DIY Space Helmet

DIY Space Helmet: I am sure that World Book Day was created just to make life difficult for parents, or at least even if that was not the intention it has definitely morphed into that. Monkey had chosen a book by Amazing Pages which we had previously reviewed and we had a space suit so I thought bingo, nothing more to do. Wrong. A letter from the school specifically asked for a home made element which would be judged. Oh no. I had to up my game and since Monkey has previously requested a Space Helmet that looked like the one in the book I decided that would be the home made element. Yet I can not take all the credit for this Hubby also helped to bring this into existence.

DIY Space Helmet

If you would like to make something similar then you will need:

• Large Ballon
  • Small Mixing Bowl
  • Water and plaster bandages
  • White, Red and Black Paint
  • Craft Knife
  • Door stop
  • Back and Red Sharpies
  • Draft Excluder (yes a bit odd)
  • Silicone Glue
  • Black Card
  • Double sided tape
  • Pencil

DIY Space Helmet

Step One: Blow up the ballon and place it in the small mixing bowl with the largest part accessible. You will need to make sure that the ballon is bigger than the child’s head. I purposefully chose a ballon which was quote round in shape rather than oval too. Cut the plaster bandages into various lengths and start to put these onto the ballon. The bandages will have little holes in them where there is no plaster, so you will need to use a little finger to rub the plaster over these. Repeat. We covered two thirds of the ballon in two layers over two nights. It was easier to let them dry in between as it meant it was not too soggy and easier to see where you had already placed the bandages as they go a darker colour when dry.

Step Two: Pop the ballon! Hubby then used the craft knife to level off base of the helmet and cut out a window where the visor would be.

Step Three: The draft excluder we chose had a sticky side which meant it was easy to cut to size and then attach it round the bottom of the helmet and around the visor area.

DIY Space Helmet

Step Four: Using a good quality acrylic paint cover the helmet in white. As are were copying the helmet from the book Amazing Pages I also painted on black and red stripes.

Step Five: Once dry I used a red sharpie to colour in the draft excluder around the the front of the helmet.

Step Six: For the antenna on top of the helmet I used the red sharpie to colour in the tip of the door stop and then a blank sharpie for the rest of this. Silicone glue worked well to attach it onto the helmet in the middle.

Step Seven: Create two side pieces by drawing round a small bowl onto black card. Select a slightly bigger place and draw round this again. Cut the larger of the two circles out and then snip down to the second circle and fold these tabs over. Fix double sided tape to the cardboard tabs and push these gently against the helmet.

DIY Space Helmet

Step Eight: We discovered that the helmet was a little big for Monkey so to make it more suitable we folded up some tissue paper to make a little  pad and used this in the top. If you have any old fabric or wadding you may want to add this to. The best thing about doing it this way is that you can adjust the size of the pillow to make sure it fits perfectly.

DIY Space Helmet

So there we are, something that looks pretty complicated is actually very straightforward to make. Saying that next year I am not sure if the make an homemade element that is quite so time consuming! What did you children dress up as this year? Did you make any home made costumes?

DIY Space Helmet

1. March 29, 2017 / 6:40 am

Oh you are good! I am hopeless with crafting etc but this looks amazing xx #bloggerclubuk

2. March 29, 2017 / 6:40 am

Fantastic tutorial! My kids will LOVE this, thank you!

3. March 29, 2017 / 9:03 am

This is such an awesome craft thing to do. You’ve made it look easy and the instructions are really easy to follow. i know exactly where to come in the future if BattleKid comes to me and tells me he wants a pace helmet! It looks really professional too, you’ve done an amazing job! #bloggerclubuk

4. March 29, 2017 / 9:38 am

Wow this is so clever! I don’t have a creative bone in my body so the poor kids never get to do crafty things 🙁 #bloggerclubuk

5. March 29, 2017 / 12:26 pm

Oh my word now that is an impressive effort!! Our theme was Dr Seuss and my two went as Thing1 and Thing 2 which was pretty easy – t-shirts, blue hair and of course a red/blue tutu for Madam 🙂 (I did make the tutu though!)
    Mess and Merlot recently posted…COUCH TO 5K – WHAT IT’S REALLY LIKEMy Profile

6. March 29, 2017 / 6:44 pm

That is literally the coolest hing I’ve ever seen! I love it, and you’re right it totally do-able! #bloggerclubuk
    Aleena Brown recently posted…The PND CurseMy Profile

7. March 29, 2017 / 7:32 pm

You guys did an amazing job! I’m not familiar with this World Book Day, though…probably because my daughter isn’t in school yet. Anyway, my favorite part is the use of the door stop as an antenna! That is such a creative idea 😀 #bloggerclubuk
    Paula from Her Life Is Love recently posted…I Googled Second Infertility and It Scared MeMy Profile

8. March 29, 2017 / 10:27 pm

Wow that looks amazing!! Such a good idea and I’m sure there’s endless fun to be had playing with it afterwards. My kids would love this. #bloggerclubuk

9. March 30, 2017 / 9:17 am

Wow! Well done you! That is awesome. You’re definitely a crafty mommy.
    #bloggerclubuk

10. March 31, 2017 / 11:35 am

This is brilliant! World Book Day sounds more and more time consuming! Whatever happened to the days when the homework was for the kids rather than the parents lol
    Thanks for linking up to #BloggerClubUK 🙂
    Debbie
    Random Musings recently posted…#Giveaway – Win a £50 Amazon VoucherMy Profile

11. April 3, 2017 / 11:12 am

Your talent never ceases to amaze me! I have never made anything this complex in my life. What a good idea to use a draft excluder around the helmet opening! Monkey is one lucky boy to have such a fab costume made for him with love. #BloggerClubUK x
    Becky, Cuddle Fairy recently posted…Make a Cinema at Home – a fun activity on a rainy dayMy Profile