Superworm Trail at Bedgebury Pinetum (Kent)

DSC01347

I wasn’t sure if we were going to make it today or not, as the weather forecast was looking pretty rubbish but I am sooo glad we did. We went for the Superworm trail but discovered so much more. If you are looking for something to do this coming weekend or up to October – when the trail finishes, I would highly recommend checking it out. You can find out if there are other trails closer to you here… as they are all over the UK, and also sign up to receive activity sheets and special offers here.

The new cafe and information centre were only finished just before Easter so it all feels really nice and new. This was our first point of call, we took a picnic and sat by the pond just in front of it – I was struck by how peaceful it was – with the sun shining if felt like we were in our own little biosphere! The have a well stocked cafe with healthy kid options as well as a wide range of treats and soft drinks, and a microwave. The ducks on the pond were very tame and provided a source of fascination for Monkey who spent some time pondering if it was as easy to pick up a duck as a chicken. (He’s been learning at nursery). Don’t worry I didn’t let him test his theory on the poor un-expecting ducks!

DSC01350

We picked up an activity pack from the information centre which included a mini version (full story) of the book – a handy size for pre-schoolers. An activity leaflet and a piece of string to make your own Superworm out of leaves and cones. It cost £3,50 and also came with a couple of Gruffalo stickers.

The trail started on a mild hill which had lovely cherry blossom on either side. For those of you with buggies the majority of the trail is hard standing and where it is a little boggy they have put bark chippings down. There are ten stopping points and plenty of  ‘this way’ signs so Monkey navigated all by himself.

Around half way through you come across a wonderful play area. Its like one huge sandpit with super fine sand. There are two wooden pirate ships with slides, nets, swings, ride ons  and wooden fish & crocodiles to climb all over. There were also wooden gangways which ran across a boggy area. Being a Friday is was really quiet too with the sand and sun you would be forgiven for thinking you were no longer in the UK. There are also plenty of picnic tables, no toilets though so you are probably best using the ones by the cafe before starting. We (Nannie & I)  had trouble convincing him to move onto the rest of the trail…

DSC01358

DSC01364

As we worked our way round we came across various other little hidden gems mainly made out of wood. Like the one below:

DSC01372

I also like the way which they tied certain play equipment into the story

DSC01381         DSC01380

DSC01388

The trail is around one kilometre, by the end Monkey was on my shoulders – apparently I am not very good at taking photos while balancing an almost three year old…

There is also an added surprise for all those Gruffalo fans out there, they still have the 6ft tall wood carving from when they did the Gruffalo trail previously. Its in a bit of a clearing so you could easily picnic around it. Its also marked on a map as a brown statute and its about a 5 minute walk directly behind the play area/go ape kiosk  in a straight line.

DSC01395

For older kids they also have the Go Ape, we will definitely be going back at a point in the future to explore more as we didn’t even get to see the other half of the map – including the walled garden. If you do decide to take a trip I hope you have as fab a time as we did.

Mudpie xx

1. June 6, 2015 / 7:55 pm

Woweee! It sounds like such a great day out! Check out that Sandpit/activity play area! Looks like a great adventure trail #CountryKids

• June 6, 2015 / 9:21 pm

Monkey still talks about it now so would definitely recommend – thanks for stopping by xx

2. Coombe Mill
    June 8, 2015 / 12:28 pm

This looks like a fab adventure trail, kids love the superworm story so this is a fab way to get them enjoying the fresh air. Monkey looks like he’s having a fab time exploring all the different play areas, I’m sure he’ll be keen to go back again to have some more fun! Thanks for linking up with me on Country Kids.

3. July 6, 2015 / 11:59 am

How super fun is that?! I love the way it engages kids from different angles – the activity pack, the toys to climb on, etc. Great spot!

4. pottymouthedmummy
    July 6, 2015 / 12:14 pm

Oh what a wonderful idea! We’ve only just read Super Worm but my little man adores it so will add this to our list of weekend adventure ideas!

5. mytravelmonkey
    July 6, 2015 / 3:57 pm

I do love these trails. I’ve yet to do the Superworm one, but we did The Gruffalo last year and the Forestry Commission really know how to make it fun – from the trails to the playgrounds. I really want to do the Go Ape when Monkey is older. Looks like you had a grea day out and glad the weather held out for you! Thanks for linking up with #MondayEscapes

6. July 7, 2015 / 8:18 am

Looks lovely – I think these trails are a great idea, and perfect for getting kids into the woods. We missed the Gruffalo Trail last year but did Superworm near us a few months ago (and the Gruffalo himself was still there). #mondayescapes

• July 7, 2015 / 8:29 pm

I would really like to try the room on the broom one but Unfortantely it’s

• July 7, 2015 / 8:30 pm

(Oops) too far away from us, hoping the forestry commission might do one nearer to home soon 🙂

7. November 7, 2015 / 9:03 am

What a great play area! We enjoyed the Superworm Trail when we did it earlier in the year.

8. Lisa (Travel Loving Family)
    November 7, 2015 / 10:20 am

This sounds great! My boys are big Superworm fans too 🙂

9. You Baby Me Mummy (@YouBabyMeMummy)
    November 7, 2015 / 5:14 pm

Wow this looks incredible! Such a wonderful adventure for the little ones. I wish we were close x

10. amytreasure
    November 9, 2015 / 8:33 am

This looks amazing, I don’t think it is far from us either I’m going to investigate as know Rose would love this x

11. November 9, 2015 / 11:53 am

Oh I love bedgebury! We live nearby and often go there, Father Christmas is a good visit there too … he is always in a very generous mood when he visits bedgbury and gives out very nice gifts!
    Lovely post
    Anna x

12. .Sara. (@OoSerzoO)
    November 9, 2015 / 4:29 pm

I love trails so much, as do my children! The pirate ships looks epic! Those spiders webs looks awesome, too. I like the fact there are hidden objects, so much more than just a trail! And don’t worry, I can’t take photos while balancing a child on my shoulders, either! Oh how I remember those days. Also LOVE the Gruffalo.

13. November 9, 2015 / 4:43 pm

This looks like such a great day! I really want to go on a gruffalo trail but doubt Taylor will get anything out of it at 10 months old. My only worry is it won’t be running by the time he’s old enough! Xx