Worthing & District – Society of Model Engineers

As we were heading down to Worthing to visit the Connaught theatre to see The Scarecrows Wedding here, I googled to see if there was anything else going on. I am glad I did as I came across a 40th Birthday celebration for the Society of Model Engineers. I knew straight away that it would be right up Monkey’s street as they were running steam engine rides for 50p per person.

IMG_7327Located in Field Place, Durrington on the outskirts of Worthing they normally run 2pm-5pm for rides, April to October on the second and fourth Sunday of each month. You can find a schedule here. There is free parking although be warned there is not loads of it and when we turned up we struggled and ended up parking in residential roads close by.

The ride itself takes about 5 minutes and they run a couple of trains at the same time, you go round once on the lower level and get to go under the tunnel, then second time round of the bridge. Each train will take about 6 people each time so its good they run a couple otherwise the queues would be really long! There are ample places to perch for photos. Monkey really enjoyed it and for 50p a ride I wouldn’t have minded if he wanted to go on more than the twice he did.

There were also some steam engines to look at and remote control boats which held his interest for a while. As it was a 40th celebration they also put on tea, coffee and cakes. We probably stayed for about and hour, the train rides plus a drink and cake for all of us plus and ice lolly came to under £5.  The engine drivers were really friendly showing Monkey how the coal went in and explaining briefly how the engines worked. They only have one more public running day this year – other than the Christmas special, but we will definitely be back next year.

IMG_7324There is also a small play park right next door to the pavilion as well as public toilets located in the pavilion. We stopped off at the park for a quick swing and a go on the slide, however it was busy so we didn’t stay long.

For all train fanatic little boys in Sussex this could be a right find…

Mudpie xx

Life Unexpected
The Freerange Family

1. October 7, 2015 / 11:09 am

This place looks incredible and has just been placed on my to do list! Looks like you all had a fab time, thanks for sharing 🙂 #whatevertheweather

2. October 7, 2015 / 10:07 pm

Oh my O would love this! It looks very similar to the one we visited at Methven near Perth (also closed to the public until Easter next year). The train rides are so cheap, that makes it well worth having several goes and the drivers were very kind to show him how it worked. I love it when they take the time to talk to littler kids.
    Thanks so much for linking up to #Whatevertheweather

• October 12, 2015 / 7:09 pm

It’s definitely going on our bucket list again for next year! Thank you for hosting xx

3. October 7, 2015 / 10:44 pm

This sounds right up Tyler’s street, as a fellow toddler train enthusiast! That is so cool that you can actually ride the miniature trains, and for 50p – not even expensive either! Sabrina xx #whatevertheweather

• October 12, 2015 / 7:10 pm

I know! I still can’t get over the price! Thanks for stopping by x

4. October 10, 2015 / 7:09 am

Wow, this looks lik such a great place to visit! I bet Monkey loved it! Some of our favourite days out have involved trains or initure railways! The girls lOVE them! Thankyou so much for sharing this post with me on #busydoinglife! Its great to have you! x

• October 13, 2015 / 8:42 pm

Aw thanks Claire, and thank you for hosting xx

5. October 10, 2015 / 12:07 pm

Nice find. We have commercial trains in the area that my little has been bugging me for a ride on. I’d love to come across something like this close by

6. jermbarnes
    October 10, 2015 / 12:08 pm

We have commercial trains around here that the little has been bugging me for a ride on. I’d love to find some thing like this nearby

7. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    October 10, 2015 / 7:33 pm

My kids would go crazy for this ride. The train is so cute!! It’d be like riding a big toy. You can’t go wrong with 50p per ride either! #busydoinglife x

8. October 10, 2015 / 10:25 pm

A perfect little adventure, I was curious to read this post having our own mini train, they are lots of fun and ours was inspired from visiting an attraction not dissimilar to the one you went too. A lovely way to spend an hour of family time. Thank you for sharing with me on Country Kids.

• October 13, 2015 / 8:47 pm

Aw how cool, didn’t realise you had a train as well! They are so much fun xx

9. chloelifeunexpected
    October 11, 2015 / 7:14 pm

Oh I LOVE places like this. We have a place like this near to us and can’t wait to go with Evie. I used to go a lot when I was younger and used to love going round on all the different trains so much that I refused to get off one once (oops!). It sounds like a reasonable price too. Definitely a place you can go to again and again. Thank you so much for sharing this on #whatevertheweather x

• October 13, 2015 / 8:57 pm