Painting with Bubbles

As part of our letter B activities I have been focusing on bubbles. I will hopefully be writing up the full post shortly but in the meantime I wanted to share something that we have had imense fun with!

Give Monkey a straw and he will want to blow bubbles, normally not very helpfully all over the kitchen table or in a restaurant. So I thought this activity would really resonate with him and it did. Firstly don’t do this with food colouring it doesn’t work! For some reason I thought it would be a better option than paint (due to potential swallowing issues) but it didn’t colour the bubbles enough to make any sort of pattern.

On that note if you do try it make sure you stress they don’t want to suck, otherwise they will end up with a mouth full of paint and washing up liquid! Monkey has just turned three I’m not sure I would try this with a younger child for that reason.

Painting with bubblesYou will need

• Containers – we used pudding bowls but paper cups or margarine tubs would do ideally something teasonay shallow
  • Premixed paint
  • Straws
  • Water
  • Washing up liquid – or similar
  • Paper or card

All you need to do is mix the paint, water and washing up liquid together in your container. If the bubbles are not the same colour as the paint then chances are you will need to add a bit more paint to the mixture. Try and keep it reasonably diluted though otherwise it’s difficult to blow bubbles. Likewise if bubbles are not forth coming add some more washing up liquid.

Step twoย place a straw in each colour and blow bubbles. We had a race on who could grow the highest bubble tower.

Painting with Bubbles

Next place the paper over the top of the bubbles.

Painting with Bubbles

Don’t worry if the bubbles come away with the paper as they will dry in a lovely bubbly pattern.

Bubble Painting

Here’s our finished picture:

Finished Bubble Painting

They would be great to turn into butterflies, or use as wrapping paper or book covers. My favourite part is that it takes less than 5 minutes to set up and clear away (almost depends how covered the table, floor and child get!) so it’s an ideal after nursery or work activity.

If you have any other quick and simple painting ideas I would love to hear them.

Mudpie xx

Domestic Momster

1. chloelifeunexpected
    July 9, 2015 / 10:01 am

Oh I love this! I love bubbles and I love messy play. I wish Evie was at an age where she wouldn’t drink the bubbles so I could do this haha x

• July 10, 2015 / 5:44 am

๐Ÿ˜€ I was watching like a hawk incase he got confused and ended up doing just that!! Xx

2. July 10, 2015 / 10:15 am

What a great idea! Love the finished bubble picture! x #momsterslink

3. July 10, 2015 / 2:05 pm

I love bubble painting I remember doing it as a child. I did once suck and even now I can remember the weird slightly chalky taste of the paint. I lived to tell the tale though and it didn’t put me off! Have you considered putting it in a nice frame – cool artwork for your child’s room ๐Ÿ™‚ #momsterslink
    Debbie

• July 11, 2015 / 9:00 am

That’s a brilliant idea – thank you ๐Ÿ˜€ xx

4. simplelifemummy
    July 10, 2015 / 2:34 pm

This looks like great fun! My little will love it, will give it a try this weekend. xx #momsterlslink

• July 11, 2015 / 7:27 pm

I hope you have fun with it to – have a great weekend thanks for stopping by Cx

5. July 10, 2015 / 8:33 pm

This looks great. My boys love all forms of paint. My husband has to vacate the house but I really don’t mind the mess. Great post #momsterlink

• July 11, 2015 / 7:27 pm

Must be a man thing … My hubby is the same! Cx

6. July 10, 2015 / 9:00 pm

Love this idea and the finished picture turned out beautiful! Your little one looks like he thoroughly enjoys the process ๐Ÿ™‚ thank for sharing with me at #momsterslink.

7. July 11, 2015 / 7:03 am

I love all these types of simple crafts. I’ve not done this for years #monsterslink

8. A Moment with Franca
    July 14, 2015 / 12:42 pm

This looks like so much fun. My 5 years old will definitely love to do something like especially if it os messy and she loves bubbles!! Great idea I will try this with her over her summer holidays ๐Ÿ˜‰ thanks for the idea, xx #monsterlink

• July 15, 2015 / 8:07 pm