DIY Beer Advent Calendar

Each year I always try to make the count down to Christmas special for Monkey thinking up lots of different activities. Such as the ones listed in this post here. However last year I thought that I should do the same for Hubby and have now started another Christmas tradition in our house. Hubby’s beer advent calendar!

Stockholm

This year I enlisted Monkey’s help. Hubby prefers proper beer to larger, although you could do the same with miniatures, 33ml wine, larger or cider depending on your other half’s preference. We brought the majority of ours at the local Waitrose who do a great range of world beers.

IMG_8091

I also picked some up from local breweries and a couple of craft beers when we visited RHS Wisley. One of which comes with its very own traditional beer glass and is called Grumpy Santa Beer which will be right up Hubby’s street! I like to keep the wrapping simple so used brown paper. It can take some time to wrap up all the bottles but I did have a little helper.

IMG_8094

To store them all I cut down a cardboard box, I wanted to be able to see the tops of the bottles over the top of the box. I did this by using the flaps as a template so that it was the right depth all they way round. If you are a bit of a perfectionist like me then the tricky bit is covering the box in wrapper paper. As my box was on the small side I only covered the outside.

IMG_8152

If your box is on the larger side then you can used shredded paper to keep the bottles up right or to hide the inside of the box.

IMG_8155

I used a Sharpie to write numbers on the Christmas tags and secured each with a bow. The tags I brought came from Sainsbury’s (£1 for 8 and on 3 for 2 at the moment) and the bows were from Wilkinson (£1 for 25). Monkey helped with sticking the bows on which is very hard work…

IMG_8154

Then all you need to do is pop them in the box

IMG_8156

If you wanted to do something similar then then the materials you will need:

• 25 bottles of alcohol
  • Brown paper
  • Scissors
  • Cellotape
  • Cardboard box
  • Christmas wrapping paper
  • Sharpie
  • 25 Tags
  • 25 Bows
  • Shredded paper if your box is on the large side

I hope you all enjoy the count down to Christmas, I am sure we will in our house.

A Cornish Mum

Mums' Days

1. November 25, 2015 / 8:16 am

What a great idea, this is definitely Pinterest worthy!! Your hubby is one lucky man, I wonder if someone would do the same with me but with handbags….

• Dan
      November 25, 2015 / 2:01 pm

But wouldn’t the hand bags get sticky if you filled them with beer?

2. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    November 25, 2015 / 2:26 pm

You are the master of great ideas! I love this one. Your husband is going to be so happy with his advent calendar. I love that you have a variety of craft beers for him to try & the finished look is fab. Monkey is a great helper! x

3. November 25, 2015 / 4:04 pm

I love this idea. Beer in a calendar is certainly a unique selling point and what better way to surprise the one you love than through their gut?!

4. November 25, 2015 / 4:37 pm

This is such an awesome idea, I am sure your hubby will love opening this everyday till christmas. This is the first time I am seeing a beer calendar and I love it.

5. Angela at days in bed
    November 25, 2015 / 5:11 pm

we don’t drink beer but this is a cool idea Love it and may do one with a drink we do drink! lol! I imagine this would be fun for sylvia and I!

6. November 25, 2015 / 8:03 pm

An excellent idea. My other half would love this! 🙂

7. You Baby Me Mummy (@YouBabyMeMummy)
    November 25, 2015 / 8:18 pm

This is such an amazing idea! I am seriously thinking of stealing it for Mr Hubby. Need to find reasonably priced beer, otherwise it could be a little pricey! x

8. moderatemum
    November 25, 2015 / 9:53 pm

This is inspired! My hubby and I recently went on an ale tasting night so I think he’d really appreciate this

9. November 25, 2015 / 10:40 pm

I love this idea, a friend of mine did it last year for her partner, I wish I had thought of it. You have definitely inspired me to do this…. xx

10. November 26, 2015 / 8:56 am

Very clever idea, I love! I’m so used to Advent Calenders being for chocolate but this has inspired me to do it for anything xx

11. November 26, 2015 / 8:15 pm

Such a great idea! My hubby would love this – not sure I’m keen on him drinking beer every night in December though! x

12. The Anxious Dragon
    November 27, 2015 / 7:22 am

Oh god help me if my hubby should come accross this post. He has already asked if he can have a 24 pack of beer as an alternative advent calender!! #picknmix

13. November 27, 2015 / 8:55 am

This is great x #PicknMix

14. November 27, 2015 / 2:18 pm

My husband would love this! Maybe next year I’ll be organised and stock up on random ales throughout the year, spread the cost that way! x

15. Sara Handy Herbs
    November 27, 2015 / 5:11 pm

What a lovely idea and what a lucky guy!! You have been very busy! Thanks for sharing #PicknMix

16. November 28, 2015 / 10:49 am

What a brilliant idea!! I suspect Si would love this, I might surprise him with it next year and but the bottles through the year 🙂
    Thanks for linking up to #Picknmix
    Stevie x