24 hours in Cambridge with little ones

24 hours in Cambridge with little ones: As you are reading this I will be back at work for the first time in just over nine months! As part of preparing mentally for going back to work I have convinced the other half to allow me to book one weekend away a month. A family only weekend, one where we take the kids somewhere special, which allows us to explore and also relax a little. Ideally a city since there are so many places in the UK that we have yet to visit. Our first little mini break was last weekend and we went to visit Cambridge. Its a place we have often said we would visit since on a good run it is only two hours away from us.

24 hours in Cambridge with Kids

As it was his birthday Hubby had the day off so we took advantage and left straight after school, meaning we missed most of the bad traffic and arrived at the Premier Inn Cambridge City East around six. I am not going to go into the hotel as I wrote all about it my review post here. Over dinner that evening we planned what we would like to do. I had already brought a little guide book and map, since we are both insanely busy I knew we wouldn’t get round to planning anything before we went. Monkey is now at the age where he has input into the days activities too. It worked well keeping him engaged over dinner and avoiding the inevitable mummy can I play with your phone question..

24 hours in Cambridge with Kids

Sunday we already had plans to visit Wimpole Estate a National Trust property, which we did although the weather was pretty rubbish so I am not sure we did it justice. This meant that we only really had 24 hours in Cambridge, question is how much can you squeeze in with a baby and 4.5 year old?

24 hours in Cambridge with Kids

Morning: We had a lazy couple of hours, even though both kids were up around 6am we actually didn’t make it down to breakfast until around 8.30. I made sure we all stocked up on food for the twenty five minute walk into Cambridge to our first stop

24 hours in Cambridge with Kids

I love walking around Cambridge, I love the grandure of it all, the yellow stone and the architecture. We had brought Monkey’s scooter so it meant our walk in was a lot quicker and he had fun scooting across Parkers Piece which I can imagine looks lovely when all the flowers are out. It did however tire him out so when we spotted Chocolat Chocolat in the high street we made a bee line for it. I would recommend a visit, the smell was immense and they had some very interesting flavours!

24 hours in Cambridge with Kids

We then walked to the Downing Street sight where some of the musuems are located. Monkey wanted to visit The Sedgwick Museum of Earth Sciences as it contained fossils museum, since we made some Dinosaur Fossils ourself for one of his school projects. We had Kipper in the buggy and there are a lot of steps up to the entrance, but if you use the intercom a member of staff will come and let you in via the lift. I loved it as soon as I walked in. It has that museum smell I remember from being a little girl. Monkey was fascinated with everything he especially loved the dinosaurs and the meterioits. They have a little shop which also holds some activity boxes for various ages from two upwards. We found them a little late, but if we return then they looked like a great way to explore the collection.

24 hours in Cambridge with Kids

Lunchtime: I think we stayed for about two hours, after a quick snack we decided to walk over to the Cambridge University Botanic Gardens. We made light work of the twenty minute walk epically with Monkey’s scooter. We managed to stay off of the main roads, I love the sandy coloured bricks and we passed a couple of great looking pubs too. This time of year we only needed a little while to wander. We went through the glasshouses first towards the cafe. Its just about wide enough to get a large buggy through and Monkey loved to explore the little nooks and crannies, he was particularly impressed with the spiky tree. The cafe is a reasonable size, we all had sausage rolls and cake, before setting off to the fountain to find a very large piece of ice! We also walked through the Winter garden which was full of colour. There is a great gift shop too!!

24 hours in Cambridge with Kids  24 hours in Cambridge with Kids

Afternoon: It was time for a little but of adult time so we walked along to the river Cam to see the punts. We had to negotiate pretty hard as Monkey was desperate to give them a go. Instead under promises of returning in the warmer weather we managed a couple of drinks in the Anchor. A pub which is right on the river and one I use to visit in my old uni days! We taught Monkey a game of hangman. Its a multi level pub so not ideal for buggies but we were lucky and managed to get a table as you walked in. They also have a restaurant upstairs.

24 hours in Cambridge with Kids

Early Evening: Leaving the pub at dusk we walked back into Cambridge along past Kings. Its such an impressive building and the early evening light made it look even more so. I think if we were to stay longer I would have liked to walk around more taking in the university buildings and architecture. Obviously with two small children that wasn’t really an option. Although Monkey was quite taken with the 3D map we found. After promising Monkey a curry we headed to The Curry King which was on our route back to the hotel. They did not have high chairs so failed at the first hurdle and to be honest the meal wasn’t great. Its not one I would go back to thats for sure! But Monkey was happy as he really wanted a curry and we had promised him. We were back at the hotel by around 8pm.

24 hours in Cambridge with Kids  24 hours in Cambridge with Kids

It was a lovely day out exploring, there is plenty more we could have got up to and hope to go back again. Especially as we need to go on a punt! Have you visited Cambridge?

Linking up with #CountryKids and #CityTripping

24 hours in Cambridge with Kids

1. February 14, 2017 / 1:20 pm

I love Cambridge, in fact as it’s half term this week we plan to do a day at Wimpole Hall followed my a walk around Cambridge shopping centre, so my little one can spend some of her John Lewis vouchers she’s been hoarding!
    Punting is soooo much fun! If you do go back in the summer, I’d recommend paying the extra to have one punted for you! We went for the ‘self drive’ option last time and it was much more tiring than it looked!!

2. February 14, 2017 / 5:57 pm

That is such a good idea to plan little breaks away to motivate yourself now you’re back at work. Your family weekend in cambridge sounds lovely, it’s not somewhere I’d really thought of visiting before but it’s definitely on my list now xx
    Louise | Squished Blueberries recently posted…A Cardboard Box | The Ordinary MomentsMy Profile

3. February 15, 2017 / 8:48 am

Cambridge is so lovely – glad you had a lovely time even though it looks a bit chilly xx #bloggerclubuk

4. February 15, 2017 / 8:50 am

I really loved this post as I’m from Cambridge myself. We went to the Anchor last time we were there too! I’m glad you had fun and definitely recommend going back when the weather is warmer. #bloggerclubuk

5. February 15, 2017 / 9:29 am

You managed to fit loads in. Those fossils look great. Ive not been to Cambridge for years, looks like you had a great time.
    #bloggerclubuk

6. Natalie @KidGearUK
    February 15, 2017 / 10:57 am

I’ve never been to Cambridge, even though it’s not too far from us. It looks lovely though, will have to visit one day. #BloggerClubUK

7. February 15, 2017 / 11:28 am

Cambridge sounds absolutely perfect for a day out. and the museum would be perfect for b. he loves dinosaurs and bones and fossils. our museum in Bristol has some similar displays. I so thought the fossil was “cake” when you popped the pic on IG ! hehe! #bloggerclubuk

8. February 15, 2017 / 2:04 pm

I so want to do this and well done for actually getting it planned and done. Would love to visit the gardens they look amazing #BloggerClubUk

9. February 15, 2017 / 2:29 pm

I’ve never been to Cambridge but you make it sound appealing. I love your idea of visiting places like this for a special family weekend. #BloggerClubUK
    Anne recently posted…Fiction Express from BoolinoMy Profile

10. February 15, 2017 / 3:21 pm

Iv’e been to Cambridge a few times, but not with my little one in tow. Your post has inspired me to think about having a family break there too!

11. February 15, 2017 / 3:58 pm

What a lovely idea to have breaks away every month. I’ve never been to Cambridge, it looks lively. Hope work is going okay. #bloggerclubuk
    Jaki recently posted…I Love You More – Wednesday Wisdom 16My Profile

12. February 15, 2017 / 4:11 pm

Cambridge is a lovely place. It’s a great idea to do this every month. #bloggerclubUK

13. February 15, 2017 / 5:08 pm

I’ve not been to Cambridge myself but from the look of the photos it looks really nice. Shame your curry was a bit rubbish. Love the idea of getting away one weekend a month. I’d love to do that. It’s so hard to find the time.
    Sally recently posted…New CareerMy Profile

14. February 15, 2017 / 7:50 pm

I’d never thought of a weekend break with little ones; the thought of it fills me with dread, but this has made me keen to try! #BloggerClubUK

15. February 15, 2017 / 9:25 pm

I’m in shock you managed to do so much with the children in tow!!! Fantastic idea of booking one weekend away every month! I think I’d go mental. Hope returning to work has been ok! #BloggerClubUK
    Sara recently posted…How mindfulness can help heal a physical injuryMy Profile

16. February 15, 2017 / 10:13 pm

I studied at Cambridge so it has such a strong pull on my heart- strings. The 3 map was interesting to find as was not there when I was a student but my son loved it. Such a special city and pleased you enjoyed it
    Kate Holmes recently posted…Inspirational blogger interview – Donna WishartMy Profile

17. February 16, 2017 / 10:55 am

We have not been, it looks lovely, especially the pub by the river :-). Now my son is nearly 2 I want to get back to wandering around new places that we had started doing with my little girl before her baby bro came along. #UKBloggerClub

18. February 16, 2017 / 2:17 pm

Oh this looks like a lovely idea! Might have to add Cambridge to the Bucket List for 2017! #bloggerclubuk

19. February 16, 2017 / 8:21 pm

Super idea. It’s been a long time since we’ve been to Cambridge, I’d love to take the kids punting in the river. Looking forward to reading about more weekends away. #bloggerclubuk

20. February 16, 2017 / 8:28 pm

Considering I lived there for four years, i havent been to any of the museums! But that chocolate shop is soooo good and its right next to a MAC shop so double goodness! #bloggerclubUK

21. February 18, 2017 / 12:41 pm

How wonderful and a great place to visit before returning to work. I’ve not been for years, since my own children were the age of yours I would think! Nick’s brother used to live there post Uni and we loved the city. There is a real youthful vibe to Cambridge and so much to see and do. I love how you combine the museums and the gardens to have a real mix of activities.
    I think a return trip to go punting down the river is definitely in order, in fact making it an annual visit would be perfect!

I hope the reutn to work has been a smooth one and thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Country Kids 18th February 2017My Profile

22. February 18, 2017 / 2:32 pm

I recall the punts in Cambridge that are similar to those in Oxfordshire but would love to return again. #BloggerClubUK
    Helena recently posted…Going With the Flow #LittleLovesMy Profile

23. February 18, 2017 / 5:36 pm

Great idea for monthly weekends away, a change of scenery and some adventure for everyone! Looks like your first weekend went really well 🙂

24. February 19, 2017 / 7:34 am

It is such a good idea to have short trips like this. Cambridge is so lovely, we have family there so visit a lot. x #BLOGGERCLUBUK

25. February 19, 2017 / 9:01 am

Glad you had fun in Cambridge, its near where I live 😉 I hardly go there though, always the way when its on your doorstep. 🙂

Coming over from #CountryKids 🙂
    Sonia recently posted…#SilentSunday 19 February 2017My Profile

26. February 19, 2017 / 8:00 pm

Cambridge looks so lovely – it is somewhere i have never visited! The botanic gardens look so pretty. Thanks for sharing! #CountryKids

27. February 19, 2017 / 9:00 pm

Such a great idea to schedule some decent family time together. I love Cambridge and used to live fairly close by and used to visit regularly. Wimpole is one of my favourite National Trust places. #countrykids

28. February 20, 2017 / 11:49 am

I love Cambridge, it’s a beautiful city. It’s so good exploring with children, it gives you a whole new perspective. Looks like you all had a great weekend #countrykids

29. February 21, 2017 / 10:54 am

Going away once a month is such a lovely idea! And it will give you so many great collaboration opportunities. We haven’t visited Cambridge yet but it sounds like a lovely place to explore! #BloggerClubUK
    Becky, Cuddle Fairy recently posted…The Happiness Series with One Yummy MummyMy Profile

30. February 21, 2017 / 3:08 pm

I love Cambridge but I haven’t been back with the children since they were tiny and we took them punting. It’s great to see how many child-friendly places there are to visit in the city. My two would love the Museum of Earth Sciences and the Botanic Gardens. What a great idea to go away for a weekend once a month. #citytripping

31. February 21, 2017 / 3:52 pm

A weekend away a month is a great idea. You can get such good deals at the Premier Inn that it seems rude not to. Cambridge looks like a great place for kids – my boys would love punting and the Museum of Earth Science # countrykids
    Jo Addison recently posted…EVERYTHING You Need To Know About Bluestone With ToddlersMy Profile

32. February 21, 2017 / 4:05 pm

I love this idea of booking a weekend away a month – lovely to have a treat to focus on. I’ve only really visited Cambridge in winter, we did go on a punt snuggled under blankets but that was before my daughter. Love the sound of the Museum. Thanks for linking up with #citytripping
    Cathy (Mummytravels) recently posted…City Tripping #64My Profile

33. February 21, 2017 / 6:03 pm

Ah I love Cambridge. I went for my hen do. It was great. We went punting and it was August so lovely and hot. Definitely want to go back and now we have a toddler we may give it a go and try some of these places. Thanks! #BloggerClubUK

34. February 21, 2017 / 6:47 pm

City breaks with kids are a brilliant idea we love them. I have to confess we have never ever been to Cambridge! It looks like there is plenty to do so will definitely consider it for a future break. Thanks for sharing with #citytripping

35. February 21, 2017 / 9:34 pm

Great idea to plan breaks. Hope going back to work has been alright for you. Cambridge is such a lovely city, you’ve made me realise I haven’t been in yonks do should return. The museum sound great and I’m hugely impressed Monkey likes curry. My daughter dislikes anything spicy. #citytripping

36. February 22, 2017 / 9:20 am

I grew up in Cambridge, but haven’t taken my daughter yet – thanks for inspiring me to take her fora visit! #citytripping

37. February 23, 2017 / 1:53 am

I’ve been to Cambridge a few times, the last time was on our last visit to the UK over three and a half years ago, pre-baby. My (Mexican) husband really loved the city and was really impressed by the architecture and the atmosphere – it is beautiful. It was summer and we took a punt trip which gives you a whole other view of the backs of the colleges and is well worth doing. That chocolate shop sounds very tempting! #BloggerClubUK
    Mummy and the Mexicans recently posted…January in ReviewMy Profile

38. February 23, 2017 / 11:40 am

Wow, look at that sweet shop…I bet eyes & little hands were wandering!
    What a lovely idea to book in regular trips away, I’m sure it’s good for the soul to do something different and explore somewhere new. I haven’t been to Cambridge for over 10 years but your photos remind me of how beautiful the city is, full of wonderful old buildings and fascinating architecture
    Glad you had a good time
    #CountryKids