Making Elephant Lanterns for WWF Earth Hour

I would like to think that I am bringing my boys up in a manner which encourages them to care about the world around them. With this in mind, this year we will be taking part in Earth Hour. For those of you that have not heard of Earth Hour before if when millions of people around the world switch off their lights for one hour to show they care about our planet and demonstrate against climate change. Last year 178 countries took part.

Making Elephant Lanterns for WWF Earth Hour

This year marks the 10th anniversary of Earth Hour which takes place at 8.30pm on Saturday 25th March 2017, at this time iconic landmarks across the UK will be switching off their lights, from Big Ben and Buckingham Palace, to Brighton Pier and Edinburgh Castle.

Monkey and I have been preparing by making our own elephant lanterns out of old milk bottles, glue and tissue paper. This is a great fun activity for little ones to try and as you make them it gives you a chance to discuss why its so important we support WWF in this pledge.

Making Elephant Lanterns for WWF Earth Hour

To make your own you will need:

• Clean 2 pint milk bottle
  • Tissue paper of various colours
  • White glue and applicator
  • Cellotape
  • Pair of goggle eyes
  • LED candle

Step 1: Cut around the middle of the milk bottle at the base of the handle(where it meets the bottle). I then trimmed the handle a little so that the trunk was a couple of centimetres shorter.

Step 2: Cut two ear shapes from the rest of the bottle and secure these with cellotape on either side of the bottle.

Step 3: This is the fun bit – cover the bottle with glue and multi coloured tissue paper. Monkey decided that it reminded him of Elmer. I think it took us about 20 minutes to do this bit.

Step 4: Once the tissue paper was dry we added the eyes

The only thing which is left to do is to add the LED candle underneath when it gets dark. It took us around 30 minutes to make one of these from start to finish. I think it turned out really well and Monkey had a great time doing it.
Making Elephant Lanterns for WWF Earth Hour

If you would like to get involved in Earth Hour you can find this tutorial and all about how to make your Earth Hour matter on the Earth Hour Website. They also have an ideas pack which you can download that includes some ideas on how to protect the planet as well as some suggestions on how you could spend that hour:

• Reading by torchlight under the duvet
  • Sponsored silence
  • Night-time wildlife walk
  • Have a picnic under the stars
  • Toast marshmallows on the fire pit
  • Host a star gazing party

We will be turning our lights out on the 25th March at 8.30pm will you? If you decide to take part make sure you sign up at Earth Hour Website

This is a collaborative post

1. March 8, 2017 / 11:15 am

The lantern is fab, looks really good. I’m guessing using the torch on my mobile phone for the hour would be classed as cheating lol?
    Debbie
    Random Musings recently posted…Blogger Club UK Linky #58My Profile

2. March 8, 2017 / 11:17 am

This is such a lovely thing to do – especially to make our children aware of what is going on in the world! I hope to do the same when my little one is a bit older. #BloggerClubUK

3. March 8, 2017 / 12:47 pm

This looks like great fun, I love getting the kids involved in crafts! #BloggerClubUK
    The Tale of Mummyhood recently posted…JudgementMy Profile

4. March 8, 2017 / 1:12 pm

I love these! I’m going to make them just for myself I think! Entirely aware I’m missing the larger point but I’m getting a bit carried away thinking of the cuteness #bloggerclubuk
    Briony recently posted…Feeling Calm #53My Profile

5. March 8, 2017 / 1:45 pm

Ooh these are cute. The WWF centre is in Woking which is quite near us but I havent been yet #bloggerclubuk

6. March 8, 2017 / 2:13 pm

What a great idea! My boys would love to make these 🙂 #bloggerclubuk

7. March 8, 2017 / 5:46 pm

What a cute project! My kiddos would love it!
    #bloggerclubuk
    Barrie Bismark recently posted…The MomtrumMy Profile

8. March 8, 2017 / 9:23 pm

I feel the same about the environment and I am already dropping things into conversations with my nearly three year old. I am so proud of how he always puts things in recycling / bin and comments on things like litter in the street! #BloggerClubUK

9. March 9, 2017 / 4:26 am

This is so creative! And it repurposes something that would otherwise be thrown in the garbage. Great idea. #BloggerClubUK

10. March 9, 2017 / 8:55 am

Oh this is fantastic – it caught my eye as my daughter is a huge elephant fan, it was her first cuddly toy and she seems to be drawn to all things Elmer too! I’ll definitely give this a go, would be a lovely thing to do together. Thanks for hosting #bloggerclubuk xx
    Bridie By The Sea recently posted…My Job Has Flex…But It’s Not WorkingMy Profile

11. March 10, 2017 / 12:20 am

Who would have thought a plastic bottle would turn into a very cute elephant head! Thanks for sharing something that’s clever and enjoyable for kids as well.

12. March 11, 2017 / 4:35 pm

This looks great and not too tricky like many crafty things so I think my 6 year old as well as his older sisters would like to do it. And you don’t need ridiculously hard to find materials for it – amazingly I have all those things in my house already. #bloggerclubuk
    Susie / S.H.I.T. recently posted…International Women’s Day – My Female Friendships RockMy Profile

13. March 11, 2017 / 8:09 pm

Brilliant and really cute too, I hadn’t heard of the event so it was good to hear a bit more about it and find out what is going on in the world. Thanks

Mainy x

#bloggerclubuk
    mainy recently posted…The #RockingMotherhood TagMy Profile

14. March 13, 2017 / 11:33 am

these look brilliant! I need to try this out with the boys they would love this! x #BLOGGERCLUBUK

15. March 17, 2017 / 12:33 pm

Oh I love the idea of an led candle inside the elephant! My kids made similar elephants in school, they are super cute & love to keep in the window. I’m going to see about getting some led candles for them! x
    Becky, Cuddle Fairy recently posted…Blogger Club UK 59My Profile