Gender Predictors – Fact or Fiction? Our Reveal
Now the Christmas craziness is over with I thought I would share with you the gender of impending arrival. However before I do I thought I would compare the outcome of some of the old wives tales often used to predict gender which I considered prior to our scan.
- Heartbeat – You may remember that I made reference to Pips heart beat being 145/150 beats per minute in my 16 week check up with the midwife. Anything over 140 would generally indicate a Girl.
- Food Cravings – Generally craving sweet things would indicate a girl over savoury indicating a boy. Now I’ve struggled with food so this isn’t the best indicator for me, plus I have a sweet tooth anyway. However in the first trimester I definitely had a sweet bias towards chocolate, sugar and randomly Bakewell tarts. I have also fancied cheese, carbs and Caprese salad, so where does that leave me? Girl
- Chinese Birth Chart – is often consulted as the oracle it considers the mothers age and the month of conception to determine if you are expecting a boy or a girl. If you want to try it out for yourself the Baby Centre has one here. My result came out as Boy.
- Skin – if its not behaving itself and you are getting more spots than usual you are thought to be carrying a girl. The theory behind this is that a baby girls steals her mothers beauty. Bearing in mind that early pregnancy is one huge normal imbalance I am not sure how much emphasis you can place on this, as I definitely had more than usual, but not a breakout, so I would say a Boy.
- Wedding Ring – place your wedding ring on a chain and dangle it over your pregnant belly, if it swings round and round then you have a girl, back and forth is a boy. Mine went in circles so a Girl.
- Morning Sickness – if you have little or no sickness then as the old wives tale goes then you are expecting a boy. If you do have sickness and it continues then likely to be a girl. I had no morning sickness with Monkey, this time round I suffered late morning and late afternoon initially. The queasiness didn’t go until around 16 weeks. Girl.
- Extra Weight – if your weight gain is on your belly then its a boy, if you put on weight round your bottom and thighs its a girl. Now I have had a very definite bump upfront but I am still (at 22 weeks) 2 kilos lighter than when I conceived. It also looks more of a basketball shape (boy) than a watermelon shape (girl) so I think that equals Boy.
- Feet Colder – if your feet are colder than before pregnancy then you are carrying a boy. Being on herpin I am generally colder anyway, plus its winter so I am in my slippers anyway. I think this is a hard one to call but lets go Boy.
- Baby’s Nub – looking at the 12 week scan if you can get a clearer enough photo to see the nub between babies legs this can help in determining gender. If the nub points upwards by more than 30 degrees its a boy. Now try as I might I could not see or tell! But there are lots of pictures on google which claim to show it clearly. For me this didn’t work at all.
- Wonky Breasts – now if you have breast fed then the chances are you are no longer even anyway! However the test goes that if you right breast is bigger than the left then you are having a boy, if its the other way round then its a girl. Girl.
- Movement – a chilled out baby is more likely to predict a girl over a boy, as some say boys move more. Monkey lived up to this kicking all over the place at the 12 week scan, whereas Pip was very lazy and hardly moved. Girl.
- Hairy Legs – if you are carrying a girl then the hair on your legs grows less or the same as before. If it is a boy it grows quicker. Obviously subjective testing here, however I am not needing to shave as often so Girl.
Outcome: Girls 7, Boys 4, one undecided, but what was the result of our 20 week scan?
This is all a bit of fun, ultimately my concerns are all about making sure Pip is healthy and we get through the next 18 weeks and I carry full term. However I am enjoying knowing this time round especially with the Christmas sales on. Monkey is also very happy as he has a preference for a baby brother over a baby sister. I’m off to try and find big brother, little brother t-shirts and to consider name options.