Planning a Baby Shower – I had a baby shower for Monkey which was a great laugh, however it was at mine and so that required a certain amount of pre work. To be honest I couldn’t be bothered with the prep this time round and hadn’t really given a baby shower a second thought. That was until a friend of mine suggested it and convinced me it was a good idea. I don’t really believe in lavish baby showers with expensive gifts. I see it more as away of catching up with your nearest and dearest girl friends before life changes beyond all recognition and you don’t have a chance to catch up again for several weeks or in some cases several months.
Decide on a Venue:
As I knew I didn’t want it at home my options were:
- Bribe an unexpecting friend or family member to have the baby shower round their house – since I had left it very last minute this seemed a but unfair
- Consider a meal out
- Hire a room or a hall – it wasn’t going to be a big lavish affair so this seemed a bit unnecessary
- Spa Day – which would normally be the top of my list but they can be expensive and it didn’t seem right to land this on people either
- Afternoon Tea – ideal as it would be the entertainment as well, you can normally get some pretty good deals and all of the girls I wanted to invite enjoy afternoon tea
Send out your invites:
As everything was last minute I needed up setting up a messaging group on Facebook to invite girl friends and try and work out the best date for us all to get together. This worked adequately although I don’t have any cute invites to stick in Kipper’s pregnancy journal. There are some lovely ones on Pinterest – please see the link to my Baby Shower board below.
I made it very clear in my invites that it was more about getting together than gift giving a
Delegate, delegate, delegate:
As I was still at work when my baby shower dates were fixed I was very lucky to have a couple of friends that took over running the ‘entertainment’ and finding the venue.
Decide on finishing touches:
There are so many great ideas out there if you are planning a shower either your own or for a friend. Check out my pinterest board for some ideas.
My lovely friends had put on a few games to play
- A couple of quizzes about the names of celebrities babies which I did very badly at and the gestation period for different mammals which was pretty hilarious and the perfect conversation starter over an afternoon tea
- Name the scan picture, a series of pictures of body parts which you needed to name
- Pin the sperm on the egg … luckily you don’t need to be very good at this to actually fall pregnant!
- Guess the item in the box – a series of obvious and not so obvious baby supplies
They had also set out some notes to be completed – words of wisdom, one week, one month and three months in. Which I think is a lovely touch and a great keepsake.
Record the good times & enjoy:
I had a nominated photographer to catch a couple of well timed snaps:
If you are organising a baby shower soon or an afternoon tea I hope you have a lovely time
If you’ve liked this post please follow me on my social media channels: