AD – We were gifted Learning Resources Coding Critter Rumble & Bumble for the purpose of this review. All words and opinions are my own.
Review Learning Resources Coding Critters: One of the brands which I have always gravitated to for toys for the boys is Learning Resources. I am a fan of toys which are educational as well as fun and with a brand like Learning Resources you know what you are getting. We have never had a bad experience with their toys. So when they contacted me to see if we would like to review their latest coding toy I of course said yes. The question is did it live up to expectations?
There are several different Coding Critters, we opted for Rumble & Bumble who are both dinosaurs. They also have a Ranger & Zip who are puppies as well as cats Scamper & Sneaker. Something for every little one. Kipper is dinosaur mad and I must admit these two are very cute. However there is a lot more to it than cuteness. I really like he fact that they are 100% screen free. So many toys now need an app to run along side but the Coding Critters do not. Ideal for little people. Designed to teach early STEM techniques through simple coding techniques.
What do you get in the box – Learning Resources Coding Critters
Set up is really easy. All you need to do is to pop three AAA batteries in Rumble.
- Full colour storybook
- 10 Coding paw prints,
- 2 Cardboard playset decorations,
- Playset for coding games including slide, boulder, cave
- Multilingual quick start guide.
Aimed at children aged four and over I was wondering if it would be a little too advanced for Kipper. But he couldn’t wait to get stuck in. The story book works really well at building a story to help you get to know your character. Plus there are various different coding activities built into the story itself. Each leads to Kipper setting up a challenge for Rumble to complete. Going through the book you use all the pieces of the play set including sending Bumble down the slide. Before catching him with Rumble’s magnet nose.
Rumble works by using the key pad on his back and the arrows. It is possible to program up to thirty instructions at anyone time which is more than enough for Kippers age group. I like that the go button also cancels out the instructions which makes him even simpler to use.
Things we love
- I really like the story concept which helps bring coding to life for younger ones
- Not only does it not need an app. It also means that there is no requirement for blue tooth or wifi either. Which makes it totally transportable for our travels.
- As well as the coding element if you press Rumble’s nose then he will turn into play mode. In this mode Kipper can pet him and feed him. He will also sing and do a little dance. This element means that Kipper can play on his own with Rumble when needed. Which he loves doing
- Good quality, bright colours and strong plastics exactly what I have come to expect from Learning Resources.
We have had lots of fun with Rumble & Bumble already and can see the play set becoming a firm favourite in our house. Kipper loves him and takes him to bed with him every night at the moment. The lovely people at Learning Resources have offered my readers the chance to win one for themselves worth £40. To enter please use the Gleam application below and please note the T&Cs.
- Competition is open to residents of the UK aged 18 and over
- There is no cash alternative offered
- One winner will be drawn at random and will receive their own Rumble & Bumble Coding Critters set
- The giveaway will close on the 18th September at midnight, the winner will be notified through Twitter
- The Winners will be asked to provide a full postal address
I have some other giveaways running at the moment so please check them out in the Blog Giveaways Page above.
If you’ve liked this post please follow me on my social media channels: