Ladybird Number Matching Game

I know we are looking for quick activities which don’t take a long time to set up. So honestly, this did take sometime to put together. However if you are under time constraints then you could easily replicate it with coloured card and get the same result. Sewing is my stress therapy, I use it to unwind in front of the telly, so all in all it probably took me a month to complete, spending a few hours here and there.

I used a machine to sew the leaves, each has a piece of wadding inside and I also machine sewed a vein down the centre. The numbers are felt and sewn on with blanket stitch by hand. I used a darker green thread to make them stand out.

IMG_7800

The ladybirds are actually wooden blanks which I coloured with Sharpies and then coated in Modge Podge, you could use pebbles instead if you wanted to make it more tactile. However if you are after wooden blanks then the ones I used can be found here.

IMG_7802

The game is to match the number of ladybird spots with the numbers on the leaves. Monkey can easily count to 12 but can not ‘read’ numbers so I hoped help him to start to recognise them. Recently he has requested that we start to use dice with the game as well, although using two means that you never get to match the number 1!

IMG_7839

This is also a great one to make into a busy bag for use when out and about (minus the dice unless you want to be climbing under tables to find them) and we have used it for entertainment in restaurants.

Alternatively if you decided to make these from card instead of fabric and wood then you could get your little one to draw on the spots themselves, bringing  a visual dimension to counting.

1. October 29, 2015 / 9:00 am

These are absolutely gorgeous! I know my crafting skills mean the sewing and painting is probably best left to someone else, but I think even I can manage card – my daughter’s pretty good with numbers under 10 but we definitely need some practice at recognising larger ones so I wonder if I can adapt it (or have VERY spotty ladybirds).

• November 2, 2015 / 10:12 pm

Why not!! Sounds like a great idea to me the more spots the better xx

2. Chris (from Besties Sharing Bites)
    October 29, 2015 / 2:52 pm

What a very creative idea! I can sew a bit, but not as good as you. Those leaves and ladybugs are beautiful, Monkey seems to like playing with them. Hope it also helps his counting.

3. Jane Duckworth
    October 29, 2015 / 4:18 pm

How amazingly clever you are to dream up such a super sweet game for your little darling! Those lady bugs are adorable. 🙂

• Jane Duckworth
        November 2, 2015 / 10:16 pm

You are most welcome! ?

4. October 29, 2015 / 8:05 pm

Aw such a cute idea, they look fab! Sienna learns visually as well 🙂 x

5. Michelle Murray
    October 29, 2015 / 8:57 pm

wow! this is amazing and very creative too. I am definitely going to pinch this idea (hope thats okay) for our nursery. The kids will love getting involved both making and playing

• November 2, 2015 / 10:17 pm

That’s great 🙂 would love to know how you get on xx

6. October 29, 2015 / 8:59 pm

I love this idea. So simple, but they look so pretty in fabric. N’s really lazy when it comes to numbers, so it would probably help him.

• November 2, 2015 / 10:17 pm

I’m sure it’s a boy thing!! Monkeys the same xx

7. Becky, Cuddle Fairy
    October 29, 2015 / 9:31 pm

This is such a clever idea – I’m really impressed! It’s fun & also has so much learning involved. You made a lovely job of it. x

8. Zena's Suitcase
    October 30, 2015 / 2:51 pm

This is such a cute idea. My daughter would really enjoy playing this as she is all about numbers at the moment. I might just have to make the ladybirds cos they are too cute