Thomas & Friends™ Big Loader Sodor Delivery Set Review
Thomas & Friends™ Big Loader Sodor Delivery Set Review: If you are regular readers of Mudpie Fridays then you will know that the boys are big fans of Thomas The Tank Engine. In fact they have been fortunate enough to try out a number of the Thomas & Friends play sets, including Thomas & Friends™ Twisting Tornado Set, Thomas & Friends™ Super Station and Thomas & Friends™ Adventures Shark Escape. So when we were asked by TOMY to review the Thomas & Friends™ Big Loader I said yes. This is very different to any of the play sets we have tried out before because its designed to operate on its own. Transporting cargo around the track with three characters – Thomas, Percy and Terrance.
I did wonder if this would mean that the boys would get bored of it. But I need not have worried they love it and are constantly requesting to play with it. Aimed at 3+ Kipper is technically too young for it because of the small parts that the set includes. However under supervision I have no problems with him playing with it. In fact its nice for them to be able to play with a toy together.
In the box you get a number of different parts which you need to assemble. These include, Terrance, Thomas and Percy with a motorised chassis. Plus coal balls, a coal slope, loading trough, coal table, transfer ramp, switch track and a hopper. There are three reverse buttons, some stickers and instructions. Although when putting it together its easier to look at the picture on the box. It probably took about ten minutes to assemble and then a further five to add the stickers. The motorised chassis requires one AA battery which is not included. Then the fun starts!
There are some little metal pegs on the bottom of the chassis which you need to make sure are pointing downwards to keep it on the track. The characters balance above the track and move as the chassis goes under them. It starts with Percy collecting the coal balls from the hopper before delivering them to the coal slope. The chassis then goes back and picks up Thomas to leave him by the loading dock. Before collecting Terrance to collect the coal balls up and deliver them to Thomas. Once collected Thomas then delivers the cargo back to the hopper via the ramp. After which it all starts over again. The boys couldn’t help but get involved with helping out the cargo at various points on the journey. Plus Monkey thought it was very funny to send Thomas in the other direction by pressing the little levers on the side of the track
Things we love about the Thomas & Friends™ Big Loader Sodor Delivery Set:
- I like the fact that the only battery which is needed goes in the chassis. Everything else operated by levers or gravity.
- The fact that it has three characters in it is nice. Normally we would need to purchase these separately with some of the other kits we have.
- Its chunky which makes it perfect for little hands. Kipper has no problem manoeuvring Thomas or Percy. Playing win the coal balls also gives the opportunity for some fine motor play.
- For a plastic toy its good looking – the level of detail is great and the bright colours are really attractive. It does make you want to pick it up and play with it.
- The quality is what I would expect from a brand like Thomas & Friends™ pieces go together easily and click into place. The track fits together well and Monkey can pull it apart and set it up again quite easily.
- Despite its built size it fits neatly back into the box for storage.
Both boys really enjoying playing with the Thomas & Friends™ Big Loader Sodor Delivery Set which costs £29.99 and is available from all good high street toy shops and online including Smyths. I can see us getting a lot of use out of it over the coming months. But don’t just take my word for it the lovely people at TOMY have very kindly offered one of my readers the chance to win one. To enter please use the gleam application below and please note the T&Cs.
- Competition is open to residents of the UK aged 18 and over
- There is no cash alternative offered
- The winner will be drawn at random and will receive their own Thomas & Friends™ Big Loader Sodor Delivery Set
- The giveaway will close on the 7th November at midnight, the winner will be notified through Twitter
- The Winner will be asked to provide an email address and full postal address
I have some other giveaways running at the moment so please check them out in the Blog Giveaways Page above.
If you’ve liked this post please follow me on my social media channels:
I was gifted a Thomas & Friends™ Big Loader Sodor Delivery Set for the purpose of this review. All words and opinions are my own.