Rocket Stained Glass Effect Decorations

I was truly delighted when our first ever package from Baker Ross arrived last week. One of the kits we were set was a Rocket Stained Glass Effect Decoration Kit. Having never used any of Baker Ross’s products before we couldn’t wait to try it out, so I laid out the below invitation to create for Monkey for when he got home from nursery. I have been laying out invitations a couple of times a week, however sometimes with work pressures it can be difficult to find time – this is when a craft kit can really help!

Baker Ross - Rocket Stained Glass Effect Decoration Kit

The kit contains

• 6 squares of cellophane in each colour – red, yellow, green, blue, pink and purple
  • 18 rocket die cuts enough to make six rockets, 2 of each design
  • 6 ribbons for hanging

In addition you will need

• PVA glue, applicator and tray
  • Scissors

Monkey quickly went about cutting the cellophane. He has just turned three so this is a perfect opportunity to practice his scissor skills. Why is it important to practice scissor skills? Well from the research I have done practising cutting can have the following benefits

• Helps build hand eye coordination
  • Develops bilateral coordination – i.e. using both sides of the body, one hand for cutting and the other for holding the piece of paper/material which is being cut
  • Develops fine motor skills – which will ultimately help get your child ready for writing. I will be writing about fine motor skills in more depth with another Baker Ross kit I will be reviewing soon.

Baker Ross - Rocket Stained Glass Effect Decoration KitBaker Ross - Rocket Stained Glass Effect Decoration KitMonkey found cutting the cellophane quite difficult unless I held it for him but he had no issues with the gluing.

I have always been put off by craft kits as inevitably there is not enough material to complete the project. In this kit there was plenty of cellophane to finish the rockets, we had only used about a quarter in making Baker Ross - Rocket Stained Glass Effect Decoration Kitthree rockets. Although I had to negotiate with Monkey about having a completely blue rocket (blue is his favourite colour)! The card is substantial and true black in colour.

He also had fun popping out the die cut bits from the rockets. Once the cellophane is attached you place the matching die cut over the top and then trim around it. Monkey did attempt the trimming but I did the majority of it.

Baker Ross - Rocket Stained Glass Effect Decoration Kit

It took us about 40 minutes to make three rockets one of each type, I was quite surprised as Monkey would not normally stick at a craft project for much longer than about 20 minutes.

Baker Ross - Rocket Stained Glass Effect Decoration Kit

It also gave us the opportunity to talk about some of the different shapes in the rockets – circles, triangles, rectangles and stars. He was also interested in the colours and we played with the different cellphones looking through them and seeing the effect on the room. Before combining them to see what colours we could create – our first attempt at mixing colours..

Baker Ross - Rocket Stained Glass Effect Decoration Kit  Baker Ross - Rocket Stained Glass Effect Decoration Kit

I really like this set and would happily recommend it to my friends, it turned out to be so much more than a craft kit! Thank you Baker Ross, we now have some lovely rockets now in Monkey’s room – we are saving the other three for Bonfire Night!

Baker Ross - Rocket Stained Glass Effect Decoration Kit

The kit retails at £3.96 and you can find it here on the Baker Ross website.

Mudpie xx

I was sent the Rocket Stained Glass Effect Decorations Craft Kit for the purpose of a review, all opinions are my own.

LarabeeUK
Family Fever
Everything Mummy

1. August 17, 2015 / 10:40 pm

Love those rockets! I know what you mean about craft sets, we picked some up at Christmas because I had a gift voucher about to expire and there was nothing I wanted in the shop, but of the six different sets I bought none were substantial enough to end up with a decent product. I followed your link to the Baker Ross website. I’d assumed it would be much more expensive so was pleasantly surprised at the value for money. I’ll keep it in mind when little one’s birthday comes around soon.

• August 19, 2015 / 5:28 pm

I was really surprised by how reasonably priced their craft materials are! Thank you for stopping by xx

2. August 18, 2015 / 7:58 am

Love these! Such a great activity from Baker Ross as always. We’ve been busy making things from our box of goodies too!

Thanks for linking to #toddlerapprovedtuesday x

• August 19, 2015 / 5:31 pm

Ooo look forward to reading all about it x

3. August 18, 2015 / 8:57 am

My biggest 2 love making stained glass decorations, this is a lovely little kit! Thanks for linking up with #TriedTested

4. August 18, 2015 / 6:21 pm

Ohh I love this!! My daughter would be thrilled with a project like this! I love how you incorporated a lesson on shapes, too. Great review! Xx

• August 19, 2015 / 5:47 pm

Aw thank you, I was really impressed with it! Thank you for stopping by x

5. August 18, 2015 / 8:44 pm

Oh these look fab. We have them too. I might try it out tomorrow. Don’t they look good on the windows?

• August 19, 2015 / 5:52 pm

They do indeed my photo doesn’t do them justice! Hope you have as much fun as we did 🙂 x

6. August 18, 2015 / 9:10 pm

The rockets look awesome! What a great set – lovely review! Thanks for sharing x #ToddlerApprovedTuesday

7. August 19, 2015 / 5:58 am

Love those rockets and what a great way to help learn about colours and practice scissor skills. Sounds like the kits are good value for money too.

8. Colette B
    August 19, 2015 / 9:00 am

Oh they’re gorgeous! They’d look beautiful on our playroom doors, I’m off to put in an order as we speak!
    Thanks for sharing your review on #TriedTested this week x

• August 19, 2015 / 6:20 pm

Aw glad you like them they’ve got some great kits – thank you for hosting x

9. August 19, 2015 / 9:12 pm

This is such a great little craft pack and what a fab price! Monkey looks like he really concentrating, bless him. I am off to check out Baker Ross’s website,
    Becky-LittleOandme
    #Kidscorner

10. August 20, 2015 / 12:15 pm

These looks awesome! Ethan has shown little interest in Rockets and Space, so I think this will definitely zoom his enthusiasm! (no pun intended there) 😉 Thank you for sharing. #KidsCorner

• August 20, 2015 / 9:35 pm

Ha ha 🙂 there’s a book you can get called zoom zoom which may go down well too! Thank you for stopping by xx

11. Angela Milnes
    August 20, 2015 / 8:59 pm

This is a cool activity idea! Monkey is so lucky to have a mummy like you!

Angela xx

• August 20, 2015 / 9:32 pm

Aw thank you honey and thanks for stopping by xx

12. August 22, 2015 / 6:49 pm

These are fab so colourful – love baker ross products amazing for the little ones aren’t they! #kidscorner

• August 25, 2015 / 7:54 am

I had never come across them before starting to blog but now recommending them to all my friends! Xx

13. Katy (What Katy Said)
    August 24, 2015 / 7:41 pm

We love Baker Ross. These look like great fun!! Thank you for sharing in #KidsCorner x

14. August 31, 2015 / 9:36 pm

Let their imagination soar! Stained glass effect rockets for children to make and hang.