Kipper’s One Month Update
I have no idea where the last month has gone, and although I write in a diary ever night for Kipper I’m not really sure what we have been up to! I did the same diary entries for Monkey but Kipper’s diary is a lot more about Monkey and they things we have been getting up to with him and Kipper has been in his pram the whole time! The problems with being a second child….
I brought these cute little vests from Next each with a month on it, I purchased them quite recently and they also have pastel versions for the little girls. They run from 1month to 12 months and make the whole monthly photo recording a doddle. My plan is to try and take a monthly photo which allows me to add an update to it and then at the end of the first year make it into a little photo book. Of course its quite a challenge to get a photo and there were a number of screaming versions of the above.
Right from the beginning he’s been a Mummy’s boy. At the moment it’s more pronounced as Kipper is just going through a developmental leap and as such has been needing to feed more frequently (every couple of hours) and needing to be held more. Now I know there is the train of thought that the more you hold your baby the more they need holding and you are making a rod for your own back… But Kipper (despite my protests) will be my last baby so quite frankly I will spoil him with cuddles at every opportunity.
- Weight – at last weigh in he was 10lb 1oz (3 weeks old) which means he made up his birth weight and some putting on a whole pound in 10 days. It also puts Kipper in the 91st percentile.
- Height – 22.5 inches
- Clothing Size – really Kipper is out of newborn clothes although I am still refusing to accept this. Partly because he is appearing to be long in the body and shorter in the legs.
- Health – other than the initial trip back into Neo Natal we have been lucky and everything seems to be progressing as it should. He does have a lot of milk spots which are turning into black heads! I am hoping that this is a good sign – that Kipper’s oily skin will mean he will avoid the eczema infliction that haunts Monkey. He is also very windy! Although our recent trips to the chiropractor seem to be helping that problem.
- Loves – Cuddles with Mummy, during the day his preferred method of sleeping is in my arms. Kipper also really loves his bouncy chair and often gurgles when he is in it. He’s also pretty good with tummy time surprisingly we have only done it a handful of times but he manages a few minutes each time!
- Hates – The carseat! In fact he quite often screams his head off when you put him in it and eventually cries himself to sleep in the car. This is a whole new experience as Monkey loved the car. Being naked and vests going over his head so changing time is not the most stress free experience! He also is not a fan of the swinging chair much preferring to be able to kick around on the floor.
- Habits – He’s found his hands and likes to suck them! I’m not surprised as he was doing this inside my tummy. He will take a dummy too which I give him at nap times and at night.
- Development – Kipper’s not smiling yet, although he’s starting to get excited when kicking around and also in his bouncy chair. I managed to get some video footage the other day which is adorable… even if I do say so myself!! When held close Kipper is starting to focus on my face and he loves anything bright. He’s also been demonstrating the Moro reflex normally when Monkey gets too close with an overzealous game. As far as holding his head up, Kipper can manage some head strength when held upright on your shoulder and a few seconds on the tummy time mat. he is also crying real tears now…normally when he goes in his carseat!
- Sleeping – We had this, but with the development leap theres been a couple of sleepless nights recently. Before this Kipper was waking around 2am and around 5am. Which was fantastic as it actually meant you felt like you had a decent chunk of sleep. I’m hopeful we will get back there soon.
- Eating – Due to the development leap and the hot weather Kipper has been feeding more than every three hours during the day, sometimes he only goes an hour between feeds. But before this last week or so he was every three hours, I’m confident he will go back to it and I aim to feed at 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 10pm as these timings generally work around whatever I have going on in the day. Of course if he needs more frequent feeds then he gets them. I feed on both sides at each feed and generally he’s on four around half an hour in total.
- Toys – Really at one month Kipper is far to young for books and toys although he is enjoying his Tummy Time mat and I would like to get him something for his carseat as he’s started to look up while in it.
- Favourite outfit – I have a couple of newborn baby grows which he has now grown out of!! One has little crocodiles on it from Next and the other has a train on the front and is from JoJo Maman Bebe, both of which I will be keeping and will end up in his keepsake box.
- Things I don’t want to forget – the little grunting noises he makes when he is feeding and the machine noise after when he needs burping!! I really need to video them. Oh and of course the mummy cuddles, I think I must have dozens of sleeping baby photos post feed – they just look so peaceful!
- Looking forward to.. that first social smile
Check back next month for some more cute photos and an update on his development
Linking up to The List