The Vyne – National Trust

We have had National Trust membership for about five years ever since I was on maternity leave the first time round with Monkey. Its probably our best used membership but I have realised that we go to the same places each year. Its nice to have favourites and know what to expect when you visit. But this year I also wanted to try out some new places. With this in mind I wrote a list of 12 National Trust places we wanted to visit in 2018. One of the ones on the list was The Vyne in Hampshire.

During Easter holidays we visited the Georgian House and gardens with Laura from Dear Bear and Beany and her lovely girls. The house is undergoing restoration work and having a new roof fitted. Which means that it is covered in scaffolding and sheeting. But they are still offering timed tours for those that would like to see inside. With four children in tow we decided to leave the house for another day. The Easter Egg Hunt was much more appealing.

Like the others the hunt costs £3 with all the money going towards the National Trust. With this one you have to collect eight stamps which have been strategically placed around the grounds. The stamps are hiding in tree stumps (although you do have a map to help you locate them). Each stamp has an animal plaque which you needed to match up. The kids thought it was great fun although I would have like to have seen different stamps. It didnt take them long to find them all.

Much of the gardens were roped off because the weather had been so bad. The ground was waterlogged and too much running on the grass would have damaged the grass. I was hoping to see the tulips, but because of the amount of snow we had been treated to they still weren’t really out. I can imagine that its a lot of fun running around on the grass and having a picnic in the Summer though.

Once we finished the hunt we headed to the play area which the kids really enjoyed. Although is a complete muddy mess when we visited. Both boys got covered. Kipper more so. There are tunnels which run through a little hill and Kipper particularly liked running through these enjoying the independence. He was a fan of going down the slide too and splashing in all the mud at the bottom. Monkey and the girls found a den and relived stories of pirates. Saying that there really is only a certain amount of mud I can take. So once Kipper was covered pretty much head to toe in his suit we deiced to make a retreat for lunch.

Its worth noting that the tea rooms do not allow buggys inside. Which can be a bit of a juggling act if you are on your own since the seating area is separate to where you buy the food and drink. So you couldn’t put the baby or toddler in a high chair and then grab yourself a coffee. For this reason I will not visit again unless there is two of you (like today) or until Kipper is old enough to stay at my side. I appreciate that it means more tables can be fitted in but it does make like as a parent difficult. Of course a picnic would also solve that problem.

We had a lovely morning meeting up with Laura and exploring the mud! If you are passing theres probably enough for a couple of hours, but its not a full day visit.

Things you need to know:

• The garden is open 10am-5.00pm this time of year you can get daily opening times here on their website. The house is open between 11am and 4pm.
  • Entrance is free for National Trust members if not adults cost £13.00 with gift aid, a child £6.50 and £32.00 for a family.
  • Address –  Vyne Road, Sherborne St John, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG24 9HL

Mudpie Fridays: YouTubeTwitter | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest | LinkedIn

1. April 25, 2018 / 5:20 am

Hi, we love the National Trust but have not visited Vyne before. I shall add this to my list for this year. A shame about the tea room, picnics are a cheaper option though trying to be positive #bloggerclubuk

2. April 25, 2018 / 5:48 am

Such a shame about the tearoom. Some National Trust properties are so well geared up for children and babies and some…not so much! We were in the Lakes this weekend and visited Allan Bank at Grasmere. It was brilliant for kids! They’ve not tried to restore the house, so kids (and dogs – even muddy ones!) can roam around and explore freely. They also have a steady stream of visiting red squirrels, which were brilliant to see. Definitely worth a visit if you’re in the area! Laura x #BloggerClubUk

3. April 25, 2018 / 6:09 am

Beautiful photos! Your munchkins are super cute!

#BloggerClubUK

4. April 25, 2018 / 6:41 am

Looks like they had lots of fun. We love national trust houses. Our favourite is Belton House but will definitely have to visit Vyne. Never been before. #bloggerclubuk

5. April 25, 2018 / 7:56 am

Aww this looks like such a fun and beautiful day out! I love it now that flowers and blossom are appearing everywhere 🙂 #BloggerClubUK

6. April 25, 2018 / 10:11 am

I have never heard of this place and always good to have ideas for days out and I like that you include the important information too #BloggerClubUK

7. April 25, 2018 / 12:03 pm

Looks like a beautiful place to spend the day. 😊 #bloggerclubuk

8. April 25, 2018 / 3:36 pm

We go here at least once a year and the kids love the open spaces and the play area in particular. It’s not too far from us so we keep coming back. #BloggerClubUK

9. April 25, 2018 / 5:40 pm

We have used our National trust card loads over the years and I think they are really worth their money. I also love the fact that it doesn’t matter if you only go for a few hours, you feel it’s ok when you have a season ticket. Lovely review…I don’t know this place. I love the all-in-one suits! #bloggerclubuk

10. April 25, 2018 / 7:06 pm

We have had English Heritage membership in the past but National Trust sounds great too – think I’ll have to investigate. 🙂
    #bloggerclubuk

11. April 25, 2018 / 9:58 pm

I love places like this. Spend the day or a few hours. Amazing pictures. #bloggerclubuk

12. April 26, 2018 / 11:56 am

We love the Scottish National Trust but have not visited Vyne here before. Shame about the tea room, but thing most place like this are x

13. April 26, 2018 / 3:52 pm

What gorgeous pictures! I wish we had some fun outdoor places to visit out here! We’re in the middle of a big flat land with very little greenery and a small town with not much to do.
    #BloggerClubUK

14. April 27, 2018 / 11:52 am

I’ve been thinking about getting a National Trust membership, this post has given me a push further in that direction. Looks like a great day out was had by all the kids
    #BloggerClubUK

15. April 28, 2018 / 11:39 am

We signed up to the National Trust just after Christmas last year. I have so many places that we want to visit on our list already, and The Vyne looks brilliant.
    Photos are lovely too!

Jemma x
    #BloggerClubUK

16. April 30, 2018 / 8:06 pm

My sister lives in Basingstoke so we go past here a lot but have never been! Definitely somewhere we want to visit soon #bloggerclubuk

17. May 1, 2018 / 2:25 pm

The National Trust is great. There are some gorgeous places to visit and I love that the Easter egg hunts differ across the sites. #BloggerClubUK

18. May 3, 2018 / 7:54 am

I absolutely must join the National Trust! I used to be a student member many years ago, but it would give us so many opportunities for adventures at the weekends. #bloggerclubuk