Eight Reasons to make a Back to School Summer Scrapbook

Eight Reasons to make a Back to School Summer Scrapbook: This month Bostik post is a little different, although it does still include craft it is perhaps a more obvious one. Monkey has spent a lot of his time with his grandparents this Summer because I have been working. He’s had a great time going fossil hunting, playing on the beach and going on train journeys. We have managed a few day trips to The Story Museum, Oxford Castle, Marwell Zoo and Newmarket Racecourse. And how could I forget our weekend away camping to The Big Family Festival. He’s been to a friends Birthday Party and has a playdate organised for next week before we fly off to Tuscany. Thats a lot!

So when Monkey goes back into Year one in a couple of weeks time and his new teacher asks him to tell the class what he had got up to? I wonder what he will say? I still remember one year having to sit and write everything down for my new teacher. I always dreaded it. So I have been thinking and this year we will be making a scrapbook for him to take with him and thanks to some super cleaver sticking solutions it can come with us to Tuscany as well.

Before I launch into a list of things we will be using for ours I started thinking of the benefits of scrapbooking for Monkey:

Eight Reason to make a Back to School Summer Scrapbook:

1. Encourages reading and writing – Monkey got excited about the idea of collecting things to put in his scrapbook. I will encourage him to write his favourite part of the day and a title
  2. Engages conversation – as we compile the book it eases us to discuss the days out or things we have seen
  3. Practices his creative side as we add in stickers and mementos from our adventures
  4. Fine motor skills and dexterity as we stick in our finds, especially with those little foam squares.
  5. Ease back into a daily routine since he has been out of one since finishing school four weeks ago. It may only be ten to fifteen minutes a day but its still routine.
  6. At Kipper’s bedtime Monkey can feel a little left out as we have started letting him stay up a little longer, this is something he can do with us. An extension of his quality time.
  7. Its a lovely keepsake of Monkey’s first school Summer holiday – an excuse to collect some family photos.
  8. Monkey will be able to take it in to show his school friends on his first day back at school easing the transition back in.

To make  your own Back to School Summer Scrapbook:

• A4 or A3 scrapbook with coloured paper
  • Foam squares
  • Glue dots
  • Bostik white glue
  • Colouring pencils and felt pens
  • Coloured paper
  • Stickers
  • Ribbon, buttons, feathers and glitter – anything you want to use to decorate your pages
  • Alphabets
  • Scissors

Things you may want to collect to put in your scrapbook:

• Tickets and stubs
  • Photos
  • Flyers or leaflets on days out
  • A few coins
  • Maps
  • Ice cream spoons (clean) or printed napkins
  • Restaurant business cards
  • Magazine cut outs
  • Postcards

Knowing Monkey there will probably a few sticks and stones in there as well…

Scrapbooking can be done at anytime during the holidays and is the perfect activity for when the weather is not behaving. Also with the clever glue dots and foam squares it also means you can do it anywhere as it keeps mess to a minimum. They also don’t add a lot of bulk to a suitcase making it a lovely calming thing to do after dinner and before bed. What would you include in your Back to School Scrapbook?

This post has been written in collaboration with Bostik

1. August 27, 2017 / 6:41 pm

I love this and it’s been something I’ve been thinking about recently too. Lily is still at home with me (and will be homeschooled but we’re going to do the 2-day a week nursery thing for a year anyway to see how it goes) and I’m thinking of making a scrapbook every season to remember our adventures. Fab idea! 🙂 x

2. August 30, 2017 / 8:18 am

Fantastic idea, so simple and it never occurred to me. My oldest is starting school this years so im definitely doing this #bloggerclubuk

3. August 30, 2017 / 8:27 am

This is a great idea, six weeks is such a long time for them to remember what they’ve done and then be expected to write it down! #BloggerClubUK

4. August 30, 2017 / 8:53 am

I love this idea, and my kids love writing and drawing in their books. I always make a photo book of the summer but it would be lovely for the kids to make scrapbooks too.

5. August 30, 2017 / 11:57 am

That’s an interesting idea for a craft thing to do with the kids. I used to scrapbook when the boys were babies but have since gotten out of it. I like the idea of having the kids do one of their own though:) Thanks so much for hosting #bloggerclubuk

6. August 30, 2017 / 2:55 pm

This is CUTE! I’m also inspired by a happiness jar – get an old big transparent jar and add all your tickets and stubs to it. Then you can go through it at the end of the year and decide where to go next #BloggersClubUK

7. August 30, 2017 / 8:24 pm

Such a lovely idea. It reminds me of the school holiday diary I used to have to write at primary school – but so much better! #bloggerclubuk

8. August 31, 2017 / 8:04 am

Love scrapbooking. I’d love to do this and like you said a great way to prompt memories so they have something to say when they go back #bloggerclubuk

9. August 31, 2017 / 8:23 pm

Scarpbooks are such a cute way to capture moments in time. My only fear is that one day I’ll end up with an entire garage full..! #BloggerClubUK

10. August 31, 2017 / 8:23 pm

11. September 2, 2017 / 1:10 am

This sounds like so much fun to make and reminisce about the fun you’ve had. Will be lovey to look back on too
    Thanks for linking up to #BloggerClubUK 🙂
    Debbie

12. September 2, 2017 / 9:23 am

This is such a lovely idea and so many great reasons to do it! My son was actually given an A4 envelope at the end of term, and his homework for the summer was to fill it with photos and bits and pieces to show everyone what they got up to in the summer when they go back to school next week. x #BloggerClubUK

13. September 4, 2017 / 12:21 pm

This is such a lovely idea, Clare! You always come up with the nicest crafts that are also beautiful memories. Monkey will have so many lovely keepsakes to remember his childhood when he is grown up.

14. September 8, 2017 / 10:44 am

This is a lovely way to record summer memories. I’ll try to remember to do this next summer holiday! #BloggerClubUK

15. September 21, 2017 / 12:20 pm

ooh I love this idea too – you’re very clever! my little boy’s nursery gave us one at the end of july and I loved talking to him about what they had done and seeing all the pictures and little bits and pieces stuck in there. A summer one for school is a really nice idea and great way to collate all the bits and pieces i have stuck in drawers (i’m such a hoarder!) #bloggerclubuk