AD – I was gifted the jewellery featured in this post, all words and opinions are my own.
Hersey & Son Zodiac Pendant Review – I am always on the look out for jewellery that is unique and personal. Not just for myself but personalised jewellery is my go to for gifts for friends and family. So when Hersey & Son got in contact and asked if I would like to review their new zodiac pendants I of course said yes. If you have not come across Hersey & Son before, they are one of the few remaining traditional silversmiths in the UK. A father and son business which has been making jewellery in the UK since 1955.
The business was established in 1971 by Michael Hersey. Previous to this he had served 16 years as a silver spinner in Soho and Clerkenwell. Starting as an apprentice at William Comyn’s workshop in 1955. His son, Stewart, joined him in 1981 after training as a silversmith. The company has expanded into a friendly bunch of silver spinners, silversmiths, polishers and engravers. Knowing the business has a long history and lots of experience is reassuring especially when making a purchase online.
One of the things I really liked about the range is the ability to build your own necklace. It is possible to choose from all the different zodiac signs, birth stones, initials along with lockets and shaped pendants. All combinations are possible meaning you can make it totally personal and that its unlikely anyone else will choose exactly the same.
I opted to receive my own star sign – the Sterling Silver Cancer Pendant, along with a Birth Stone Pendant for each of the boys. Combining it with the large Silver Round Locket. Both the zodiac pendants and the lockets can be engraved. I opted to have the boys initials on the front of the locket. Because the locket is large I also chose a longer chain which is 20-22 inches. A longer version is also available but made in a heavier gauge to ensure its strong enough, this is up to 33 inches.
Engraving is simple and can also be done all online. The maximum number of characters you can choose is 25. There are ten different fonts to choose from and I like the way they show you what these are when you click on them. Once ordered the necklace arrived in under five days. Plus if your order is over £50 then delivery is free.
Hersey & Sons Zodiac Pendant – First Impressions
My first impressions of the selection were very good. First of all you can not fault the presentation it arrived beautifully packaged in a signature Hersey Silversmiths grey presentation box. The pendants were covered in tissue paper and there was also a large polishing cloth included. Lovingly polished the pendants gleamed. The engraving was precise with no faults and the locket beautifully smooth and weighty. The zodiac pendant looked exactly as it did online with the attention to detail is amazing. The two birth sone charms are very dainty and add the colour I wanted to the necklace. I have loved wearing it and have had many comments about its beauty.
Hersey & Sons Zodiac Pendant – Things I love
Apart from the beauty of the necklace there are some other things I particularly like about the set.
- The chain is very clever. As it is sized between 20-22 inches which means I can choose which length I would like to wear it. There is a larger circle of silver to fasten the necklace at each point. This means I can vary it depending on what I am wearing. Its a great idea and not something I have seen before.
- Hersey & Son are Members of the National Association of Jewellers, so you know you are purchasing from a genuine company.
- Their pieces are hallmarked by the London Assay Office you can find out more on their website
- The website is very easy to navigate, being clean and uncomplicated. Plus it is nice to see that delivery is free when you spend over £50.
- The fact that many of their items can be engraved allowing you to truly personalise a gift or cement a memory.
- There is lots of choice on the website including gifts for children and homeware. So you are bound to find something to suit your requirements.
I really love my new necklace and charm set and have been wearing it a lot. If you would like to purchase your own then you can get 10% off your first order by signing up to their website. They are also offering one of readers the chance to win £60 to spend on their website which would be enough to purchase a zodiac pendant of choice along with a birthstone charm or two initial charms. To enter please use the Gleam application below and please note the T&Cs. Good luck.
- Competition is open to residents of the UK aged 18
- There is no cash alternative offered
- The winner will be drawn at random and will receive £60 voucher to spend with Hersey & Son
- The giveaway will close on the 6th of October at midnight, the winner will be notified through Twitter
- The Winner will be asked to provide an email address
I have some other giveaways running at the moment so please check them out in the Blog Giveaways Page above.