Mothers Day Crafts with Baker Ross

Mothers day feels early this year, Im not sure if thats actually the case or just that its sneaking up on me? We generally don’t send cards between Monkey and the grandparents for Mothers or Fathers day although I know there are now Grandparent cards in the shops. However it is nice for him to make a craft or similar for them insted. Being generally short of time and tired from the pregnancy its always good when a company comes to the rescue with some kits that can be used for that purpose. Thank you Baker Ross.

Mothers Day Crafts

There are three craft kits which Monkey and I sat down to over the weekend, the first was the Tulip Pencil Pot Kit which is an ideal craft if you only have around 15 minutes to make something. Monkey has already decided that the blue tulip is his and it currently resides on his chest of draws.

IMG_9556

IMG_9559The kit contains four green pencil pots which are made of thick cardboard which has been laminated and so shiny. One of the things I like about the Baker Ross craft kits is the quality, I am often disappointed now when I go shopping to the high street and try different brands.

There are four foam tulips with corresponding leave and four sets of ladybird and butterfly stickers to go with them. Initially Monkey decided which coloured stickers to match up with each tulip and then we set about making them. The only additional item you need is glue. To minimise mess we actually used double sided tape and it worked really well. Once the tulip and the leaves are fixed then all you need to do is add the stickers. Peeling off the backing helped with Monkey’s fine motor skills. The RRP for a pack of 4 is £2.99.

IMG_9574

The next kit we tried out was the Bug Fingerprint Decoration Kit, Monkey loves anything that has stamping involved. By that he means ink pads and the ability to put his fingers all over them! So when he saw this he was very excited and wanted to start making finger prints straight away. I managed to hold him back until after we had assembled the insects.

IMG_9561

IMG_9562In each kit you get five different insects – ladybird, caterpillar, butterfly, dragonfly and bumble bee. Each of the foam insect has corresponding foam stickers to build up the decoration, these parts have a sticky back so you do not need any glue. Making it ideal for a journey or restaurant make as its pretty mess free. You also get five ribbons and four ink pads in purple, blue, black and orange. Monkey found some of the foam pieces fiddly to apply although it helped with his fine motor skills, he also had trouble putting some of them into the right places. Once we had made all five Monkey then started to add his finger prints.

IMG_9568

IMG_9575This was by far his favourite bit. In total it took about 40 minutes to put all of them together and then apply the fingerprints. At 3.5 years old this is about the extent of his staying power, an activity longer than 40 minutes will not hold his attention. A pack of five retails at £3.49, they also do a larger class room sized pack of thirty for £19.80.

The third kit was the Butterfly Ceramic Flowerpots that come in a pack of four. They measure 7cm each and so are ideal for little house plants and make a great Mothers Day Gift.

IMG_9576I decided that we should use acrylic paints to decorate them as the give a much richer colour than the pre mixed kids paints you can get. Monkey though it was great he was allowed to use ‘adult’ paint and we also used some finer paint brushes than usual. The plant pots started off blank. The come well packaged with bubble wrap and polystyrene for padding. Retailing at £3.96 for four they are definitely a much cheaper option than the paint your own studios we have visited before.

IMG_9582

IMG_5022It took Monkey about half an hour to paint two of the pots, including the inside of them – which he was a little obsessed with. Of course I had to join in and did the other ones. It was the most messy craft out of the three but my favourite by far as I think they look really good. Of course we had to go and get some little plug plants to go into them. I am sure the grandparents will like their little plants I know Monkey enjoyed picking them out at the garden centre.

Have you got any Mothers day crafts planned ready for the 6th? I would love to hear about them in the comments below.

I was sent these craft kits for the purpose of a review, all opinions are my own.

1. February 24, 2016 / 7:16 am

I am sure that Mothering Sunday is early this year. This has reminded me that we need to do something this weekend and I love these, such a lovely idea 🙂 #bloggersclubuk

2. February 24, 2016 / 7:57 am

It definitely feels early this year and I have my dad’s birthday two days later, busy time! These look great and really good value for money. x #BloggerClubUK

3. February 24, 2016 / 8:34 am

Ohh I love all if these! I never buy things like this but I definitely should, looks like Monkey had a lot of fun. You’ve reminded me I need to get my mum something!xx #BloggerClubUK

4. A Moment with Franca
    February 24, 2016 / 8:46 am

I love these ideas!! They are great and the end results where really good!! Also what a fun thing to do with your kids. Thanks for hosting, 🙂 xx #BloggerClubUK

5. February 24, 2016 / 9:10 am

Both Mother’s Day and Easter are early this year! I love these craft ideas – especially the plant pots. #BloggerClubUK

6. Sara Handy Herbs
    February 24, 2016 / 9:39 am

These all look good fun to make and look so effective. Love the plant pots especially. I bet Monkey was proud of his efforts. We are a bit disorganised this year so had better get cracking! #BloggerClubUK

7. KidGearUK
    February 24, 2016 / 9:55 am

Oh I love the flowerpot painting, my boys would love decorating those and putting plants in. Mothers Day is definitely earlier this year, I haven’t got anything for my mum yet, I better sort it quick!
    #BloggerClubUK

8. February 24, 2016 / 10:34 am

Love all of these crafts – Monkey did a great job with them. My girls would love all of these – especially the finger print insects 🙂 #BloggerClubUK

9. February 24, 2016 / 10:34 am

How sweet, what lovely craft ideas for little ones. #BloggerClubUK

10. February 24, 2016 / 11:19 am

That looks like a fun craft activity to do with the little ones. Ever since my 5-year old started school last year, we don’t do much of these! Really ought to do more, especially during breaks 🙂 #BloggerClubUK

11. February 24, 2016 / 12:05 pm

The house plant pots look really cute! My mummy would love one of these! Some great ideas for Mothers Day! #BloggerClubUK

12. February 24, 2016 / 12:18 pm

I look forward to reading your craft posts Clare. Looks like Monkey has really enjoyed himself this week. I really like the bug fingerprint activity, so good for fine motor skills & it’s good to see you can buy a classroom pack. #BloggerClubUK

13. randommusings29
    February 24, 2016 / 12:46 pm

These all sound great. The plant pots are a great gift and they are a lot cheaper than I was expecting them to be 🙂 Thanks for hosting #bloggerclubuk
    Debbie

14. February 24, 2016 / 1:35 pm

The Baker Ross kits sound great, and the finished craft looks fab! Marianna’s still a bit young, but next year I’ll have no excuse not to be crafty… x #bloggerclubuk

15. February 24, 2016 / 4:27 pm

these are cute – love the painted pots. I think mothers day is early this year?! #bloggerclubuk

16. February 24, 2016 / 4:42 pm

The kits you try always look really impressive. I think we will get something like the ceramic pots one to try for the Easter holidays #BloggerClubUK

17. February 24, 2016 / 6:12 pm

Love all 3 craft projects, but in particular the pots – such a great idea for a gift 🙂

18. February 24, 2016 / 7:21 pm

Looks like lots of fun, Mini M would love the bug fingerprint decoration kit I’m sure #bloggerclubuk

19. Leah Miller
    February 24, 2016 / 7:27 pm

These have turned out beautifully! I love all the bright colours! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun doing it too! xx

20. February 24, 2016 / 7:46 pm

It seems really early this year! I love the idea of decorating plant pots, I’m after some new herbs for the kitchen so may go with this idea – win win!

21. Unhinged Mummy (aka Janine Woods)
    February 24, 2016 / 8:49 pm

Oh I love the look of these. I don’t really like arts and crafts but these look fab and what a perfect gift for mothers day. I may do something like this for my daughter from my grandaughter. It’s her first mother’s day this year. Thanks for sharing this idea.

#bloggerclubuk

22. February 24, 2016 / 9:19 pm

Love the plant pots! Very tempted by lots of things on the baker ross website #bloggerclubuk

23. February 24, 2016 / 9:28 pm

I completely agree, I’m sure Mother’s Day is early this year!! All my family love plants so I’m loving the idea of painting a plant pot for the Grandparents, going to be on the hunt for plant pots now 🙂 #BloggerClubUK x

24. Coombe Mill
    February 24, 2016 / 9:38 pm

I love the look of these crafts and so simple to do for little ones too #bloggerclubuk

25. The Anxious Dragon
    February 25, 2016 / 6:10 am

Motheres day is very early this year due to an early easter (in march rather than april, who decides these things??). I am a fan of craft kits for kids. Im not a naturally talented crafter I think they are a great way of helping you produce something with your little ones that look half decent when theyre finished. #bloggerclubuk

26. The Pramshed
    February 25, 2016 / 10:14 am

I love all the arts and crafts that you get up to with your son, I hope that when my little one is older I have the inspiration like you to be as crafty. I’m following your blog for ideas. Claire x #BloggerClubUK

27. agentspitback
    February 25, 2016 / 11:46 am

What lovely ideas! I like the flower pots idea! I think it’s more meaningful to give handmade gifts!!! #BloggerClubUK … and kids have so much fun as well.

28. February 26, 2016 / 8:00 am

These are absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing 🙂 I hadn’t even thought of doing crafts for the Nans, so will try these 🙂 #bloggerclubuk

29. lizzie ( firstooth )
    February 27, 2016 / 8:00 am

These are so cute! I love crafts but each time I attempt them with my tiny ones, they either eat it or throw it all. Maybe next year we can do some mothers day crafts. I’d really love to have something like this as a keepsake

30. Leah Miller
    February 27, 2016 / 7:27 pm

These look so cute! We don’t tend to make a big deal of Mothers Day in our house, but I do think the tiny human’s Nanny would love a painted plant pot for her crazy collection of cacti (!) xx

31. newmummyblogcom
    February 27, 2016 / 9:22 pm

These look brilliant for Mother’s Day, or any occasion. They sounds such good value, and very well lasting too. I’d definitely try these with H in a year or so, though I could do the finger print butterflies with her now…. I might do something similar for her grandparents 🙂 Thanks for sharing and hosting #bloggerclubuk

32. cvnxena
    February 28, 2016 / 7:20 pm

these are so lovely! I really like the hanging bugs and the daffodil pots! such a great way to enjoy the run up to mothers day and the spring!

33. February 29, 2016 / 6:55 am

Aw these are rather lovely! My children would love to make something like this.

34. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    February 29, 2016 / 9:53 am

Monkey is a true artist! Your crafts turned out so well. Acrylic was a great choice for the flower posts – the colors are really bright & beautiful. We haven’t started any Mothers Day crafts yet – must get busy! #bloggerclubuk

35. Yvonne - Double the Monkey Business
    February 29, 2016 / 9:05 pm

Craft kit – what a brilliant idea and these look great. I have never heard of Baker Ross but will need to check this out. My kids love doing crafts but tend to get bored quickly so these look perfect X

36. March 1, 2016 / 9:21 am

These are lovely! I adore the pen holders. What a fantastic idea for Mother’s Day. I need to get my skates on

37. March 1, 2016 / 10:39 pm

The little pots are great! I want to do something like this with Little Button and plant things to grow ?? #BloggerClubUK