Creating an Electronic Journal for your Child

photoCreating an electronic journal for your child can be done in a number of ways, however a close friend of mine (Scrummy Mummy Maternity) suggested setting one up as an email account. It sounded like fab idea but up until Monkey’s third Birthday I hadn’t really given any more thought to it.

I am now kicking myself a little bit, as the same friends little girl sent Monkey a video Birthday message. It was so cute and Monkey kept asking for me to play it over and over again! Its very special to him. So what do I do with it now? Well if I had set up an email account for him then I could send it onto his account. Unfortunately I didn’t, if I had, by now I would have three years of documents and messages saved for him. So on the way home from work on Monday I decided it was time to do just that. I also got to thinking about some of this things which could be included

• Email from Mummy & Daddy explaining why we have set the account up
  • Videos of Monkey and video messages we have been sent
  • Photos, photos, photos, in Monkeys first year I took the 365 day challenge which would have been perfect
  • Blog posts of the things we have got up to and places we have been
  • Nursery newsletters
  • Online entries from the nursery’s tapestry system
  • Monkey’s little sayings
  • Important invites and ticket confirmations
  • Notes around milestones
  • Fashion, fads and news paper articles
  • Club membership details and achievements
  • Scanned school reports
  • Ancestry details
  • Completed questionnaires and interviews – like the one I use for Monkeys Birthday here
  • Messages from loved ones included scanned versions of hand written notes
  • Other key milestones

I would love to hear if anyone has any other ideas which could be included?

Mudpie xx

Mums' Days
what katy said

1. pottymouthedmummy
    July 14, 2015 / 7:09 am

This is such a wonderful idea. I remember seeing a Google advert when a dad had done the same for his daughter and I thought then, how beautiful. I wish I had done this too xx

• July 15, 2015 / 7:43 pm

Ooo will have to try and find the advert for more ideas. Thank you for stopping by x

2. Emily | Girl in the Apple Wood
    July 14, 2015 / 8:55 am

We’ve done this as well, and will be giving the details to family members so they can send emails too (how much they’re looking forward to seeing us, for example).

However, we’ve also created a memories box too – with hospital wristbands / first baby grow / cards. I don’t want those to get lost either 🙂 #TwinklyTuesday x

• July 15, 2015 / 7:53 pm

Good idea re the family members! I’m a little obsessed with keeping things – think I am driving hubby mad! lol!! Xx

• July 15, 2015 / 7:59 pm

Thanks for stopping by, glad you liked the idea 😀 xx

3. July 14, 2015 / 9:19 am

I have an email account set up for Baby Z and I email updates every couple of months. I hope I can carry on with it until he perhaps reaches his teens, and I can’t wait for him to read them all back! Great post, and better to start late than never! #twinklytuesday

• July 15, 2015 / 7:59 pm

Ah thanks hon 🙂 I sure he will love it xx

4. July 14, 2015 / 3:42 pm

I wish I had done this too but in a way, it’s what I use my blog for. Aside from that, my husband and I will write proper handwritten letters to Jasmine on the night before each birthday. We seal them up and put them in her memory box for her to open at a yet-to-be-determined date in the future. 🙂

#twinklytuesday

• July 15, 2015 / 8:10 pm

Ah what a lovely idea – there’s something to be said about hand written things 🙂 x

5. July 14, 2015 / 5:57 pm

Visiting from Twinkly Tuesday

This is such a great idea, I’d love to do this for Sophie. Would you write emails of what’s been happening to Monkey? I’m trying to think of how would I use an email address to document things for Sophie.

liz @ sundays with sophie

• July 15, 2015 / 8:12 pm

Yes I think so – he was saying some pretty funny stuff on the way home from nursery tonight which I want to record – to be honest if I wasn’t driving I could probably have recorded him saying it! Thanks for stopping by

6. travelingchristie
    July 14, 2015 / 7:51 pm

This is a lovely idea, I love the emails how wonderful would it be to stumble across emails from your parents one day xx

7. 4128miles
    July 14, 2015 / 8:10 pm

What a lovely idea. I heard about someone doing something similar a while back and typically I forgot all about it! It would have been lovely for our little man. Damn it! #twinklytuesday

• July 15, 2015 / 8:15 pm

Better late than never right 🙂 thanks for stopping by x

8. July 14, 2015 / 8:43 pm

What a lovely idea!! My blog is my online journal — I began it for my boys and I’m still writing it for them. I LOVE the idea of a separate thing though — a private digital box to keep all these virtual treasures in! Brilliant! 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday — hope to see you again next week! x

Caro | http://www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk

• July 15, 2015 / 8:21 pm

Thank you so much for hosting 🙂 will be back next week xx

9. July 16, 2015 / 11:34 am

Electronic journal is a brilliant idea. It’s always nice to document great things especially milestones of children.

10. littleoandme
    July 17, 2015 / 10:18 am

This is such a fab idea. I would love to start something like this for Oliver. Thanks for sharing!
    Becky xx

11. August 12, 2015 / 10:25 am

I love this idea – what a great way of keeping an electronic journal. I have a separate private blog which includes letters to my children and photos of all those little milestones which they can look back on and I also have paper journals for them both where I write monthly letters to each of them. The letters are then also put on the blog so they have an electronic copy of it as well as a handwritten one.

• August 14, 2015 / 5:38 am

Love the idea of a hand written note each month what a very special keepsake, not sure I would have the time to maintain two blogs! How do you do it! Thank you for stopping by x

12. August 12, 2015 / 11:17 am

What a lovely idea, I’m sure he will love looking back at this when he’s older.

13. August 14, 2015 / 3:57 pm

What a lovely idea! I have to say… I am taking my hat off to you with the scanning of the school reports. There are so much already just on nursery reports. I am like… they do so much at nursery! Eyes Wide! lol! So my blog is my way of keeping their journal with me. The nursery report, I think I will have it as a keepsake, treasured in his bedroom or later in the attic. Would be lovely to hear what they have to say when they get older isn’t it. 😉 x #Kidscornor

• August 15, 2015 / 6:37 pm

Our nursery makes it easy sending a newsletter each week by email! Lol. Lovely that your blog is your journal ?. I think I will probably get – awwww mum why did you feel it necessary to keep my 3rd birthday cards! Xx

14. Katy (What Katy Said)
    August 18, 2015 / 6:02 pm

I have literally just been thinking about this yesterday!! I set up emails a while back but havent done anything witg them – time to get organised!! Thanks for sharing in #KidsCorner x

15. August 20, 2015 / 9:53 am

I LOVE this idea! Really wish I had done this when my son was born (he’s 2.5 now) x

#alittlebitofeverything

• August 20, 2015 / 9:34 pm

It’s never too late to start – thank you for stopping by xx

16. August 22, 2015 / 11:01 pm

This is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing and for linking up with #Alittlebitofeverything! Have a great weekend!

• August 30, 2015 / 1:04 pm