Its Harvest Time

I have mentioned before that Hubby and I are keen gardeners and love to grow our own fruit and veg. We are probably more keen than accomplished! But it is important for us to pass on this enthusiasm to Monkey. We have been growing since the Spring and now its time to start to harvest some of the veggies which is by far Monkey’s favourite part.

Growing seedsIn the Spring Monkey learnt to plant seeds (these are sunflowers) and watched them grow in the  conservatory before they were moved outside. Every time he came home from nursery he would rush to water them, helping to develop his nurturing side.

planting seedlingsHe also learnt what a dibber was for and helped planting the sweetcorn and courgette plants. We have not harvested any of the sweetcorn yet butI don’t think it will be long before they are ready because their flowers have started to die. He does like going up and finding courgettes amongst the undergrowth though. We planted both yellow and green this year and he loves pointing them out. We need to cut the plants so Hubby generally will pick them with him. He was very excited when he spotted a huge courgette over last weekend, which actually weighed in at 3.1kg! Not sure it will be worth eating though since it has got so big!

Huge Courgette

onionsHe also helped us to pull up the onions – its a bit early really but as next doors dog has damaged the leaves so they will start to soften unless we take them out of the ground. They are a reasonable size but not the giant versions we were hoping for.

IMG_2778We still have some late potatoes in but a few weeks ago we dug up our main crop. Monkey loved digging in the earth to find them, rescuing all the ones he could find, including some very small ones which will ever make it onto our plates. They were the ‘baby’ potatoes, the medium sized ones were ‘mummy’ potatoes and the large ones ‘daddy’ potatoes. He was very proud of the haul which filled up his wheelbarrow nicely.

His second favourite behind strawberries is tomatoes, he loves to eat them and he loves to pick them. This year we planted several different varieties which meant that it sparked lots of conversation about the different shapes and colours. His favourite were the traditional tomatoes though. Once picked he helped us to make passata which we will have on pasta later on in the week.

IMG_1009  IMG_1007Not only is it great fun to do, and it always tastes better home grown but by introducing your children to growing fruit and veg you are;

• Teaching them where food comes from
  • To be patient it takes time for the plant to grow and produce its fruit
  • To try vegetables and fruits they aren’t keen on
  • How fruit and vegetables fit into a healthy diet
  • Getting them outside

We have bigger plans for what we are going to grown next year including carrots at Monkey’s request. What would your little ones like to grow?

Mudpie xx

The Freerange Family
Life Unexpected

1. Emily
    August 22, 2015 / 6:22 am

We love growing fruit and veg with our kids too! This year we’ve grown carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, spring onions, salad etc! It’s great to get kids outdoor and learn where their food comes from! #busydoinglife

• August 22, 2015 / 7:54 am

We’ve never tried carrots – our soil is clay and needs a lot of work – can’t imagine carrots doing very well but I’ve promised! Any tips gratefully received x

2. made by me!
    August 22, 2015 / 6:29 am

We love growing veggies too although the last two years have been a total disaster with two house moves! It really is such a valuble experience for kids and I bet Monkey loves it! Thankyou so much for linking up with #busydoinglife again! Great to have you sharing!

• August 22, 2015 / 7:55 am

We always end up disappearing on holiday just as everything needs more attention and water so it can be a bit hit and miss here too 🙂 xx

3. newmummyblogcom
    August 22, 2015 / 7:08 am

Oh wow I’m so impressed at your veggies! And your knowledge – I’ve planted tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, carrots for the last 5 or 6 years, though not this year as we’re moving, but I’ve just learnt so much from your post. Thank you and gardening is such a great thing to teach the littles ones x

• August 22, 2015 / 7:57 am

We tried peppers the year before last but couldn’t get the sweetness they were really bitter and horrid not sure they got enough sun? Monkey loves red pepper so planning on trying again maybe next year – any tips gratefully received Cx

4. August 22, 2015 / 7:59 am

Wow, thats a fantastic courgette! Growing vegetables with children is a good fun experience.

5. Coombe Mill
    August 22, 2015 / 10:45 am

Love what you have grown here, I love doing the same and growing tomatoes has overcome the hate of them for many of my children, however I have failed this year with my greenhouse being overtaken by abandoned goats for nighttime feeds! Next year on the back of seeing your post I’m determined to reclaim my greenhouse and plant out with the kids again. I’d love to know what you made your massive courgette into? I’m envisaging a wonderful ratatouille. Thank you for joining me for Country Kids and enjoy your harvest.

• August 25, 2015 / 7:51 am

We ended up giving it away to one of hubby’s work colleagues to make into a stuffed marrow with quinoa and roasted veg ;). Good luck with reclaiming the greenhouse and thanks for hosting xx

6. August 22, 2015 / 2:18 pm

Wow, your garden is impressive! I manage to kill everything I try to grow. Looks like you little is enjoying the garden, too.

• August 25, 2015 / 7:52 am

I’m not very good with house plants! Lol – thanks for stopping by

7. August 22, 2015 / 3:13 pm

Wow, impressive loot there! We recently moved house and now have garden, Oliver loves to help water the plants. We have also discovered a blackberry bush at the bottom of the garden which he loves to pick. I think we may have a go at growing a few more bits next year.
    Becky- LittleOandme
    #CountryKids

• August 25, 2015 / 7:53 am

Yum blackberry and apple pie my favourite 🙂 I am sure he will love it 🙂 xx

8. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    August 23, 2015 / 2:04 pm

Those are all really important things to teach the kiddies. Getting fresh air, eating healthy & learning where things come from will serve Monkey well in life. x

9. Pingback: Busy Doing Life Linky #7 -
  10. August 31, 2015 / 6:17 pm

My daughter loves gardening, too. She has been learning so much by gardening with her grandparents, watching her food grow through every step of the process. Awesome stuff!

11. September 16, 2015 / 9:35 am

Wow you’ve got quite a harvest! We’re just harvesting our first crops from our allotment which we got last December – it’s such fun – but your bounty puts ours to shame! #whatevertheweather

12. September 16, 2015 / 9:42 am

That’s a fab harvest! My kids love getting stuck in at the allotment, like you say it’s good for them on so many levels. We grew their names in courgettes this year which was a huge hit!

• September 20, 2015 / 8:33 pm

What a great idea! Will be trying that next year 🙂 thank you x

13. September 16, 2015 / 10:29 am

Well done for growing all that! Looks fabulous, I bet you can’t wait to eat it all 🙂 #Whatevertheweather x

14. September 16, 2015 / 10:06 pm

I love growing our own fruit and veg too, but this year was a bit rubbish, there were millions of slugs, so lots of ours were eaten. I boiled some potatoes from the garden the other day (looked ok when I put them in the pot) to make mash, and when I checked to see if they were soft I noticed one looked black, took it out and there were loads of boiled slugs and eggs inside! Yuck! Hopefully next year won’t be so wet and we’ll have better slug defences. Our boys both love helping in the garden too, we’ve already got garlic planted for next year and a few late raspberries were picked today. Starting to plan what to grow next year now, the boys definitely want more peas!
    Thanks for linking up your amazing courgette to our #Whatevertheweather linky. 🙂 x

• September 20, 2015 / 8:45 pm

Gross!! That would really put me off! We don’t seem to have much luck with garlic our bulbs seem to split and they mutate into a other plant… Maybe we are leaving them in the ground too long? Thank you for hosting xx

15. chloelifeunexpected
    September 20, 2015 / 8:51 pm

I love this. We have big plans to grow food with Evie. I wish we’d started earlier this year but we never got around to it (very annoyed at myself now). It’s so lovely that he rushes in to water them. You’ve grown so much!! It’s such a brilliant idea to let them nurture the plants and teach them where food comes from. Educational and tasty! I’m really impressed, you definitely are accomplished. I can’t get over how many potatoes are in your little wheelbarrow. Thank you so so much for linking this to #whatevertheweather x

• September 23, 2015 / 4:47 pm

We try although we are still learning too and still failing with sweetcorn! Thank you for hosting xx

16. September 23, 2015 / 4:26 pm

We’ve not tried cucumbers but they are one of Monkey’s favourites so really should! Thank you for stopping by x