazing family experience x

9. November 28, 2015 / 12:48 am

Loving the new look of the blog! I’m looking forward to taking the kids to the city this year for some Christmas festivities ?

10. Muuka
    November 28, 2015 / 8:55 pm

It sounds like are ally great day out for all three of you and I love the blue Christmas sweater you have on him. So adorable

11. November 28, 2015 / 10:57 pm

We went too – it was so lovely 🙂 unfortunately our toddler didn’t behave in a lovely manner ha ha 😀 I am yet to write my post about the experience but this just reminded me that I should do it too! Sounds like you had a good day.

12. November 29, 2015 / 8:23 pm

That sounds incredible! We’ve taken lamb to see Father Christmas twice already and it’s not even December! I love how they give you the £10 back in rewards to spend in the store. It’s been years since I’ve been to harrods and I didng realise they had a Disney store now! Xx

13. November 30, 2015 / 11:20 am

This is such a lovely way of meeting Father Christmas, the whole experience sounds brilliant! Always love a trip to Harrods. #fartglitter

14. Mama
    November 30, 2015 / 11:35 am

Wow, looks amazing. We’ve taken our tot to the same Santa for the last two years now. Will be weird to find a new one when we move next year.
    Thanks for linking up to #fartglitter x

15. November 30, 2015 / 6:21 pm

The Grotto and the whole experience sounds and looks amazing and no wonder it sells out so quickly. Love the idea of the Disney cafe too. Wish we lived closer to visit x

16. November 30, 2015 / 11:33 pm

This does sound like great value. I can’t remember going to grottos to meet Father Christmas as a child but I went to children’s parties at clubs my parents were involved in where the big man arrived to see the children. It was always so exciting. Tin Box Tot is now the right age to understand Christmas and we have started visiting grottos and meeting Santa. I’m absolutely loving it (so is she!) #MondayEscapes

17. December 3, 2015 / 11:23 am

Oh this looks nice! We are off to a safari park on christmas eve to see Santa. It’s really exciting isn’t it? #fartglitter

18. December 10, 2015 / 5:02 pm

What a lovely place to go as a kid… and I guess even as an adult, because I certainly would love to go too. I’m impressed that it’s not easy to get it and that they open for booking already in September! That’s crazy, wow! But I can totally see it’s worth it 😀

Thank you for linking up with #MondayEscapes