Childhood Memories of Summer

Last weekend we took a short break in Devon to Dawlish Warren. It really brought back some childhood memories of what Summer use to be like for my brother and I as children. They were really brilliant Summers, staying in a caravan and playing at the beach, I still remember the long walk back to the caravan site now! All the things we use to get up to we managed to squeeze into this weekend too including staying in a caravan… well sort of.

As soon we drove under the  bridge below I was struck with memories..

Dawlish Warren

Wanting to give Monkey the same happy Summers that I experienced as a child we got right to it..

1. Building Sand Castles

They have the same little paper flags that we had probably the best part of 25 years ago! I was shocked. Of course we had to build a sandcastle for each flag… Monkey had a new bucket in the shape of a castle in blue of course.  Daddy brought the biggest spade which he could find

photo copy 3

2. Hunting for Crabs

Dawlish Warren beach is a long stretch of reddy coloured sand – its funny as a child I remember it being a lot whiter. The tide goes out quickly and leaves unexpected hermit crabs scurrying around. Its the first time Monkey has really been old enough to appreciate it. On the second day when the weather was a lot nicer we managed to catch some other crabs in little pools with a net. They were a lot bigger. Monkey was very proud of his catch albeit a little scared.

Dawlish Warren

3. Windmills

In every shape and size, we use to use them to decorate our sand sculptures and castles. I forgot how windy the beach was, I think we ended up with wind burn on the last day. However ideal for windmills. We didn’t get one of those rainbow coloured wind breaks although I still remember my dad knocking it in with a trainer. Families seem to have progressed to mallets now..

Dawlish Warren

4. Treasure Hunting

At the waters edge looking for stones (he’s obsessed) and shells and lots of other pieces of treasure as Monkey calls it… we did manage to find this large green rock which looks a bit like marble, and some of the biggest shells. I also found sea glass, as a child I use to collect pieces of it every time I went to the beach in blues and greens I use to think it was mermaid jewellery, bless.

Dawlish Warren   IMG_9599

5. Digging a really big hole

What is it with kids and digging holes on the beach? We use to try and bury my dad and try to dig to the authorised of the world. We taught Monkey to fill back in his holes since the tide comes so far in, just to avoid any mishaps!

IMG_9585

6. Have a Picnic

Despite the fact that sand gets everywhere food always seems to taste better outdoors, we always use to take a picnic to the beach when we were kids. Sand didn’t seem to bother Monkey one bit, every time we wiped his hands down they were covered again within seconds as were his sandwiches!

Dawlish warren

7. Ice Cream

No trip to the beach is complete without an ice-cream and the local shop served Devon’s finest. In the background of this photo there was some fairground rides much to Monkey’s upset he was too short for all of them! He really wanted to go on the slides with Daddy but alas they wouldn’t let two people on a mat. That was always part of the fund the helter skelter with dad! Its health and safety gone mad.

photo copy 2

8. Washed up Sea Animals

The second day we were there, there were loads of jelly fished washed up on the beach. They were quite big and Monkey was really quite scared of them. We use to hunt for starfish and cuttlefish…

IMG_9561

9. British Weather

This was the first day of our break – wellies on the beach, thats British Summertime for you. Didn’t stop Monkey enjoying himself though…

I hope Monkey will remember this Summer and are little trip to Dawlish as much as I fondly remember mine.

IMG_9458

Mudpie xx

1. Angela Milnes
    June 16, 2015 / 8:50 pm

it looks like you had a really good time! I have many of these memories too! I feel a little sad that my daughter has missed out on these over the last two years but once I get well..we will do things again!

Angela xx

Angela recently posted “An Interview with two 7 year olds” http://wp.me/p5XRN6-1Hw

2. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    June 16, 2015 / 10:34 pm

What fantastic summer memories you have!! Monkey is dead right – pop on the wellies and have a great time!! x

3. Kate
    June 17, 2015 / 6:01 am

Looks great, thanks for sharing! We went there this year too, walking under that bridge was a bit scary when there was a train going over lol.

• June 17, 2015 / 7:52 pm

Funny how certain things stick in your mind as a kid! Glad there was no train when we went 🙂 x

4. June 17, 2015 / 10:26 am

Such a lovely holiday!!
    As a kid I used to love making holes and castles by the beach hahaha maybe that’s something every kid likes 😀

Thank you so much for linking up with #MondayEscapes

• June 17, 2015 / 10:49 pm

We use to pretend to dig to the other side of the world! Thanks for hosting 🙂

• June 19, 2015 / 9:53 am

hahahaha me too!!! I would always say that at the end of the hole I would arrive in China hahaha 😀

5. entertainingelliot
    June 17, 2015 / 1:02 pm

Sounds like you had a fab time! We always used to go on holidays down to South Wales when I was a child and we had the best time. It might not have been as far flung as some other kids in my class but we always had an amazing holiday with amazing memories and I want my son to have the same kind of memories as he grows up! #twinklytuesday

• June 17, 2015 / 10:54 pm

Agreed it’s so much more about family time than it is 5 star luxury! I was born in South Wales great place and great beaches x

6. June 18, 2015 / 8:20 am

Oh, digging hole and crabs. Treasure hunting. Ah, the summer of the past. I’m getting nostalgic.

7. samselim
    June 18, 2015 / 10:21 pm

wellies in summer on the beach, that’s definitely England beach holiday! Our kids love all these activities too, I guess most kids do 🙂 We spent few summers along the Yorkshire coast when we lived in Sheffield, have some great family memories during our trips here.

• June 21, 2015 / 9:49 pm

That sounds great – thanks for stopping by 🙂

8. June 19, 2015 / 10:17 am

Ahh, it looks like you had an awesome time and so much fun playing at the beach. Thanks so much for linking up to #Imaginationmatters. I can’t wait to see if you’ve got something for “circus” week next week!

9. Emma @ P is for Preschooler
    June 21, 2015 / 9:08 pm

Sounds like some great memories! Digging a really big hole is always a favorite! #Summerfamilyfun

10. June 22, 2015 / 9:09 am

Aww these are such lovely memories that we all have as grown ups. We are just starting to create these new memories for Zach too – we’ve been to the seaside in France with a bucket and spade and he made his first sandcastle! Thanks for sharing and thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

• June 22, 2015 / 7:35 pm

Ahhhh lovely first sand castle 🙂 what a great memory xx

11. July 25, 2015 / 7:48 am

What lovely memories to create. We always visited Sidmouth in Devon as a child and would love to take mine back there too #CountryKids

12. Coombe Mill
    July 25, 2015 / 10:21 am

It’s great that you’ve tried to show Monkey some of the fun you used to have on holidays when you were his age. I’m sure he’ll remember as he gets older the fun he had on the beach. He looks like he’s really enjoying his ice cream on the seaside, nothing beats an ice cream to finish your day by the shore. Thanks for linking up with me on Country Kids.

13. July 25, 2015 / 6:35 pm

Aww that looks like an amazing holiday! Love the jelly fish too. How come no jelly fish is being washed out here?

Lovely post and lovelier cuz this trip reminds you of the one that you had as a kid =)

#countrykids

• July 26, 2015 / 8:40 am

I’ve never seen it before – not sure if it’s a time of a year thing or something – will have to do some research… Think if Monkey had been older he probably would have loved it but he was a little scared of them! Bless. Thank you for stopping by x

14. August 19, 2015 / 6:37 am

We LOVE Dawlish! Had a few lovely beach days there with the girsl! I love your jelly fish picture. #whatevertheweather

• August 19, 2015 / 6:16 pm

They were a bit alien looking Monkey wasn’t keen at all – hoping to go back again next year 🙂 thanks for stopping by x

15. Jenny
    August 19, 2015 / 7:03 am

I’ve heard of Dawlish, but don’t think I’ve ever been. It looks great though, just like the ba easier towns I used to visit as a child. I loooove that you can still get the little flags and windmills, they are definitely very cool!
    Lovely that you can take monkey to the same place you visited as a child and he can love it just as much as you do. Looks like you found lots of fun, it’s been ages since we’ve found a jellyfish, need to get back to the beach before the summer is over!
    Thanks for linking up to #Whatevertheweather 🙂 x

• August 19, 2015 / 6:18 pm

Would recommend we stayed in a caravan/lodge and got a really good deal so worth shopping around if you decide to visit! Hope you make it to the beach in time – it’s a bit like Summers already over here! lol Thank you for hosting x

16. aislingozdemir
    August 19, 2015 / 10:39 am

That has brought back some memories although I’d never heard of paper flags, the boys would love that! #whatevertheweather

• August 19, 2015 / 6:21 pm

I remembering getting quite territorial about our flags when I was younger lol! Even now I wanted to bring them home!! 🙂 thank you for stopping by x

17. Scatty Mum
    August 21, 2015 / 5:39 pm

Sounds and looks perfect. My boys love all the activities you mention and definitely #whatevertheweather 😀

18. August 21, 2015 / 7:21 pm

Dawlish looks amazing! We’ve never heard of it! But after reading this and seeing your photos we want to check it out. Love the cute sand castles! We visited the beach too this week but it was a bit busier!! #whatevertheweather xx

• August 22, 2015 / 7:51 am

Yes definitely worth a visit 🙂 we stayed for a couple of nights in a caravan park and it was quite reasonable Cxx

19. chloelifeunexpected
    August 22, 2015 / 7:24 pm

Oh how beautiful that you’re taking Monkey to holiday where you made so many memories. It’s so lovely seeing another generation play where you once did isn’t it. Haha my dad used to use a trainer for our windbreak too! 😀 That’s brought back memories. Gosh this beach puts my local one to shame. All we have is sand and sea. It’s so cool that you have crabs and jellyfish and such pretty shells (we have a few stones but no shells which is a bit odd for a beach) Evie is obsessed with finding stones too and digging pits! It is funny that that’s what they’re drawn too isn’t it. I’m glad you had such a great holiday. Thank you so much for linking to #whatevertheweather x

• August 27, 2015 / 10:38 am

Ah that’s a shame there are no shells but I would love to live near your beach it’s beautiful 🙂 xx

20. muminthecotswolds
    August 26, 2015 / 8:33 am

We took our kidiwinks to Devon this year to do exactly the same, we stayed on the campsite that I used to holiday on with my family as a kid it was so great to as you say let the kids experience memories we used to as a child. Simple yet amazingly fun activities, that even use adults enjoy still. Oh and I remember collecting sea glass as a child, oh the memories you bring back with this lovely post. Glad to see you had such a great time!! x

• September 14, 2015 / 4:06 pm

Aw thank you and for stopping by, managed to pick up some fragments of sea glass again the other day … Think I am going to start a little collection! Easier to transport than stones or more likely rocks… monkey always wants to take home the biggest one he can find! 🙂