Blogging Two Years In & Amazon Giveaway
Today my third baby Mudpie Fridays is two years old, I have no idea how I have found myself still here are two years. Considering many blogs disappear during their first two years I am giving myself a pat on the back for surviving this long! Little did I know when I wrote this post about Dinosaur Small World Play that I would still be writing two years later! Although don’t get me wrong like many bloggers there are times when I have lost my mojo. At the time I remember thinking this is it, its taking over my life I’m stopping. But I would only manage a couple of days off before coming back to it. So I guess its here to stay.
Why did I start blogging?
It started as an outlet for creativity I needed something to focus on other than work and family, something for me. We had been through a string of miscarriages and although I didn’t plan and still really haven’t written about my experiences with regards to these I suppose in some ways they were the catalyst for starting Mudpie Fridays. Incidentally if you are wondering how the name came about, I was hanging out the washing at the time! I wanted to include the word Friday as its my day off with Monkey each week and was watching him playing in the mud and it seemed to fit. The rest as they say is history.
Achievements to Date:
So what have I achieved to date? Well I would be lying if I said this is a hobby. It is but I am slowly realising that it is also so much more than that. Although I am a long way off a pro, I have finally stated to earn money writing sponsored content, not sure I am going to hit my three blogging goals for the year though. I have also realised that it creates an opportunity for me to set up a little business of my own. Thats a project I hope to start this year although we are already three months in and Ive not made a start yet. But the thought is pretty empowering
- I have met some lovely people – that goes without saying, and although I am not on social media during the day because of work I have a couple of close blogging buddies. Your tribe doesn’t need to be big.
- I am currently running two linkys #BloggerClubUK with Becky from Cuddle Fairy and Debbie from My Random Musings. I have also set up a very new (like not even a week old yet) link up for Blog Giveaways, as my page has a reasonable amount of traffic each day so I thought I would share it with everyone.
- I also run a Instagram community with Laura from Life with Baby Kicks – #RememberingTheseDays having just recently broken the 25,000 tag mark we hope to gain more momentum and break the 50,000 this year.
- Stats – now some bloggers are driven by these others are not. I would be lying if I said they weren’t important for me (I work in a sales environment during the day its hard wired into my make up), on average Mudpie Fridays gets around 16,000 views a month. My personal target is 60,000 so I am along way off, but I do know its possible, hey least it has gone up since my 1st Birthday! Around 32,000 follow Mudpie Fridays over all social media channels
- Tots100 is a parent blogger leader board formed of around 10,000 blogs. Each month they rank blogs according to a scoring mechanism. Reaching the top 100 for me is brilliant and a goal I had set myself last year. Next the top 50 maybe?
- The opportunities that the blog has brought my family still astounds me and this year we are even managing to holiday away thanks to Mudpie Fridays.
- Although none of my posts have been published I am going to be featuring in a well known baby magazine in a couple of months which is a little high five moment.
Things I have learnt:
- Attend a blogging conferences not only are they a great ay to network but I have always picked up loads of useful information. Some are better than others for working with brands… this year I am hoping to get to four (at the moment I may sign up to more yet!) assuming Hubby doesn’t mind.
- Become a social media manager – if I am honest I hate this bit and try to automate everything as much as possible. You can read all about what I am doing with my social media accounts in my monthly blog updates – January Blogging Review.
- Make friends – build yourself a support network so when you are having a dry spell or have a question you have somewhere to go with it.
- Be true to yourself – write about things which are important to you, regardless of what they are, if you are not passionate about it people can tell in your writing. Also bare this in mind when agreeing on sponsored content or product reviews. I find the times I am not enjoying it are when I have a lot of ‘paid for’ content to publish and write. Now I try to only publish two of these posts a week.
- Try and get organised – with so much to do if you can build a weekly plan which revolves around your commitments and stick to it, it makes life a lot easier. A journal will help you do this although I tend to use sticky notes and my editorial calendar.
- I should have gone self hosted a long time ago. With all the plugins available to help you and the themes I am now really happy with the way the blog looks.
TO SAY A BIG THANK YOU
I wanted to say the biggest thank you to all my readers for keeping me here writing day after day, night after night! Below is a chance to win a £50 Amazon voucher. This is just a little gift from me, it’s not sponsored or paid for by anyone other than me and its really easy to enter.
I have some other giveaways running at the moment so please check them out in the Blog Giveaways Page above. Good Luck!