The Baby Show & The British Red Cross

The season for Baby Shows is in full swing. I am an absolute lover of baby shows purely because it combines my biggest passions of my children and shopping, after all who doesn’t go ga ga for the latest time saving device or cute baby grow? But there is a more serious side which I wanted to bring to your attention. At each Baby Show venue The British Red Cross hold a series of sessions providing invaluable first aid advice & tips for all new and expectant parents. We were lucky enough to be invited along to one.

baby-first-aidthe-british-red-cross-at-the-baby-show-2

The sessions are free and will run through out the day, but they are popular so I would suggest making a bee line for their stand as soon as you arrive to book up for your preferred time.

British Red Cross will be raising awareness of how important it is for parents and parents to be to learn first aid skills as for babies and children. They will be talking to parents about the first aid emergencies parents are most worried about and how to make sure parents have the confidence and skills to act.

Learning first aid skills are important preparation for looking after children and knowing what to do for possible situations such as choking, burns and bumps will give parents confidence and the potential to be able to save lives.

Our introduction covered three areas:

• Choking – the lady demonstrating used a doll to explain how to deal with choking, there were dolls placed around the theatre so that everyone could have a try. With the recent Facebook threads hitting the mummy groups about grapes it is a skill worth learning.
  • Burns – she dispelled the myths around burns and what to do should your child be one of the 123 kids taken to A&E a week with significant burns. It was a valuable reminder – what burns a child may not necessarily burn you as an adult. Again she used cling film to demonstrate how to deal with it in a simple and calm manner
  • Seizures– caused by over heating is a very common occurrence. As soon as you manage to cool the baby down then it will stop, we discussed ways to do this and what to do once the seizure has stopped.

The session lasted around half an hour and left me thinking that I should really look into attending the full course. You can find out more about these courses here they are run at 50 venues throughout the UK and would definitely be a worth while investment of time based on my experience at The Baby Show.

IMG_5004

In July 2015 the British Read Cross launched its ‘First Aid Rapped Up’ campaign aimed specifically at parents and carers. As part of the campaign they developed a free baby and child first aid app.  Which you can download from their website here and you will be pleased to know is available on both Apple and Android. It includes a series of videos showing you how to deal with certain situations as they arise. If you do nothing else today I would encourage you to down load it. I have included a You Tube video below about the app which also demonstrates how it works.

So if you are attending a baby show in the coming months then I would highly recommend a visit to the British Red Cross stand before you get too carried away with the gorgeous clothes and accessories on offer and run out of time. The advice you receive may just save your babies life, lets support them in the amazing work that they do.

1. March 22, 2016 / 10:36 am

This is such an important thing to know, well done Red Cross for helping parents be aware x

2. March 22, 2016 / 10:59 am

I love the Red Cross, they have such easily accessible information for everyone. Thanks for linking up with #TriedTested

3. March 22, 2016 / 1:45 pm

This is such an important thing to know and although I have the app on my phone already, I don’t think many people or enough people know about it! Its so hand to have literally with you at all times and such an important thing to know. I think more people should have access to first aid courses as they are useful whether it be for a baby, child or adult 🙂

#TriedTested

4. March 23, 2016 / 6:47 am

How fab that they offered this at the baby show, I went to a baby show with both my pregnancies as they are great! but, we didn’t have this available! x

5. Kate Tunstall, The Less-Refined Mind
    March 23, 2016 / 7:21 am

This is so important. I attended a course when my daughter was tiny and am sorry to say I don’t engender everything now. Luckily that’s because I’ve never had to call on those memories. But I’m definitely go again second time around.

Can’t be long for you now? Good luck with everything! And the awards. (You had my vote.) X

#BloggerClubUK

6. March 23, 2016 / 7:48 am

Sounds like a really worthwhile session. I think basic first aid should be taught to everyone. It’s really important to know what to do in an emergency situation.

Sally @ Life Loving
    #BloggerClubUK

7. March 23, 2016 / 7:51 am

I recently completed a first aid course and I found it really beneficial. It’s great that you’re sharing this because first aid is something that everyone should know but not a lot of people do. I’m not likely to be attending a baby show but I do think it’s great that something like this is available to parents!

#bloggerclubUK

8. March 23, 2016 / 8:58 am

This is a fantastic thing that they are doing this – I am going to a baby show in Norwich soon which I hope has something similar. It’s so important that us Mummys learn first aid! xx #BloggerClubUK

9. March 23, 2016 / 9:03 am

I think this is such a great post as anything to help improve child safety and increase awareness of the great work the British Red Cross do is amazing! Well written, informative and potentially life changing for someone who reads the advice. I’m off to find the app now.

10. March 23, 2016 / 11:43 am

We did the same course at the Baby Show @ Excel. It was so helpful. Even as someone who is first aid trained it was helpful to refresh my knowledge and know that my training still covers the most up to date advice. Love the app, too #bloggerclubuk

11. March 23, 2016 / 12:34 pm

I remember going to the Excel baby show in 2013 when I was pregnant. we attended the red cross session and it was great. def recommend too 🙂 #BloggerClubUK

12. March 23, 2016 / 12:47 pm

Such important things for parents to learn – we were taught how to deal with choking when Jessica was first discharged from hospital but it’s certainly something I need to update. The app sounds like a good idea too. #BloggerClubUK

13. March 23, 2016 / 12:49 pm

Such important skills to learn – will be going to the Baby & Toddler show next month and will definitely make sure I pay the Red Cross stand a visit. It’s been too long since I was taught how to deal with some of these things. The app sounds like a great idea. #BloggerClubUK

14. March 23, 2016 / 5:17 pm

These courses are so brilliant aren’t they? I did one recently with St John’s Ambulance through my daughter’s school and it taught me so much. Thanks for hosting! #bloggerclubuk

15. fairyqueen
    March 23, 2016 / 6:00 pm

This is such an important aspect to cover and the app is something that I didn’t know about, thanks for putting it out there. I think we are so lucky to have so many courses around to raise awareness of first aid and many others.
    Thanks

mainy – myrealfairy

#bloggerclubuk

16. pottyadventures
    March 23, 2016 / 10:05 pm

Great advice and it;s great that the British Red Cross are working so hard to get this information out into wider society. Thanks for sharing.

17. Rambles, Rants, Writings
    March 24, 2016 / 12:36 am

This is a fantastic post, it’s so important to know what to do. Thanks for sharing!

Janet 🙂 #BloggerClubUK

18. March 24, 2016 / 7:55 am

Such an important thing to learn. I’m ped first aid trained but when my toddler choked last week (he had a vomiting bug and was choking as he was trying to be sick, it was super scary) I still panicked…lord knows what I’d have done had I been completely clueless.
    Fab that it was at the baby show too, not something everyone thinks about in the midst of pregnancy chaos.xx
    #BloggerClubUK

19. March 24, 2016 / 9:37 am

This sounds so useful! I’ve done a few regular first aid courses, but never baby / toddler specific. x #bloggerclubuk

20. March 24, 2016 / 2:03 pm

First Aid is such an important thing to know. I went on a course for my little one, I feel much better knowing some basics to get me by should the worst happen x

21. March 24, 2016 / 5:25 pm

Sounds like very useful information! Thanks for sharing 🙂
    x Alice
    #bloggerclubuk

22. mackenzieglanville
    March 25, 2016 / 8:55 am

Such important info! I did a course when my first baby was little, but need a refresher #BloggerclubUK

23. March 25, 2016 / 8:57 am

Such an important topic! I did a baby first aid course when T was tiny and it was great (although I worry about how much I can actually remember now!) Thanks for sharing x #bloggerclubuk

24. March 27, 2016 / 2:52 pm

I’ve never been to a baby show, but I did have a first aid course at work a while back which included practising CPR for babies and children as well as adults. It was very worthwhile doing this but I think it’s important to take refresher courses as I’m beginning to forget what I learned and don’t feel so confident about it. I’m definitely going to look for the app now. Thanks for sharing with #BloggerClubUK

25. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    March 28, 2016 / 6:35 pm

First aid is definitely such an important thing to know! Especially for parents. This sounds like such a great course. They touched on really important points. I remember learning cpr on a doll – it’s a really effective way to learn. #bloggerclubuk x