Make Your Own First Birthday Chalkboard Poster

If you are regular readers of Mudpie Fridays then you know that my youngest has just turned one over the weekend. Birthdays a pretty big deal here and you don’t get much more important than the first one. One of the things which I wanted to do for Kipper was to make a chalkboard poster as I had made one for Monkey. It was lovely looking back over his last week and reading it to him. He was surprisingly interested in its contents and the comparison with Kipper, always the competitive one!

First Birthday Chalkboard Poster

So incase you want to make one yourself I thought I would share how I did it, as its actually really easy once you have worked out what you want to include! You will need:

• Rubber and pencil
  • Piece of A2 black card (the thicker the better)
  • Chalk pens

Before you start you will need choose your colours, I wanted to keep it simple so only used four main colours. You will also need to give some consideration to the type face you use for the rest of the poster. I found the pens I used had quite thick nibs which limited a little what I could do.

I started with writing his name at the top with a ribbon under neath, this is probably the hardest part. With the chalk pens I was able to rub out the pencil underneath without affecting the writing.

Once you have the name at the top the next step is to divide the rest of the page into sections. The sections I used are:

• The date he turns one
  • Things he loves
  • His favourite foods
  • Something he loves to do
  • An update on movement – i.e. crawling, walking
  • His first word and other words he can say
  • His favourite toys
  • How many teeth
  • Weight and Height
  • Lullaby words

This makes it easy to just fill in all the detail. I altered pen colours between items and tried to add a little bit of interest by including graphics where appropriate such as splashes. I think this took me around four hours to do and saved a lot of money when you consider how much they cost on Etsy. It got some lovely comments at the party and many people thought it was printed.

What little details do you add to your child’s parties?

1. May 10, 2017 / 6:44 am

I love this idea and feel a bit sad I didn’t do one for Josh’s first birthday! xx #bloggerclubuk

2. May 10, 2017 / 8:33 am

This is really lovely – although my writing is definitely not as neat as yours, I think mine would just look like a random brain dump!! Such a lovely idea to do something personal like this at a first birthday. #bloggerclubuk
    Kate recently posted…Colour-in recipe cardsMy Profile

3. Helen
    May 10, 2017 / 10:07 am

I really like this idea – I have a couple of friends with little ones coming up to 1st & 2nd birthdays and I think they’ll love this

4. May 10, 2017 / 11:53 am

This is absolutely lovely! what a cute idea, and I especially love the little Willy Wonka quote in the corner! x #bloggerclubuk
    claire recently posted…Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Beef RecipeMy Profile

5. May 10, 2017 / 12:56 pm

I love this, how creative! My handwriting is shocking, but this could be something I rope Hubs into helping with when our turn comes!
    Thanks for hosting #BloggerClubUK
    Sadie recently posted…my birth plans [ part 1 ] – home birthMy Profile

6. May 10, 2017 / 2:00 pm

Love these- wish I would have invested in one for the girls.

#bloggerclubuk

7. May 10, 2017 / 3:58 pm

Oh it’s just gorgeous! May do one for my daughter’s 18th which is coming up! Love! #BloggerClubUK

8. May 10, 2017 / 5:19 pm

I love this, could be one for my Trash 2 Treasure too? A great way to remember all you need for a birthday in a special way. Harry shares his birthday with my eldest Alistair who turned 19 on 6th May! #BloggerclubUK
    Fiona Cambouropoulos recently posted…Win a Pop N Jump from Summer Infant UKMy Profile

9. May 10, 2017 / 5:44 pm

This is so creative and a lovely keepsake! #BloggerclubUK

10. May 10, 2017 / 8:22 pm

That looks amazing Clare! What a clever idea. Chalk pens are so much fun aren’t they. LOVE it, and thinking these could also be really fab custom milestone cards too. #BloggerClubUK
    Annette, 3 Little Buttons recently posted…Help! I can’t make mum friendsMy Profile

11. May 11, 2017 / 6:31 am

I’ve never seen anything like this before. It’s lovely – such a nice idea and something to keep forever. It looks gorgeous.

12. May 11, 2017 / 11:42 am

I’ve seen a few of these recently for babies turning one. I think its a great idea- nice to have list with some inspiration too! great post! #bloggerclubuk

13. May 11, 2017 / 4:10 pm

Such a lovely idea – you are so wonderfully creative. I love it! #bloggerclubuk

14. May 11, 2017 / 7:46 pm

Really love this idea- my youngest just turned 1 in March but i didn’t have any time to do this. #bloggerclubuk

15. May 12, 2017 / 4:24 am

This is great and would be a lovely homeschool activity to do as a present ( is get my daughter to do the writing though !) thanks for the linky x
    #BloggerClubUK

16. May 12, 2017 / 7:47 pm

Oh my god you are soo together, I’d love to be arty like that. Great idea

#BloggerClubUK

17. May 12, 2017 / 11:07 pm

Beautiful! I love this!
    We had something similar for our wedding.
    #BloggerClubUK

18. May 16, 2017 / 9:00 pm

What a great idea and it looks fantastic! I wish I’d thought of doing this for my daughter’s birthdays.#BloggerClubUK