Paultons Park & The Lost Kingdom

Paultons Park & The Lost Kingdom: Over half term I took advantage of Kipper being in nursery to take Monkey to Paultons Park. Now Kipper is nine months and taking a bottle I have been trying to spend some much needed time with Monkey on his own. We have visited Paultons Park before when he was two and had a great time, so I was interested to see a couple of years on what he would think of it. Especially since they have added the Lost Kingdom.

The theme park opens at 10am, we arrived shortly after this and the large carpark was already starting to fill up. Thankfully they had some parking attendants on hand which made the process easy and stress free. A thought popped into my head as we walked towards the gate, a theme park at half term? What was I thinking? Visions of large queues and a grumpy Monkey suddenly appeared. But what we discovered in fact was the complete opposite.

Our first stop was the Loss Kingdom, since taking part in a dinosaur project at school Monkey is a little obsessed. It was great seeing his face light up as he saw all the animatronic dinosaurs. The detail is amazing. This area of the theme park houses the newest rides and their biggest rollercoaster yet we hardly had to queue for anything. Monkey wasn’t brave enough to try out the big rides straight away so we opted for the Jeep Safari courtesy of the Dinosaur Tour Co to warm up on. We got up very close to some of the dinosaurs and he kept asking questions about the story as we went round.

Our next stop was the Velociraptor. To set the scene once seated you go go backwards climbing 20 metres into the air. As we went up Monkeys little hand grabbed mine and he decided that perhaps he didn’t want to be a dinosaur for the day. Too late now I thought but then the giggles came as we plummeted back down along the track with speeds of up to 40mph. His favourite part was when it goes backwards. Needless to say that we went on it several times, not having to queue once.

The big ride of the area is the The Flight of the Pterosaur rollercoaster where you sit in bucket seats and are suspended underneath the track. Although Monkey was old enough and tall enough to have a go he decided it wasn’t for him. Although he loved watching it thunder overhead. One of the things which I love about Paultons Park is that it is really thought through. For families with a reasonably large age gap between little ones they have combined a number of rides and activities together so that there is something for everyone. So although there are two large rollercoasters there is also the Dino Chase which we must have gone on more than five times. A little rollercoaster perfect for younger visitors. There is also temple heights which is like a giant swing going up and down and round and round and Boulder Dash where you swirl around in a giant egg or boulder.

I also really like that they have embraced the theme park mentality and provided other interactions as well as the rides. So we got to meet a baby T-rex which was being taken for a walk by its keeper. Max the T-Rex who came round for a sniff at midday. Monkey wasn’t so sure and didn’t want to get up close and stroke him even though he was pretty friendly and well fed! And finally in the brand new play area you could hunt for dinosaur bones in the sandpit with one of the wardens.

We ended up spending all morning in the Lost Kingdom before venturing into Little Critters to try out the Cat-O-Pillar rollercoaster. Last time we visited Monkey was two and although tall enough to have a go got talked out of it by Nannie. This time there was no stopping him and again we went on it a couple of times. Even with Monkey’s preference for sitting at the front we hardly had to queue. I like the imaganitive creatures you can meet in this area along with all the bugs in the Beastie Burrow. We were both particularly taken with the chameleon who was having a red and green day!

Monkey was having so much fun I practically had to beg him to stop for lunch! After a quick meal of sandwiches, chips and nuggets we headed to the Wave Runner. This was Monkeys favourite ride of the day and involves going down a steep waterway in a dingy. There are some strategically placed bumps which means at points you leave the water all together. Thankfully you don’t get wet as it was getting cold by this time. We decided to use our last photo from the photo pass up on this ride so kept going on it until there was one Monkey liked.

Many of the Peppa Pig rides Monkey is now old enough to go on alone. As time was short he tried out Grandpa Pigs Boat Trip before we went on Daddy Pigs Car Ride and George’s Dinosaur Adventure. There are four other rides in Peppa Pig World which we didn’t get a change to try out on this visit. Plus they are building some new attractions which will open in 2018, just in time for Kipper to enjoy them!

Paultons Park represents great value for money as there really is so much to do. There is so much which we didn’t get to even though we stayed until 4.30pm! I can see why they have the option of a two day ticket. Some of the things we didn’t get round to trying out include:

• 4D cinema which is currently running a fifteen minute show throughout the day about two little turtles
  • Lost mine mini golf
  • Feeding the penguins, visit the giant tortises and see all the other birds they have in the park
  • Splashing around in the Water Kingdom
  • Riding round the park on the Rio Grande

Things we loved:

• That they have catered for all different age groups and thought about the park layout
  • There is so much more than the rides to keep little ones entertained
  • There are plenty of places to eat or picnic
  • The ID stickers with places to pop your mobile number
  • You can keep going back and have a different experience every time
  • £25 photo pass was good value for money rather than £9 each. You get four photos which you can have as a magnet, keyring or printed out plus the digital downloads. If you like to record memories like I do then its perfect for you. Plus if you don’t use them all on your first trip you can keep them for next time you visit.

Paultons Park really is the theme park that keeps giving we will definitely be back and I will no longer be put off by school holidays. The only difference is that we will probably buy a two day ticket to do the park justice.

Things you need to know:

• You can check the park opening days and times one their website via the interactive calendar.
  • Ticket prices – it is possible to purchase tickets online which gives you a saving compared with on the day prices. Under 1m are free. Over 1m prices are £27.25 if purchased online, £31.75 on the day. Further discounts are available for family tickets and if you buy two day tickets.
  • Address – Ower, Romsey SO51 6AL

We received free entry to Paultons Park in return for this review, all words and opinions are my own.

Linking to #TriedTested and #Countrykids

1. February 28, 2017 / 9:46 am

My nephew would love the lost kingdom part! This is somewhere on our wishlist for days out this year/ next!

2. February 28, 2017 / 11:32 am

Ah I haven’t heard of the Lost Kingdom – it sounds ace! We spent the whole day in Peppa Pig World when my girls were 3 and 4 months old (well the baby mostly slept) so I think you did a lot! We are planning to go back for a 2 day break there now that the little one is nearly 3 as it’s become a 3rd birthday tradition. There is so much to do, I know my girls will love this bit too as they love a dinosaur!
    #TriedTested

3. February 28, 2017 / 12:03 pm

What child wouldn’t enjoy a day here? It has a wonderful mix of things and definitely a full day out. I hate the big rides but my kids love them, thankfully I no longer need to go on with them! #TriedTested
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Scaling up with Jumbo 4 ConnectMy Profile

4. February 28, 2017 / 9:50 pm

We went to Paultons at the weekend as our season pass finishes soon and we wanted to use it up. Love the new Lost Kingdom area x #triedtested

5. March 1, 2017 / 6:12 am

Very brave going during half term!! Doesn’t look like it was too busy though. I’d love to take L but have been worried tat it would all be a bit too much for him, looks there is a good mix though. Some fab pics of you two on the rides!! #bloggerclubuk

6. March 1, 2017 / 7:27 am

Thanks for the review- we are hoping to get there this month so it’s great to hear such positive things #bloggersclubuk

7. March 1, 2017 / 7:36 am

Eeek braving the half term crowds! I love the pics – I can’t wait to take Josh to things like this xx #bloggerclubuk

8. March 1, 2017 / 8:15 am

That looks like so much fun. I’m so glad you’re going out just the two of you. I think we often take it for granted that the elder child accepts that you need to focus more on the baby. It’s so hard in the beginning.
    #bloggerclubuk

9. March 1, 2017 / 10:09 am

I remember visiting Paultons Park as a child and it was no where near as big as it is now. Looks like you had a fab time, the dinosaurs look brilliant. #BloggerClubUk

10. March 1, 2017 / 12:51 pm

We visited just before you but never got out of Peppa Pig World! I was really impressed at quite how much there was to do at Paultons as a whole – I’m definitely planning a return visit. I know my son would love the dinosaurs, but for the age he’s at now, PP World is amazing, and I love that he can go on all of the rides -and the best bit was that they really understand small children – none of this “they must sit on their own and not on laps” that you get so often at other theme parks. #BloggerClubUK

11. March 1, 2017 / 4:55 pm

This looks like a great place to visit. We’re in Canada so it’s a bit too far for us. We do have something similar very near our house. It’s called Wonderland. But I think Peachy is a bit too small for it. She’s not even walking by herself yet. When she’s bigger we’ll have to take her. #BloggerClubUK

12. March 1, 2017 / 5:03 pm

I’ve never heard of this park, but it sounds like a fab place for younger children. It looks like you and Monkey had a great time enjoying the rides!
    Debbie
    Random Musings recently posted…Blogger Club UK Linky #57My Profile

13. March 1, 2017 / 6:10 pm

This does look like a great place. I think Little Man would love it. One to add to the list I think. #BliggerClubUK
    Jaki recently posted…Remove Regrets From GrievingMy Profile

14. March 1, 2017 / 7:04 pm

Looks like you had a fantastic day out – I’ve heard that a two day visit is a good idea. Oh well, it’s an excuse for you to go back eh?
    Sally recently posted…Congo Rapids Crazy GolfMy Profile

15. March 1, 2017 / 10:41 pm

It’s looks like a great family day out. Little one is still only 14 months so probably will hold off going for a bit longer but I’m keeping a list of days out. This would be perfect too, as my husband loves dinosaurs!! And it’s close to where all the grandparents live! ???? #bloggerclubuk

16. March 1, 2017 / 11:13 pm

This looks fantastic! When my brother was younger he was obsessed with dinosaurs! He would have loved something like this! The photo pass is great value for money. The theme park near us charge much more #bloggerclubuk
    Becky recently posted…Guest Post – The Pregnancy Diaries week36My Profile

17. March 3, 2017 / 12:33 pm

It looks great, it’s not too far from us but I was waiting for the kids to be a bit older. Maybe this summer though looking at this. #BloggerClubUK

18. March 3, 2017 / 6:37 pm

this sounds like an amazing place to go! Monkey must have loved the one on one time also! do you think this place is suitable for a one year old? Ben loves Peppa pig and dinosaurs and would be a brilliant place to go in warmer weather! #BloggerclubUK

19. March 4, 2017 / 9:29 am

We were at Paultons and Peppa Pig world for the first time last week and really enjoyed it – so much for everyone to see. My youngest loved Peppa land and my eldest love the rollercoasters – great day out for all of us

Popping over from Country Kids

Laura x

20. March 4, 2017 / 9:35 am

We’ve only really explored Peppa pig world on our visit although we had a quick wander around the rest – the Lost Kingdom hadn’t quite opened when we were there. Now my daughter’s older, i wonder if she would go on the rides. Or stroke the baby TRex! #countrykids
    Cathy (Mummytravels) recently posted…How reading sparked my love of travelMy Profile

21. March 4, 2017 / 2:53 pm

We haven’t been for a couple of years – the dinosaur but looks good #countrykids

22. March 4, 2017 / 8:09 pm

We went the week before during our half term on a beautifully sunny day and it was quiet too. I’d thought the week you went would have been busier as it was half term there then. I didn’t dare suggest N go on the 2 big roller coasters or the dingy one. It hadn’t occurred to me that he’d be big enough or be ok on them, so we only did the 1 smaller rollercoaster which to him was still big. We didn’t do many of the extra things though either. I don’t think N has the staying power when it’s just the 2 of us for a whole day outing. #countrykids

23. March 5, 2017 / 2:46 pm

We have never been here but it looks so much fun. Mine are a bit too wussy when it comes to roller coasters and fairground rides, which is a shame. But I guess it saves us some money!! Nice to read about other people enjoying them 🙂
    #countrykids

24. March 7, 2017 / 1:32 pm

We’ve been to Paulton’s Park a few times – always on a Saturday in the middle of the summer holidays but even then the queues aren’t too bad (certainly nowhere near as bad as I would have expected). It’s a fabulous theme park and perfect for a family day out. There is so much for children of all ages to do. I found the photo pass to be good value for money too. So glad that you enjoyed your day out 🙂 #bloggerclubuk
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…The mummy I might have been: how did being a heart parent change me?My Profile

25. March 11, 2017 / 1:44 am

This park sounds really great! I’d love to take my daughter somewhere like this, now she’s just about to turn three I think there’s a lot she’d enjoy. Great review and I love the revolving photos! #BloggerClubUK
    Mummy and the Mexicans recently posted…Pancakes with a Mexican twistMy Profile