Sight Seeing in London DuckTours

London Duck Tours: When I returned to work from maternity leave I made a pact that we would try and go away overnight at the end of each month, so far we have visited Cambridge, Warwick and London. While in London we were fortunate enough to be invited on a Duck Tour.

For those of you who are unaware I am not talking about spotting small feathered birds on and around the Thames, although our journey does include the Thames. Instead I am talking about taking a trip around London in a amphibious vehicle. Of course annoyingly Monkey spotted it straight away and kept telling us that it went in the water. How he had figured that out I have no idea. We had almost convinced him that it couldn’t when the tour guide let the cat out of the bag. But nothing prepared me for the squeal of delight when we actually hit the water.

We met our tour guide and our bright yellow bus, boat, duck called Miranda just behind the London eye. Its hard to miss them since there was a line of big yellow vehicles and two rather vibrant and friendly gentlemen with yellow shirts. Buggy are not allowed on the duck but we left ours at the check in desk and that was just fine. Also worth noting best to have a comfort break before boarding as there are not toilets at check in. They board you in check in order so its worth getting there a little early if you want the pick of the seats. On the website it does mention that its not recommended for really young children, but we had no issues with Kipper. In fact there were a number of toddlers on our trip out. Each duck with have a maximum of thirty people. While we were waiting for Miranda I noticed that a hen do had arranged a private hire, which seemed like a great idea

The staff are very friendly and extremely helpful, aiding where needed at boarding, as there are some quite big steps for little ones. Our tour guide for the day was Luke, the humour was very clever and entertaining not only the kids but parents alike with a few. The tour we went on was the Classic City Tour and lasted for 75 minutes or so. Monkey was enthralled the whole way through and loved waving at the tourists as we passed each monument. It made me realise how little we know about London. Considering I work in the capital we hardly ever have a day trip out. Thats something I intend on changing in the coming months. So watch this space I am on a mission to find the most unusual sights.

Not surprisingly the best bit was going into the river. You get plenty of warning as it is a little bumpy but nothing significant. The water comes up to a couple of inches below the windows so you a quite low down which gives you a great perspective. I have never been so close to Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. I was a little worried that it maybe a bit rough (especially as Hubby tends to get sea sick) but Miranda coped very well with being in the water and it was very smooth even when we had to cross another boats wake. The duck has no windows as such, although there are clear plastic curtains which can be rolled down. So I would suggest trying to do it when the weather is good. Otherwise it I would expect it could get quite nippy on the river.

Monkey just thought the whole thing was truly amazing. As for Kipper well he slept so that goes to show you how smooth the journey was. If you are looking for something fun to do this Easter break then I would highly recommend looking at Duck Tours they even have a Pirate Treasure Hunt version running over the holidays.

Things you need to know:

• There is no food or drink allowed on the duck
  • There is no option to get off, once you are on you are on.
  • Opening Times: tours depart at 10am most days, school holidays and weekend 9.45am. The last tour is at dusk and depends on the time of the year. More information can be found on their website.
  • Prices: Adults £27, children 1-17 £19. Family tickets are available at £79. There is a £3 booking charge for tickets booked online or over the phone.
  • Address: Belvedere Road, Waterloo, London, SE1 8XU

Without doubt this is the most entertaining city tour I have ever been on, its personable and funny. The kids didn’t get bored and the splash down into the Thames was great fun. I can’t wait for our next visit.

This is a collaborative post, we were given Duck Tour tickers for the purpose of this honest review,  as ever all words and opinions are my own.

Linking up to #CountryKids

1. April 15, 2017 / 12:33 pm

I’ve done a couple of duck tours but never in London – despite living there! It is on our list to do this year, as I think my daughter is old enough now (about Monkey’s age) to really appreciate it, although I’m hoping for a bit of sunshine as well to really enjoy it. #countrykids

2. April 15, 2017 / 3:24 pm

I really fancy doing this next time we go to London, the kids weren’t keen last time and we just ended up in the park but I think this looks fun. The whole idea of going from land to water and back out again really appeals to me and what better way to take in all the key London sites with out too much queuing in traffic. Perfect for Country Bumpkins like us! I will be showing this post to my kids to try and persuade them for out next visit.

Thank you for sharing with me on #Country Kids

3. April 16, 2017 / 8:23 am

OH wow, I spotted the Duck Tours a few days ago and I told hubby I wanted to do it this summer. Looking at your need to know section, I think my kids may be too young to enjoy it fully. Your post was quite helpful. I just may do it with a mate :0) I enjoying seeing London from different views.

Stopping by from #COuntrykids.
    MsXpat recently posted…A Day Out at Jurassic KingdomMy Profile

4. April 17, 2017 / 7:56 pm

Fab photos. My children have seen these when we’ve been in London and have asked to go on but I’m claustrophobic and they don’t appeal to me!

#countrykids
    Heidi recently posted…Monkeying Around at Banham ZooMy Profile

5. April 17, 2017 / 9:48 pm

The duck tour looks so exciting! What a great way to see all of the sights. Good to know it’s a smooth ride, too, as I tend to get seasick pretty easily!
    Jules Pondering Parenthood recently posted…Living Arrows 16/52My Profile

6. April 18, 2017 / 7:25 pm

I have done a duck tour in Boston which I loved! It’s great to see a city from another perspective. I never knew that London did duck tours. Next time we are over I will be having a look as it looks and sounds like a brilliant tour.
    Emma recently posted…Introducing Be Better Fitness TrainingMy Profile

7. April 18, 2017 / 9:41 pm

I only recently learned about the duck tour – it looks such fun!! We go to london quite a lot to visit family -we really need to do this! thanks for sharing #countrykids

8. April 19, 2017 / 12:37 pm

I did a Duck Tour when I first moved to London and it was such a brilliant way of seeing the city from a different perspective. We’ve not tried it with the girls but I think we’ll have to give it a go soon as I think they’d love it. So glad that Monkey enjoyed it so much and that it was smooth enough not to disturb a sleeping Kipper too 🙂 #countrykids
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…#withkindnessandlove 14 – stories of kindness and sharing some blog loveMy Profile

9. April 19, 2017 / 2:05 pm

I have always wanted to do a Duck Tour somewhere. I hadn’t realised the price though and it is really quite on the expensive side. It does look a lot of fun though! Maybe one for when Piglet is older though as getting him to sit still anywhere without snacks is near impossible at the moment
    OddHogg recently posted…Putting On The PressureMy Profile

10. April 19, 2017 / 10:43 pm

This looks like so much fun! I used to work just down the road from there pre-kids and have often seen the boats but haven’t been on one myself – yet!
    #CountryKids
    Sian – The Mama Story recently posted…Sisters, April 2017My Profile

11. April 20, 2017 / 7:02 am

Now that is a different way to see London. So much fun too. There is always something else to learn about a place, even if you feel you know it well. Bet you felt like you had plenty of fresh air by the end. #CounryKids

12. April 21, 2017 / 12:52 am

You know, I used to work in a building on Vauxhall Bridge where the Duck Tours would enter the water, and yet I’ve never been on one of the tours! They look like so much fun and I really didn’t know they covered so much of London & travelled so far.
    It does seem a little expensive but because it’s so unusual going from land to sea I can see why!
    Popping across from #Countrykids – sorry for the late commenting, we were away

13. April 21, 2017 / 8:31 am

This sounds like the best way to see London! They used to have a duck tour bus in Liverpool and my girls always wanted to go on it as did I.