The importance of Vitamin D

I have been giving my boys a vitamin supplement for as long as I can remember. Kipper had a special vitamin D supplement when he was tiny because he had a dairy intolerance and moved off of my breast milk and formula earlier than I would have liked. Which meant he could not get the required amount of vitamin D from milk. Even now I continue to make sure the boys take a supplement. Especially this time of year since they are not outside as much as I would like. Preferring to play trains or watch TV in the cosiness of the lounge. In the Summer its easy as they will spend as much time as possible playing in the sun. Often asking to go out at every opportunity so I don’t need to think about it. But the Wintertime is different they need real coxing.

So why is Vitamin D important?

Vitamin D helps to regulate the amount of calcium and phosphate in the body, which are needed to keep bones, teeth and muscles healthy, it also supports the normal function of the immune system in children anadults.

Myths about Vitamin D

In a recent article Dr Sarah Jarvis, who has over 30 years’ experience in the NHS anover 26 years as a GP discussed Vitamin D. Some of the most salient points are below:

• I can get it through diet – According to experts its almost impossible for people living in the UK to get enough Vitamin D through diet alone. You can get small amounts of vitamin D from food including oily fish, red meat, egg yolks, fortified drinks, cereals and milk. However you need to eat one portion a day for this to work. What many people don’t realise that a portion is ‘6 boiled eggs’ or ’10 Rump Steaks’.
  • I will know when I am deficient – Vitamin D insufficiency and deficiency can present with no symptoms at all, though generalised muscle aches and low mood have been reported. Diagnosis is made through a blood test at your GP surgery.
  • We are not doing enough as children are developing Rickets – Rickets is a condition where minerals aren’t laid down in bony tissue and bones become soft and deformed. It was a common occurrence in the past and mostly disappeared during the early 20thcentury after foods like margarine and cereal were fortified with vitamin D. However, in recent years cases of rickets are on the rise.
  • So what the side effects are not that bad – Research says that that vitamin D deficiency weakens the immune system leading to other diseases such as respiratory infections. Not only that but Depression, breast ancolorectal cancer have all been linked to low levels of vitamin D. There is also an increased risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease according to research**
  • Its okay I have it under control – Only you can control the vitamin D levels you get throughout the year, so unless you spend a lot of time in the sun, consider a supplement

For the reasons mentioned above, we as a family are taking Vitamin D supplement Fultium Daily D3. Everyone in the UK, aged 1 and over requires 10 micrograms (μg) of vitamin D a day and 8.5-10 micrograms a day for infants under 1 year- particularly during the Winter months. Fultium Daily D3 is formulated specifically to meet the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition’s (SACN) and Public Health England’s (PHE) new recommended vitamin D guidelines.

Available in pharmacies only, in packs of 30s (RRP £3.99), 60s (RRP £7.49), 90s (RRP £10.99) and as 15ml drops (RRP £7.99). Fultium Daily D3 is free from artificial preservatives and sweeteners. The capsule gelatine is both Halal and Kosher certified and the drops are suitable for vegetarians. You can buy yours from Boots – here.

Have you been taking a Vitamin D supplement this Winter?

**http://www.prevention.com/health/vitamin-d-deficient/slide/4

This post has been written in collaboration with Fultium Daily D3, I was compensated for my time.

1. Alice Colling
    January 24, 2019 / 7:30 am

I don’t think I have really thought about vitamin D enough. Thankyou for raising my awareness.

2. Margaret Gallagher
    January 24, 2019 / 6:17 pm

Always take VIT D – seen first hand the consequences – prevention is better than cure or palliative care

3. Natalie Crossan
    January 24, 2019 / 10:56 pm

I was diagnosed as vitamin D deficient last year and since have made a more conscious effort to increase my vit D and both me and my daughter now take vit D supplements xx

4. January 25, 2019 / 11:56 am

One of my friends was diagnosed with deficiency of Vitamin D and before that, I wasn’t aware of the consequences of Vitamin D deficiency.

5. Gervin Khan
    January 25, 2019 / 12:52 pm

Such a great information about the importance of vitamin D for our body. Nowadays we need this kind of supplement for us to have enough protection from disease and sickness. Thank you for sharing this to us.

6. January 25, 2019 / 2:31 pm

Oh yes, Vitamin D is so important! Thanks for writing this informative post! I live in Sweden and there is no way to get enough Vitamin D in the winter here – I used to be sooo tired yet still have trouble sleeping & become depressed in the winter months but since I started taking Vitamin D a few years back it’s so much better.

7. January 25, 2019 / 8:11 pm

Realized how important Vit D is after I moved to Seattle, and was severely deprived of it after the first winter here. it really does make a huge difference to general mood and wellbeing.

8. January 25, 2019 / 9:12 pm

I could not say it any better. Being lactose intolerant myself I experience a lot of muscle aches, specially my knees. Getting my VD supplements always helps

9. January 26, 2019 / 3:35 am

Vitamin D is so important! This looks like a great supplement to take. I live in Upstate NY where we don’t get a whole lot of sun in the colder months. Your review is a good reminder about making sure we take our Vitamin D. Thanks for sharing – I’ll have to check this out.

10. January 26, 2019 / 4:14 am

Vitamin D is so important, especially during the cooler seasons! I take Vitamin D every day. 🙂

11. Rosey
    January 26, 2019 / 5:15 am

I’m glad you’re bringing the attention to the importance of Vitamin D. I’m always happy to get these kind of reminders. 🙂

12. January 26, 2019 / 11:44 am

We’re really lucky to have plenty of sunshine in Portugal and our son is outdoors everyday. But I still give our son vitamin supplements to ensure he’s getting what he needs.

13. lexi
    January 27, 2019 / 3:46 am

vitamin D is sooo important as well as many vitamins and minerals! its amazing how all these things come together to help us function on a day to day basis!

14. January 27, 2019 / 12:59 pm

In Scotland, the government recommendation is that children under 5 take Vitamin D all year round, and that everyone, even those aged 5 and older up to adult age, should take Vitamin from October to March. So it’s become part of our daily morning routine.

15. January 27, 2019 / 1:37 pm

I have seen effects of extra vitamins for sure. Even if they kids are outdoors a lot they aren’t always getting enough vitamin D. I also take a multi vitamin supplement and I have noticed a difference in my energy.

16. January 27, 2019 / 5:24 pm

It’s very interesting isn’t it when you start looking at what we should need but we don’t get enough of in our daily food. My children take daily mutli vits but I don’t, maybe I should do myself!

17. January 27, 2019 / 7:48 pm

I worry a lot about vitaminD deficiency as both myself and Lewis have low vitamin d levels and it left us feeling really poorly! We;’ve been using these same products and they seem to be a huge help!

18. January 27, 2019 / 10:15 pm

I just started taking vitamin D gummies – hopefully I can get my levels up!

19. January 27, 2019 / 11:54 pm

It’s true that Vitamin D is not as easy to get in required doses compared to other nutrients via diet alone. It becomes even more problematical if you go for periods during winter of not getting sufficient sunlight. Great information here to raise the awareness of this as an issue together with supplements that are available to assist.

20. silentscream
    January 28, 2019 / 8:11 am

tis is a good insight about vitd… thanks for sharing

21. Kristen Frolich
    January 28, 2019 / 11:08 am

I think people really forget how important vitamin d is! My boyfriend has a vitamin d deficiency and it really does effect his daily life.

22. January 28, 2019 / 11:38 am

I make sure my little boy has his vitamins every day which includes vitamin D. I should really take some myself though as I defiantly don’t spend that much time in the sun and I do feel the effects and tiredness from not doing so!
    Caitylis x x

23. January 28, 2019 / 11:48 am

I had no idea how important Vitamin d was! I’m going to have to look at our diets to make sure we are getting enough x

24. January 28, 2019 / 12:33 pm

Vitan D is a big thing in my country. Almost each person lacking of it and we are all advised to take it extra.

25. January 28, 2019 / 2:36 pm

So many lack the knowledge of how important vitamin D and how crucial it is out our everyday life. Thank you so much for sharing this.

26. January 28, 2019 / 7:24 pm

Thankfully, I’m sitting at a safe enough distance to say… I think Vit D is the ONLY vitamin my family and I actually get enough of. #LivingInTheMediterranean *cough*

27. January 28, 2019 / 7:36 pm

This was a good read. Vitamin D is very vital to our health, I know of a few people with Vitamin D deficiency.

28. January 28, 2019 / 9:13 pm

I was just having this conversation with a friend the other day. She said she was constantly wrecked and irritable. Starting taking VIT D and couldn’t believe the change. I’m sold!

29. January 29, 2019 / 4:11 am

I totally agree with you, the importance of Vit. D is very high in both children and adults. Thanks for the added information on this.

30. January 29, 2019 / 5:28 am

Vitamin D is so important for both children and adults. We just don’t get enough of it. Thanks for the reminder.

31. January 29, 2019 / 3:53 pm

Vitamins are definitely one of those necessities we don’t think about often.

32. Monidipa Dutta
    January 29, 2019 / 5:31 pm

Your body must have vitamin D to absorb calcium and promote bone growth. Too little vitamin D results in soft bones in children (rickets) and fragile, misshapen bones in adults (osteomalacia). You also need vitamin D for other important body functions.

33. Angie
    January 29, 2019 / 5:47 pm

Vitamin D is really important as is getting our needed daily dose. I take supplements too this time of year as I live in New England and we get very little sun during the cold weather.

34. January 29, 2019 / 9:03 pm

I have recently been told by my doctor to take a Vitamin D supplement as I am deficient. It was then changed vitamin D3 1000Iu per day which I think is quite high. I definitely feel better taking it!

35. Elizabeth O
    January 30, 2019 / 8:39 am

Absolutely Vitamin D is important for our body. You shared such a beautiful post and very important through your blog. I wasn’t aware about those capsules.

36. January 30, 2019 / 1:12 pm

So important. Vitamin D deficiencies really affect us. Thank you for raising awareness. #BloggerClubUK

37. January 30, 2019 / 1:12 pm

My health visitor told me loads and loads about the importance of Vit D when Oscar was born. I must admit though, since he has grown up a bit now I don’t give him drops anymore, I really must get back on that and make sure Luke has them too.

38. January 30, 2019 / 8:33 pm

I agree with this wholeheartedly. We don’t have enough Vit D in our bodies due to the lack of sun so I think I might look in to the supplements x #BloggerClubUK

39. Lynn Neal
    January 31, 2019 / 10:54 am

Thank you for the reminder about the importance of vitamin D, I had forgotten how essential it is!

40. January 31, 2019 / 8:18 pm

I always take a Vitamin D supplement – I have darker skin so need even more! #BloggerClubUK

41. February 1, 2019 / 4:33 pm

We have just started to take a vitamin d, its so important for good health. Loved this post

42. Tracy Nixon
    February 5, 2019 / 5:17 am

I suffer from vitamin d deficiency! Leaves me feeling so tired!