The Importance of Free Play

The Importance of Free Play: We are big fans of play here at Mudpie Fridays. In fact its probably one of the reasons I started writing here in the first place. The first ever post I wrote was all about setting up a dinosaur small world play in a tuff spot. Although its a little cringe worthy on the writing front I still stand for all its messages. That play should be fun and give the child the chance to explore and make their own decisions. I had no idea that the sort of play we enjoy here is actually termed Free Play.

So what is free play?

Play England defines Free Play as “…children choosing what they want to do, how they want to do it and when they want to stop and try something else. Free Play has no external goals set by adults and has no adult imposed curriculum. Although adults usually provide the space and resources for Free Play and might be involved, the child takes the lead and the adults respond to cues from the child.”

As a toddler Monkey would have access to all sorts of treasure baskets and play materials. He would move from one thing to another with very little interaction from me. I would sit and watch and help him when he wanted it. We specifically chose a childcare provider that supported this type of play and learning through practicing Reggio Emilia. Yet as he has grown and started school he now chooses to turn to the TV and play on his tablet for entertainment. Sometimes I am too busy to realise that he no longer plays as much as he use to, preferring technology interventions to fill his boredom.

I know we are not alone, yet we started out on the play journey so well! Which is why the Petits Filous Play Free Campaign could not have come at a better moment. Launching today the campaign highlights the child development benefits of Free Play and how children learn through Free Play. A very timely reminder for me!

Play helps children to learn things that can not be taught

If you think of the types of play we use to engage in as kids then tended to be outside building camps, forts and tree houses. As a child I would disappear to play over the fields for most of the day with the little friends I had in my street. Thats not something that really seems to happen now. Activities are a lot more structured and kids are not allowed to roam for fear of the worst happening. Although as a parent I acknowledge this, it doesn’t mean that the play I use to get up to can’t be adapted for Monkey and Kipper. To make it a safer version for the next generation. Monkey could still build forts and dens in the garden or even in the living room. Kipper could still enjoy a mud kitchen and getting filthy. They could still have all the learning experiences I did as child.

One thing is for sure, while they are out adventuring and taking part in Free Play its important the children get everything they need to ensure they are developing correctly. Petits Filous provides Monkey with the goodness of calcium and vitamin D, for healthy bones*. I didn’t realise that children can not make calcium so its important that they get it through their diet. The easiest way to do this is to ensure they get three portions of calcium a day. Although yogurts and fromage frais contain calcium not all have vitamin D. Petits Filous are fortified with vitamin D which means they now contain 50% of the recommend daily allowance of vitamin D. You can learn more about the nutritional benefits of Petits Filous at petitsfilous.co.uk.

Monkey has always loved Petits Filous and it makes the perfect snack for Free Play at home or away. Since they have Petits Filous pouches which are ideal for when we are out and about as they don’t need a spoon and can be kept out of the fridge  for five hours! There are also the Petits Filous little pots which are great for at home and just the right size for Monkey. Not only does Monkey enjoy them but a recent Change4Life campaign launched by Public Heath England recommends Petits Filous with less than 100 calories per serving as a healthy snack for kids!**

Petits Filous Play Free campaign Campaign image.jpg

I am sure the Petits Filous Campaign will help me to put Free Play back on our agenda and reduce some of the screen time. In the coming weeks I will be discussing our own free play experiences with parenting expert Anita Cleare. I look forward to sharing these with you here on Mudpie Fridays, so please do bookmark this post and come back in a couple of weeks to find out how we got on.

I am working with Petit Filous and Britmums promoting the #PetitsFilousPlayFree campaign about the importance of free play.

*EU Authorised Claim: ‘Calcium and vitamin D are needed for normal growth and development of bone in children’

***on specific variants: Petits Filous Strawberry & Raspberry Fromage Frais 6 x 47g, Petits Filous Strawberry & Apricot Fromage Frais 6 x 47g, Petits Filous Strawberry & Banana Fromage Frais 6 x 47g, Petits Filous Strawberry Fromage Frais 6 x 47g,Petits Filous Strawberry & Raspberry Fromage Frais 4 x 85g, Petits Filous Strawberry & Apricot Fromage Frais 4 x 85g,My First Petits Filous 6 x 47g, Petits Filous Magic Squares Strawberry & Vanilla 4 x 80g, Petits Filous Magic Squares Raspberry & Vanilla 4 x 80g, Petits Filous Strawberry Pouch 1 x 70g, Petits Filous Raspberry Pouch 1 x 70g,Petits Filous Strawberry & Raspberry Yoghurt 4 x 100g

1. Margaret Gallagher
    January 14, 2018 / 11:49 am

Like the idea but would find the practice harder to cope with

• February 15, 2018 / 7:54 am

We’ve just finished the experiment and I thought the same, but it’s actualky been a lot easier than I thought it would be!

2. Rachel Atkinson
    January 14, 2018 / 3:15 pm

Its a great concept

• February 15, 2018 / 7:55 am

I’m so glad we took part it’s made a real difference to the way we play at home now.

3. Annabel Greaves
    January 14, 2018 / 3:16 pm

Looks like a great idea to help independence

4. ashleigh allan
    January 14, 2018 / 5:36 pm

Sounds a great idea!

• February 15, 2018 / 7:57 am

5. sharon stanley
    January 14, 2018 / 7:50 pm

It does seem a shame that kids are using more tech now than playing. We make a point of having tech free time and the girls enjoy the best of both worlds, but it is hard to get the balance when you’re working at home and want minimal distractions. I am happy to say that the younger two enjoy both tech and playing outside using sheets and pegs to make tents over my washing line and creating their own games out of household bits and bobs (when the UK weather allows it of course) but the 15 year old is long lost to her iPad, iPhone and other tech. When we were little grounding used to be a punishment but through trying to protect her by not letting her play outside has meant her missing out on the things we did. Grounding to a child now means, thank god I can go upstairs and play on my games console, text my freinds rather than actually call for them and so on. I do love watching the younger ones play independantly of course with either myself or their father nearby but you only have to drive around the area to see how deserted the streets are in comparison to our own childhoods with those well thought out gifts like bikes and scooters ending up on Gumtree after they have been outgrown having only been played with once.

• February 15, 2018 / 7:59 am

I know it’s so sad! We use to be out all the time playing in the streets. Interesting what you say about grounding. I had never thought of that and will bear in mind when that time comes!

6. January 14, 2018 / 8:12 pm

I remember coming to your blog when it was fairly new, as a source of good advice on play! This is such a good campaign.

• February 15, 2018 / 8:01 am

Oh wow! That first post really makes me cringe now but I love it because it’s such a great memory and means so much in what it’s help me create x

7. Fiona jk42
    January 14, 2018 / 8:15 pm

it’s far too easy to use technology as a babysitter to keep children occupied so you can get on with other things. When my husband & I look after our granddaughter, we try to limit screen time and do lots of other activities, such as acting out stories she likes, crafts, role playing and so on, often using quite simple homemade props.

February 15, 2018 / 9:31 pm

I totally agree it doesn’t need to be complicated at all. I am all about the homemade x

8. January 14, 2018 / 9:06 pm

This really is such an important campaign. As a teacher and a mum, you can’t underestimate the importance of truly creative play x

February 15, 2018 / 9:31 pm

I had forgotten just how beneficial it is!

9. January 14, 2018 / 9:53 pm

I’m really grateful I have a reasonable size garden. It means I can let free play happen. It’s so important especially as education is more controlled and target driven too. We need to make space for those little humans to develop!

February 15, 2018 / 9:32 pm

I am the same, we weren’t thinking about children when we brought our house. Yet our outside space is really what has made the difference to the boys x

February 15, 2018 / 9:35 pm

They are brilliant my two have always loved them

10. Lorna Ledger
    January 15, 2018 / 3:58 pm

I feel this is of course important…but I feel like it’s not a new concept? I feel like I did this growing up, and my daughter had it too, although we often think back to around 2007 when we got our first pc, she feels that almost straight away she spent less time outside or just playing….and I have to agree! My daughter was born in 2000 btw. So…if we now need to mindful aboutplaying, and also saying it’s ok for children to be free then good, and so be it….hope that all makes sense x

February 15, 2018 / 9:36 pm

I agree, but its so easily forgotten about in this hectic world we live in! x

11. Emma Evans
    January 15, 2018 / 5:50 pm

Children should always be able to express themselves through play.

February 19, 2018 / 9:15 pm

Couldn’t agree more! x

12. January 15, 2018 / 6:16 pm

I used to play in the fields all day as a child too – absolutely loved it and of course didn’t realise at the time we were ‘free playing’. This is such a great campaign!

February 19, 2018 / 9:18 pm

Ha ha I know! Its such a shame they cant do it like we use to x

13. Sarah Austin
    January 16, 2018 / 9:01 pm

Love this and think it is so important! Great campaign

February 19, 2018 / 9:18 pm

Couldn’t agree more x

14. January 17, 2018 / 6:56 am

Like you I think free play is so important. My two do like tv but so far my eldest still plays with her toys a lot. I also enjoy setting up play activities, like your small world but I always let them do what they want.

February 19, 2018 / 9:19 pm

Im the same I really should try and set up some more activities soon x

15. Tracy Nixon
    January 17, 2018 / 7:22 am

It is a great concept!

16. January 17, 2018 / 9:45 am

I think it’s been harder for my son to engage in free play since he started school too – one of the things I noticed is that he talks about his friends playing games and he wants to be like them. This campaign is a great excuse to make sure that they’re still getting lots of play too.

• February 19, 2018 / 9:51 pm

School has had a really big impact and I think it gets worse as they get older x

17. A.E. ADKINS
    January 17, 2018 / 10:10 am

Great concept, kids need some tech free time, whatever their age

18. January 17, 2018 / 10:15 am

I agree that technology gets in the way of our kid’s entertainment. It is so easy to let them use their tablets while we are busy doing something else. I must admit that I am guilty of this too. I am trying to reduce the time they use their tablets now and trying to encourage more free play. They find so many different ways to entertain themselves which is wonderful and the way they use their imagination is fantastic. I remember doing treasure hunts when I was a child. I have not done that as much with my girls but after reading this, I think I fancy doing more! 😉

• February 19, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Treasure hunts are a great idea! Will have to give that a go too – thanks

19. Susan B
    January 17, 2018 / 11:03 am

Another lovely set of pics.

I found your post to be thought-provoking. Free play needs to start young otherwise children expect parents to provide structure and claim they are bored if you don’t. I had never really thought about stifling their creativity and independence by providing structure on every play occasion and wonder why I didn’t just let them go in the garden as I did when I was a child.

I look forward to reading your next post on the subject.

• February 19, 2018 / 9:53 pm

Aww thank you. We have learnt so much in doing this campaign x

• February 19, 2018 / 9:54 pm

They are great we take them everywhere with us now!

20. January 17, 2018 / 8:36 pm

My husband is an early years educator and has always believed in the importance of free play. It’s something we try to build into our day to day routines and our daughter loves it. I try not to give her too much tech time and tend to set up whatever materials she asks for and leave her to it! It’s great for me too as I get a break!

• February 19, 2018 / 9:55 pm

I totally hadn’t thought about the break I get too! Good to know we are heading in the right direction x

21. Sarah Ann
    January 17, 2018 / 8:49 pm

This is a great campaign, free play is so important and it’s so easy for kids (as well as adults) to spend far too much time distracted by technology. I loved free play as a child, helped me develop creative skills and quite the imagination at times!

• February 19, 2018 / 9:56 pm

Couldn’t agree more! We’ve learnt so much x

22. Ruth Harwood
    January 18, 2018 / 9:04 am

Always important and good to point out xx

23. January 18, 2018 / 9:59 am

Free play is so important – builds great imagination in kids. Definitely trying to reduce scree time – sometimes easier said than done.

• February 19, 2018 / 9:57 pm

I totally agree but since starting this campaign monkey has been asking for it more x

24. January 18, 2018 / 11:00 am

I always encourage play as much as possible. My girls are happiest at beach or a empty field and it is so great to watch their little imaginations. It is amazing to see how creative they can be. Great campaign!

• February 19, 2018 / 9:58 pm

We have really enjoyed the campaign and learnt so much!

25. January 18, 2018 / 12:26 pm

Love this! I think as a parent in the modern age we can have the tendency to feel like we need to be constantly entertaining our children. That isn’t the case at all and we need to try to give them space so that they can learn from imaginative play. Getting outdoors and having adventures is part of that. Such a fab campaign.

• February 19, 2018 / 9:59 pm

We have really enjoyed the campaign and learnt so much!

26. January 18, 2018 / 3:27 pm

I’m really enjoying the posts on this campaign. Love that free play is getting some focus. We can over schedule and micro manage their activities far too much at times.

• February 19, 2018 / 10:00 pm

We have really enjoyed the campaign and learnt so much!

27. January 18, 2018 / 9:15 pm

I always let my daughter choose what she wants to play with (saves the tantrums) I offer different activities and let her choose and play how she wants, when she’s ready for me to join in she lets me know! I love watching her play and seeing her imagination develop.

• February 19, 2018 / 10:01 pm

We have really enjoyed the campaign and learnt so much!

28. January 18, 2018 / 9:20 pm

We’re big advocates of free play. My girls don’t have any tablets and the distractions that technology can bring. They choose their activities and how to amuse themselves. It good for them to learn to explore and find ways to entertain themselves x

• February 19, 2018 / 10:01 pm

I totally agree, We have really enjoyed the campaign and learnt so much!

29. paula cheadle
    January 19, 2018 / 12:50 am

I already do something very similar, by running around the park or/and the wood by us

30. January 20, 2018 / 4:26 pm

I used to roam my village without a care in the world when I was younger, building dens in the park and playing with friends. It is just not the same anymore

• February 19, 2018 / 10:02 pm

I know it makes me sad that they don’t!

31. katie w
    January 20, 2018 / 4:34 pm

this is an important campaign, def needs to be taken on board more

32. Leila Benhamida
    January 21, 2018 / 11:47 am

Free play is great. Time have changed and I try to found a balance with my children. We have more of family outdoor activity.

33. Wendy Tolhurst
    January 21, 2018 / 9:51 pm

My children have all enjoyed free play and I think it helped them become more independent. It also helped with their imagination – as parents , we are often guilty for ensuring certain items are played with in a certain way – for example, we would encourage them to use a buggy to push dolls/teddies, whereas a child may prefer to use it to transport cars in.

• February 19, 2018 / 10:03 pm

I was guilty of the same but since being involved in this campaign we have learnt so much x

34. January 21, 2018 / 10:31 pm

completely agree that free play is important – structured play and activites are as well its making sure you find the balance between the 2

• February 19, 2018 / 10:04 pm

We have really enjoyed the campaign and learnt so much!

35. sandy ralph
    January 22, 2018 / 5:18 pm

yep i agree freeplay is very important for a child

36. Elli
    January 23, 2018 / 1:30 pm

Free play is so good for kids and builds their confidence in themselves.

37. Kate Davies
    January 23, 2018 / 2:04 pm

I completely agree, free play is very important for children to develop their imagination and figure things out for themselves. When we decorated my sons room I made sure that all his toys were in tubs that he can pull out himself and so decide what he wants to play with.

• February 19, 2018 / 10:05 pm

Yes that’s a great idea, we have similar. I love watching what they choose x

38. January 24, 2018 / 9:50 am

We do free play too, although it might perhaps look a bit different for us, as our son is autistic and doesn’t do pretend play, as most kids do. I agree on the importance of offering time and opportunities to just roam and explore (even if it’s done in a more safety aware way than when we were kids…). #BloggersClubUK

• February 19, 2018 / 10:06 pm

We have really enjoyed the campaign and learnt so much!

39. January 24, 2018 / 1:07 pm

I completely agree, free play is so important for children’s growth and development.

40. January 24, 2018 / 2:30 pm

We love free play. My son is at his happiest then. All this toys are in baskets either in his room or our living room (plus a box in our bedroom as he hangs out there too sometimes) so he can pull out whatever he wants. I try and swap them around every few weeks so he has some variety and keep things fresh – plus throw in some general things like loo rolls or material samples or bottles so he can improve. He is a fan of a tablet (don’t hate me) so we try to ensure that he plays creatively as much as possible, so lots of building toys and puzzles too. #BloggerClubUK

• February 19, 2018 / 10:07 pm

We have really enjoyed the campaign and learnt so much!

41. January 24, 2018 / 3:21 pm

I do love free play – I wish I could do more of it outside but it can be quite exhausting trying to keep them safe outdoors as well as maintaining your sanity hahaha #BloggerClubUK

42. January 24, 2018 / 4:05 pm

I totally agree. Free play is so important, especially at their young age. It also helps them to discover what it is they love, and that drives our learning at home.

43. January 24, 2018 / 4:17 pm

I am an Early Years Teacher by profession and free play is very much the ethos in early years. A great post. #BloggerClubUK

44. January 24, 2018 / 5:05 pm

I am behind this 100%. As an Early Years and SEN teacher, we often push children into academics way too soon and forget the power of free play and experimentation. It’s only when children are at free play so they create and problem solve in ways that make sense to the. lovely post. #bloggerclubuk

45. January 24, 2018 / 5:13 pm

My boys love their ipads and when finished school they use them, i often find though they are in their room playing lego or building tracks and the i pads put down and play happening and lots of laughter and chatting #bloggerclubuk

46. January 24, 2018 / 8:44 pm

Big believer in free play on my blog too! So important. #bloggerclubuk

47. January 24, 2018 / 8:52 pm

This is a great campaign – I’m guilty like many parents of perhaps relying on tablets and TV a bit too much but we do try and encourage free play as well, and have lots of open ended toys for the boys to play with. #BloggerClubUK

48. January 24, 2018 / 10:08 pm

Free play is so important and is hopefully something our daughter will get a lot of as she grows. Some great pics in here too!#bloggerclubuk

49. January 25, 2018 / 1:25 am

When I ran my daycare it was all based on free play. It really is the best for young kids! #BloggerClubUK

50. January 25, 2018 / 9:35 am

I love watching the kids making up little games, especially my two year old, he’s got such a vivid imagination! Free play is really important. #BloggerClubUK

51. January 25, 2018 / 10:16 am

In an age where digital babysitters are common practice, free play is so important! Not just for younger children but for younger teens as well as they discover their own likes, dislikes and hobbies that they will often take into later life. I love this initiative 😀 My kids also love petit filous xx

#BloggerClubUK
    Shevy

February 19, 2018 / 9:43 pm

You raise a really good point about older children too – thank you x

52. January 25, 2018 / 4:12 pm

It’s definitely important. It’s good for us as parents too as it means we can switch off a little bit for a while #bloggerclubuk

February 19, 2018 / 9:43 pm

Totally I forgot all about the benefits for us too! x

53. January 25, 2018 / 9:08 pm

I think free play is really important, especially in a world where children are spending more time in front of screens, and one where often parents schedule lots of extra activities too. #BloggerClubUK

February 19, 2018 / 9:42 pm

I am trying to reduce the amount of scheduling we are doing!! x

54. January 25, 2018 / 10:12 pm

I was new to the term free play too but certainly something my children have experienced all their lives – how else are their imaginations supposed to thrive. I loved it today when my son complained when someone on the telly said she wanted to direct her children’s goals and aspirations as he feels a child should have their own and I wholeheartedly agree. Here’s to free play and learning from it. #BloggerClubUK

February 19, 2018 / 9:36 pm

Your son is very wise indeed! xx

55. Sheila Reeves
    January 26, 2018 / 6:56 pm

Hadn’t come across the term free play, but it’s what I did as a child, and what I let my two do as they were growing up – I don’t think I directed them in any of their play – I think it helps with their creativity and their problem-solving skills, used to love hearing thier chatter as to what was happening with a Duplo or later on a Lego build!

February 19, 2018 / 9:35 pm

I cant wait for my two to be old enough to play together like this x

56. Natalie Crossan
    January 27, 2018 / 12:19 am

Free play is so important, my daughter was always encouraged to roam around the beach (we’re quite lucky we live in brighton) so we’re always out and about doing something xx

February 19, 2018 / 9:33 pm

Cant beat the beach for fun, we use to live in Brighton too – its a great place to explore x

57. Kirsty Woods
    January 27, 2018 / 7:16 am

Great, back to kids being kids

58. Anthea Holloway
    January 27, 2018 / 10:30 am

I love children having the freedom to play and use their inventive and creative skills. It is a pity in these days we have to be so careful and watch them so closely.

February 19, 2018 / 9:32 pm

This campaign has really made a difference to us x

59. jane
    January 27, 2018 / 12:58 pm

And good for their physical and mental well being.

February 19, 2018 / 9:31 pm

This campaign has taught us so much x

60. January 27, 2018 / 4:38 pm

I used to think I had to be involved with every thing my kids did when they played. I was what some people call a helicopter mom, which I didn’t know was a thing at the time. But then I never go anything done and when I started going back to college, that was rough. By the time my youngest came around, I was all about the free play. Free play is great for kids to use their imaginations. Their imaginations are a great gift and they should be allowed to use it. It also frees up us parents who have dishes to wash and homework to do:) #bloggerclubuk

February 19, 2018 / 9:30 pm

Couldn’t agree more xx

61. January 28, 2018 / 9:47 pm

I’ve been wondering whether I needed to lay on back to back activities to keep my girls entertained so I like this approach. It’s also great to read that Public Health England recommends these yoghurts. #bloggerclubuk

February 19, 2018 / 9:30 pm

Letting Monkey make his own discoveries has been so interesting to watch x

62. January 30, 2018 / 11:22 am

I want my children to have more play outdoors and feel confident exploring the natural world. I do use tech to babysit when I need time to work/cook/clean but it is limited. We love Petit Filous! #bloggerclubuk

February 19, 2018 / 9:29 pm

I think thats the same for us all xx

63. January 30, 2018 / 6:25 pm

Free play is fantastic, especially when you have a safe outside space to use. It’s so wonderful to just watch children explore the world through their own eyes. Great campaign.

February 19, 2018 / 9:29 pm

We have learnt so much through this campaign

64. leanne weir
    February 1, 2018 / 2:46 pm

I love this and think it is so important

February 19, 2018 / 9:28 pm

Couldn’t agree more!

65. Abigail Cullen
    February 1, 2018 / 5:18 pm

Luving your approach to this, i think Its a great idea.

February 19, 2018 / 9:28 pm

Aww thats great thank you

66. Kayleigh Watkins
    February 1, 2018 / 6:43 pm

My children love free play too, and I love watching them exploring and enjoying themselves xxx

February 19, 2018 / 9:28 pm

I find it really fascinating to watch them! I had not idea how much Monkey would use his imagination x

67. madeline connolly
    February 2, 2018 / 3:17 pm

great child play

68. Karen Coombes
    February 3, 2018 / 12:15 pm

I also find my son reaches for tech rather than just play, although the weather hasn’t helped here lately, it’s rained pretty much all year so far!
    I could probably encourage free play more

69. Karen Coombes
    February 3, 2018 / 12:15 pm

I could probably encourage free play more

February 19, 2018 / 9:27 pm

I am really hoping that we will see some nice weather soon x

70. Bev
    February 4, 2018 / 9:56 am

So very important for the imagination.

February 19, 2018 / 9:26 pm

Couldn’t agree more!

71. ZARA
    February 5, 2018 / 10:21 pm

I think that it is fab for the imagination and exploring is key! This is very important- great post, thanks! 🙂

February 19, 2018 / 9:26 pm

72. February 8, 2018 / 10:56 am

I think technology comes in the way of free play to a large extent. It would be nice to be able to go back to days when we were younger and could play outside without any fear. I look forward to hearing about the boredom challenge.

Thanks for taking part in the campaign. Commenting on behalf of BritMums.

February 19, 2018 / 9:25 pm

Its been a wonderful campaign and has taught us so much. We are definitely fitting in more ‘play’ time because of it.

73. February 9, 2018 / 11:33 am

I love the idea of free play, and try and encourage my children to indulge in it often, but I tend to feel guilty for just “leaving them to it” and to play by themselves (and because they often end up fighting as a result!). Nevertheless there’s such value in free play that I just need to keep reminding myself to not meddle!!

February 19, 2018 / 9:24 pm

I know I really struggled but then seeing the output its really made a difference x

74. MANDY DOHERTY
    February 10, 2018 / 2:03 pm

My grandchildren love to get outdoors to play, they love treasure hunting for the pirates treasure or else they recreate their favourite shows

February 19, 2018 / 9:24 pm

These sound like great ideas you can’t beat a pirate!! x

75. Samantha O'D
    February 14, 2018 / 11:05 am

Great photos! the beach looks freezing!

February 19, 2018 / 9:23 pm

It really was!

76. Stevie
    February 14, 2018 / 12:48 pm

I’ve not heard of free play before but it’s a great idea.

February 19, 2018 / 9:22 pm

Its been a great campaign and really made a difference to us x

77. March 14, 2018 / 6:07 pm

Great concept, which I practice with my 2. I totally agree that free play is important. After all, I only had free play when I was growing up and I have lots of nice memories. Nowadays, it is harder, what with all these gadgets children have access to. My 2 enjoy the best of both worlds, although if they had a choice, I am sure they would stick to the tv and game consoles.#bloggerclubuk

78. March 21, 2018 / 1:52 pm

Free play is so important and really does develop a kid’s learning. I love to watch my kids just playing. What I have noticed is that they seem to play and enter into the wonderful world of make believe so much better when I watch them from a corner of my eye, and they think I’m not watching or listening in on their play situation!!!