Monkey was given a tablet for Christmas from his grandparents and ever since we are always on the look out for new apps. So when I was contacted by Kidloland to review their educational app for children I was interested to see how it would measure up against some much loved favourites. Plus with Monkey just starting school anything which helps with letters and numbers in a fun way scores highly with me at the moment.
There is so much to this app – over 340 interactive songs and games, you really need to try it out for yourself (see free giveaway at the end of the post!) Once through the intro screens you have the following options:
Behind each one of these there are options to download activities and songs (which means you always have it with you even if you are not online!). This was ideal when we went away as it meant he had something to keep him entertained on the plane. You can even add the songs to your personal playlist on your phone! The downloads do not happen automatically so you will need to do this before leaving home. There is just so much that I think even after a month we are still discovering new elements each time Monkey plays.
The app is available on Apple and Android, Monkey has a Kindle Fire so we downloaded it from Amazon. And the verdict… he loves it. He particularly likes the animals and vehicles sections, initially playing with the games but then enjoying watching the songs more. I think this is because they are truly interactive and he enjoys trying to find which element is going to move if you touch it. I tried desperately to catch a picture of his face playing the app but he was too focused on what he was doing…
Oh and they have a Christmas section too… Monkey enjoys singing along with Jingle Bells almost on a daily basis! What is it with kids and Christmas, its only September!
Here’s a sneaky little snippet of what you can expect:
Things we loved:
- The app is advert free – yay!
- The activities such as join the dots really help with hand eye coordination
- The colourful characters in all of the songs and games really capture the imagination
- I love the subtitles on the songs, although Monkey is still away off reading its great that he can see the words for some of his favourite songs
- There is just so much it keeps going and going…
- New content is added regularly so there is always something new to explore
- Its a perfect for Monkey starting school, reinforcing learning in a fun and interactive way
The only thing you need to bare in mind is that you need to download the songs and activities, at four Monkey is quite capable of doing this himself and surprisingly they don’t take too long even if some of them are 30mb! However for a younger child I could imagine that it maybe a little frustrating having to wait.
Things you need to know:
- Its aimed at pre-schoolers and under 5s
- You need to subscribe to the app, for one month the cost is £3.99, 6 months is £18.99 and one year is £29.99
- There are plans afoot to increase the number of songs and add in additional stories, games to teach phonics, manners, seasons, occupations, weather, good habits, colouring, and a lot more.
- It just won the Spring 2016 Academics’ Choice Smart Media Award in May
- You can find out more about the app on the Kidloland Website.
In summary there is an awful lot on this app more than I could have imagined. Its almost a one stop shop for educational songs and activities. When I was initially told the price I was a little sceptical but you don’t really need any others and with the planned additions you definitely get your moneys worth! If you fancy trying it out for yourself then please have a go at winning one of five three month subscriptions in the giveaway below. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Terms and Conditions:
- Please enter using the link above which will take you to the Gleam application
- Competition is open to residents of UK, CI, IoM & ROI aged 18 or over
- There is no cash alternative offered
- There are five, three month subscriptions available
- The winner will be drawn at random from all qualifying entries. The winners will will each receive a 3 month subscription to Kidloland
- The competition will close on 1st October 2016 at midnight, winners will be notified through Twitter
If you liked this then you may want to see what other giveaways I have running – Good Luck!
If you’ve liked this post please follow me on my social media channels:
We were given a two year subscription to Kidloland in return for this review, all words and opinions are my own.