Book Advent for a 3 Year Old

Last year for the fist year we complied a book advent calendar for Monkey, he loved opening a book each day and would often carry them around with him asking ‘again, again’. This year is no different, as soon as he gets in from nursery he wants to open the book, this even take precent over the chocolate calendar Nannie brought him – although thats a very close second!! So I thought I would share with you the list of books we have chosen this year, some of which we have picked up in local second hand shops and on special during the Summer months on amazon.

Book Adventfor a3 Year Old

I used cheap wrapping paper from Wilkinsons and downloaded some free advent numbers from Living Locurto which you can find here. They were printed onto A4 labels and then cut out to avoid having to use glue.  In no particular order here are the books we have chosen:

1. Nativity Play Set – Lets Pretend
  20. The First Christmas – Miles Kelly
  21. The Little Fir Tree – Jim Lamarche
  22. The Polar Express – Chris Van Allsburg
  23. Silent Night, Holy Night – Joseph Mohr
  24. The Twelve Days of Christmas – Miles Kelly

IMG_8203

Its also a great way to help Monkey recognise his numbers, as its amazing how some of the ones he’s been struggling with he gets first time when he wants to open a book! It also helps for him to see the benefit of knowing his numbers and give him the motivation to learn.

IMG_8219

Have you arranged a book advent this year? What are the titles of your kiddie’s festive favourites this time of year?

1. December 3, 2015 / 7:46 am

Book advents are such a great idea – we’re doing one this year for the first time and the children are loving it so far. It’s interesting to see that there’s only one title on your list that’s on ours – Mr Christmas. It makes me realise just how many different Christmas books there are out there! 🙂

2. December 3, 2015 / 8:47 am

Aww a fab selection of books.
    Will u be using the same books next year?

3. December 3, 2015 / 9:52 am

We’ve done a Christmas/Winter themed book advent for the first time this year and my boys are absolutely loving it. I don’t know why i’ve never thought to do one before because it’s such a great alternative to chocolate! Mine love ‘Father Christmas Needs A Wee’ and ‘The Gruffalo’s Child’ xx

4. December 3, 2015 / 2:32 pm

I absolutely love this idea and it is one I have banked for next year for my niece as she is a little bookworm x

5. December 3, 2015 / 4:08 pm

Aw what a lovely idea:) Your son is a very lucky boy. I love the Raymond Briggs books they are such Christmas classics

6. December 3, 2015 / 5:48 pm

What an awesome idea, I do not have kids yet but I hope to be as creative when I have kids as you. I am sure your boy will cherish these memories.

7. December 3, 2015 / 8:18 pm

I live your choices, my boy will be this age next Christmas so I’m pinning this!

8. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    December 3, 2015 / 10:20 pm

What a great idea! Look at all of those books. Monkey is one lucky boy. It’s a wonderful idea to celebrate reading & advent. You have some great picks there! x

9. December 3, 2015 / 11:07 pm

I think this is a much better idea than a chocolate advent calendar because it will last longer and teach them values about Christmas. What will you do next year?

10. December 4, 2015 / 2:10 pm

I love books and so does my little one, so I love this idea and wish I had done one because I have already brought so many for her Christmas stocking! Some great choices! 🙂 x

11. October 11, 2016 / 6:15 pm

Really want to do this! Last year we had an Xmas eve box with a few Xmas books. This year I have more time to plan!