HELP – I’m in a Blogging Slump!
I’m in a blogging slump! Mudpie Fridays is coming up to 18 months old and I’ve lost my mojo. I’m sure as bloggers we have all been there, but it’s taken me a while to figure it out. Meaning I have been ploughing on regardless and that has made it worse in someways. I read some interesting stats the other day about the number of blogs that don’t make it past the first year and I wonder is that me? Playing with Crowd fire I realised there is a lot of people that I follow on Twitter who haven’t been a active for more than three months – mainly other bloggers. Maybe I’ve just got to burn out, after all I publish something everyday, try and promote it everyday and I have a three month old? I’ve not written a craft or learning post for what seems like ages and that’s what I wanted to write about! So travelling back from the New Forest I started thinking about this and what I was going to do about it.
Just incase you are contemplating the same thing here’s how I know I am in a rutt:
- I stopped joining linkys and when I did my heart wasn’t really in it
- I am so disorganised I spend my whole time thinking about Facebook threads I haven’t completed and then panicking about them
- I’ve always written in the evenings but at the moment some trashy TV programme is more interesting
- I have nothing scheduled – whereas I would normally have two weeks posts lined up
- I’m blaming blogging for taking me away from my boys
- I’ve stopped sharing my posts in Facebook groups
- I don’t reply to comments on the blog or social media (although please don’t stop as this is the first thing I’m changing)
- I’ve stopped using my planner and instead rely on keeping things in my head which doesn’t work when you have a 3 month old and a very active 4 year old
- I have no idea who my audience is
- I doubt my own posts and often wonder if I am any good at this and why I bother anyway? The same goes for photos
- I think my content is boring
- There’s things I want to change on the blog but never get round to it such as sidebar, my about me page, categories etc
- And probably the biggest sign of all – I think about giving up everyday!
So I guess the question is – am I?
No…. Well not yet anyway! Instead I’m going to do the following to see if it makes me feel any better
- Im going to get social again, responding to comments on the blog and social media – rather than it just being a function of Facebook threads
- I’m going to get organised, I am sure if I can clear my head a little it will make a big difference. There’s no more time in the day so I need to be more effective. I’ve decided my planner doesn’t really work for me. I like to see everything in one place, so instead I m going to design some weekly and daily checklists.
- I’m going to plan some crafting and learning posts and get back do what I enjoy writing about.
- I’m going to write down my bigger goals and set aside time each week to get them done, or at least spend time on them and move them forward
- I’m going to stop worrying about wasting my maternity leave blogging and instead write a non blog list of things I’m going to do with kipper. And yes sad but true I am going to schedule it.
- One night a week I’m staying off is social media, I need to invest in my relationship too
- I’m going to catch up on some reading, including joining in linkys again and reading articles on blogging via my Pinterest board. I am certain this will improve my motivations
- And if in a months time I’m out of my rutt I’m jumping in with both feet and going self hosted to try and fix all those niggly things which are starting to grate!
I always said I wasn’t going to write about blogging on Mudpie Fridays but I have found this very cathartic! It’s the first post that has just flowed for a while. So there we have it, anyone else in a blogging slump? Or maybe you have been in one and got yourself out of it? I would be grateful to hear any tips you have in the comments below.