Quick, Easy & Healthy Tomato Risotto with Quorn Crispy Nuggets

Most days we don’t pick the kids up until close to six. This means I am constantly on the look out for meal ideas which are quick to prepare, simple to put together and healthy for the kids. Both boys will happily eat rice until it comes out of their ears. So I naturally gravitate towards rice dishes. Yet they can get a bit boring which is why this dish is such a hit. The sweetness of the cherry tomatoes with the Quorn Crispy Nuggets goes really well together and its all ready in thirty minutes.

I particularly like giving the boys Quorn Crispy Nuggets because the are high in fibre, high in protein and low in saturated fat. Plus they live in the freezer so they are super convenient, especially when I am running late from the school run. As a juggling working mum it means I have one less thing to worry about – giving the boys quick and healthy simple meals.

Time to cook – 30 minutes (including 15 minutes for Quorn Crispy Nuggets)

Serves – 8

Ingredients – Quick, Easy & Healthy Tomato Risotto with Quorn Crispy Nuggets

• 1 packet of Quorn Crispy Nuggets
  • Two small red onions or one big one
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 500g of Passata
  • 500g of Risotto Rice
  • 500g of cherry tomatoes
  • Dried Italian Herbs to taste
  • Vegetable stock
  • 2 tablespoon of olive oil
  • Pepper to season
  • Boiling water
  • Green Salad & Grated Mozzarella to Serve

Method – Quick, Easy & Healthy Tomato Risotto with Quorn Crispy Nuggets

• Pre heat the over to 180 degrees (fan)
  • Drizzle the cherry tomatoes with one tablespoon of olive oil and place into the oven for 10 minutes
  • Dice the onions and garlic cloves and add to the pan with a tablespoon of olive oil, allow to soften
  • Add two teaspoons of vegetable stock, Italian herbs and pepper to the pan and stir before adding the rice
  • Stir the rice until it becomes translucent and add boiling water to cover.

• Once this has been absorbed remove the tomatoes out of the oven and add to the risotto before adding half of the passata
  • Cover and allow to cook for 15 minutes, checking occasionally incase more liquid is required. At this point you can add more water or the rest of the passata.

• At the same time turn the oven up to 200 degrees and pop the Quoin Crispy Nuggets into the oven for 15 minutes.
  • Once the Quorn Crispy Nuggets are ready serve along side the risotto or stir through.
  • Serve with with a green salad sprinkled with the grated mozzarella.

Quorn Crispy Nuggets are a massive hit with the boys. Both of them asking for more. As for me an empty plate and full tummies means a happy mummy. They have become a firm favourite in our household and make meal times simple, easy and healthy.

If you would like to see you can watch the recipe here:

Mudpie Fridays: YouTubeTwitter | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest | LinkedIn

This post is written in collaboration with Quorn and Mumsnet, I have been compensated for my time.

1. Michelle Sykes
    July 18, 2018 / 7:16 pm

This risotto looks so tasty I am sure my kids will love it

2. July 18, 2018 / 10:23 pm

We rarely make risotto, but I’m loving the sound of this tomato one. I’ll have to give it a try!

3. Helen
    July 19, 2018 / 5:11 am

As a vegetarian I eat a lot of Quorn products and these chicken style nuggets are one of my favourites! I’d never thought of pairing them with a risotto though 🙂

4. Margaret Gallagher
    July 19, 2018 / 7:12 am

Easy and delicious – its one of our favourites too on a busy school day for tea

5. July 19, 2018 / 8:15 am

Love the sound of this and the fact you have used Quorn nuggets which I didn’t realise existed! We are trying to eat less meat so I’ll have to look out for them.

6. July 19, 2018 / 9:58 am

This recipe looks fab. We all love risotto in our house but I always feel it needs a little crunch. I try and keep it as a vegan dinner and had never thought of getting Quorn bites before. Simple and genius!

7. July 19, 2018 / 11:47 am

Last autumn we got really into our risottos, I’d always put off making them because I thought they were tricky, but actually they’re so easy. We will have to give this one a go when the weather cools down a bit. I’m a veggie and I really love the Quorn ranges, the nuggets are pretty tasty!

8. July 19, 2018 / 1:14 pm

Even though we’re not vegetarians we love using Quorn products and often get stuck in a rut of what meals to cook so this post has come at the right time for my summer holiday meal planning

9. July 19, 2018 / 8:21 pm

I’ve not tried giving my boys risotto, but it’s a great idea. And I’d never heard of Quorn nuggets; what a fab alternative to chicken nuggets! Thanks for sharing x

10. July 19, 2018 / 9:45 pm

We eat risotto but I’ve never made a tomato one. I’m sure my girls would like it so will have to give it a try

11. July 20, 2018 / 5:50 am

Wow, this looks really yummy. I have heard so much good stuff about Quorn products. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe, I can’t wait to try it xx

12. July 20, 2018 / 10:13 am

Yum! I love risotto but have never made a tomato one- totally trying this!

13. July 20, 2018 / 5:46 pm

My boys love rice too – including my husband! I didn’t actually know Quorn did nuggets – my boys love chicken nuggets so this would be a great alternative.

14. July 20, 2018 / 9:02 pm

We love risotto and this sounds perfect for a mid-week family meal that everyone would relish!

15. July 20, 2018 / 10:42 pm

Risotto goes well with most items. This looks so good that it is making me hungry right now.

John M

16. July 21, 2018 / 11:22 am

Ah, we love Quorn too! The crispy nuggets are delicious! This sounds like a yummy recipe 🙂

17. July 22, 2018 / 8:25 am

I love quick and easy recipes like these. My son loves rice too so I’m sure the risotto would be eaten. I’m just not sure if we can get quorn products here, I must check.

18. Samantha O'D
    July 22, 2018 / 7:33 pm

Looks tasty, i am always looking for something quick and easy

19. July 23, 2018 / 6:50 am

Where do you buy the quorn nuggets? I’d love to get some of those for my boys so I don’t always have to feed them fish fingers! We haven’t really made risotto before but this actually does sound like something my kids might eat so I’ll give this a try – thanks for the recipe!xx

20. paula cheadle
    July 23, 2018 / 9:43 pm

looks easy to make, good for limited time to make tea

21. Hayley Colburn
    July 31, 2018 / 1:27 pm

Thanks for sharing, a great idea for me to cook for the kids on a Tuesday as they always need something quick as they have cubs a little over an hour after school time

22. Ashleigh Allan
    August 4, 2018 / 9:03 pm

Yum looks good!

23. Rebecca Whatmore (@0zzyhog)
    August 16, 2018 / 7:08 pm

I’m a veggie myself so use Quorn all the time. It is so versatile and you can substitute any meat for Quorn to make any meal. The risotto looks delicious – I may give this recipe a go!

24. Jeanette Leighton
    August 18, 2018 / 12:53 pm

This sounds a great alternative to chicken nuggets I think my daughter might enjoy this meal

25. Jeanette Leighton
    August 18, 2018 / 12:55 pm

I have actually added this to my home screen to make this recipe later

26. Hayley Todd
    August 18, 2018 / 1:12 pm

Myself and my eldest daughter are vegetarians and there is nothing we love more than a tasty and nutritious risotto, our favourite being mushroom. Thank you so much for this tasty meal idea! I will definitely be making!

27. A S,Edinburgh
    November 13, 2018 / 11:31 pm

I love risotto, but I don’t think I’ve ever tried a tomato one; what a fabulous idea. Thanks for the recipe!