7 Tips for your first visit to Disneyland Paris

7 Tips for your first visit to Disneyland Paris: We were lucky to visit Disneyland Paris just before Christmas. I read a lot about people planning and organising the trip well in advance. Having detailed plans of what they wanted to do and when. However working a demanding corporate job, having two young children and the blog meant that actually I was not on top of the organisation at all. It did make me a little bit panicked as we neared the dates to go. But as we learnt the truth is you don’t actually need to be all over Disneyland Paris to enjoy it. What you do need to do is be a little bit clever with your time while you are there. So if you are like me running from one thing to the next. As long as you give yourself a little bit of time on the way to Disneyland Paris to think about what you want to do while you are there you’ll be fine.

Here are my 7 Tips for your first visit to Disneyland Paris if you’re in a rush like me.

One download the Disneyland Paris app: Everything I did manage to read before we visited said that the fireworks were not on late in the Winter. Instead being on around 8 o’clock most evenings. However the night we arrived the fireworks were actually on at 11pm. We had arrived at the hotel about an hour before hand. The boys are still up and excited, bouncing off the walls. So it would have been a perfect time for us to go and see them. Instead we watched them out of the hotel window and I cursed the fact that I hadn’t looked at the app in time.

Two book a character breakfast: If getting pictures of the characters is important to you then you may want to consider booking a character breakfast. It cost us £99 for four but it meant we got to see a number of the characters without needing to queue. At one point during our visit it was a two hour wait to see Micky. Instead he came to join us at breakfast, a meal we would have had to buy anyway. We saw six characters in total and got some photos we took ourselves. It did mean that the photos didn’t have the nice backgrounds as they were taken in a buffet restaurant. But for us they were more than sufficient. The characters were really good as well and made sure they got around all the tables, posing when asked and avoiding little ones that weren’t sure. Such as Kipper who thought it was all a bit odd.

Three use your magic hours: Since we stayed in a hotel in the park or in the village we could get into the park before the general admission tickets. Some mornings it was a whole hour and a half before opening. We got on so many rides back to back. The first morning we didn’t queue for Buzz Lightyear going on it twice in a row. While we were there the average queue time for the ride was fifty minutes. Plus even with the fastpass you will still need to queue longer than others with that ride. Set the alarm and get up early for breakfast to make sure you make the most out of it.

Four make sure utilise past past tickets: Depending on where you stay you can get special fastpass tickets. We just had a standard room so we had the sort of fastpass which comes with a standard admission ticket. Using a combination of magic hours and fast passes meant that we didn’t really need to start queuing properly for rides until late morning. I wrote all about how to use a fastpass ticket to help make sense of the process.

Five don’t worry about booking a meal package: Unless you are going for a particularly long time or you can get the meal pass for free when you book. I am not convinced the meal passes are worth the money. We went for three and a half days and I did not book one. My kids will not eat three full meals a day. They’re quite happy grazing in the park around the rides which is why we were there. There are lots of food outlets to drop into and a number of restaurants in the village. Plus we had the character breakfast booked and the Wild West Show for the evening both of which came with meals. Food isn’t cheap so I much preferred the flexibility this gave us.

Six stock up on water & snacks: If you are travelling down by car then I would suggest stocking up on snacks and water. When we got there late I was expecting to see water in the hotel room. However this wasn’t the case. We could get water in our hotel but it was 8€ for a small bottle. So if we visited again I would make sure we packed lots of soft drinks

Seven plan your rides: As I mentioned we didn’t do a lot of prep. But we did plan the rides we wanted to go on. The park map is very good as it has symbols and height details next to each ride. We also utilised the app to see what the queues were looking like. Aiming for different rides each say we stayed meant we got to go on everything we wanted to at least once. In some instances three or four times! It also helped plan for the different heights and age groups of the boys.

Have you been to Disneyland Paris, what are your top tips? I would love to hear about them in the comments below.

Mudpie Fridays: YouTubeTwitter | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest | LinkedIn

1. Alice Colling
    January 22, 2019 / 9:46 am

Thanks for these tips, we are going for the first time in May with my daughter and I am feeling anxious about fitting it all in and avoiding long queues with a small child. I will definitely make a plan and download the app for a start.

2. Natalie Crossan
    January 22, 2019 / 2:13 pm

We aren’t going to Disneyland but are going to Disneyworld paris and it’s surprisingly cheap to book a limo ride and breakfast with Mickey – $20 per person! I am definitely going to do it x

3. January 23, 2019 / 12:32 am

So wonderful – I like that you tipped us off about the app… I wouldn’t have thought of that. I guess I’m just a product of the 90s! Bypass the meal tickets – that’s a great tip, and I’ve often wondered about those because they seem to obligate you. I’d rather be more free-wheeling!

4. Diana Tidswell
    January 23, 2019 / 8:22 am

Thanks for the tips, it was such a nice place for children. And i will definitely organize and follow your tips t9 make sure everything will be fine.

5. January 23, 2019 / 9:20 am

These are wonderful tips! I’ve never been to Disneyland Paris so definitely bookmarking this!

6. Geraline Batarra
    January 23, 2019 / 10:33 am

Thanks for the tips, i love Disney land so much, planning to book here. This guide will really help me.

7. Tracy Nixon
    January 23, 2019 / 11:20 am

Looks a magical place to visit!

8. January 23, 2019 / 1:50 pm

I have never been to Disneyland yet. But I love that it is just so magical. Thanks for the tips will definitely keep this all in mind.

9. January 23, 2019 / 2:28 pm

OK…. so I didn’t even know they HAD a disney land there *facepalm*

10. Natasha
    January 23, 2019 / 3:54 pm

I’ve never been to Disney land…or Paris!! This looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing.

11. January 23, 2019 / 5:26 pm

I haven’t been to Disneyland Paris yet so will keep these tips handy. Have done Florida and Disney in California though so I know planning is key x #BloggerClubUK

12. January 23, 2019 / 6:37 pm

Great tips! I haven’t done Paris, but have done Anaheim and am a frequent flyer in Orlando. A first trip to any Disney resort is simply magical!

13. Laura Wheatley
    January 23, 2019 / 8:25 pm

great tips. We have not been but I would love to. I find it all confusing but we have not really travelled a lot

14. January 23, 2019 / 11:36 pm

Such a great idea to plan out the rides and use the app to check wait times etc. it’s really important to plan the day to save energy and get the best out of the park. thanks for sharing!

15. Britney
    January 24, 2019 / 4:28 am

These are such great tips! We’re looking forward to bringing our kids to Disneyland next year!

16. January 24, 2019 / 6:09 am

I’m going to Disneyland California in two months, and I’m so excited. It’s my nieces first visit. thanks for sharing your tips, it’s a different park but I can still use some of these! #BloggerClubUK

17. Lynn Neal
    January 24, 2019 / 8:33 am

Great tips! We visited in November last year and found the phot pass was great value if the children are meeting lots of characters and having their photo taken with them!

18. Elizabeth O
    January 24, 2019 / 4:52 pm

I’ve never been to Disneyland Paris but thanks for the tips because it is really helpful.

19. January 24, 2019 / 10:30 pm

This sounds like the type of planning I can get onboard with, great practical tips #bloggerclubuk

20. January 25, 2019 / 10:22 am

#BloggerClubUK
    Thank you for these tips. I am going to be planning a trip to Disneyland at some point and I have been trying to wrap my brain around a lot of things. This has really helped. 🙂

21. January 25, 2019 / 8:26 pm

Ive never been to Paris Disney but these tips are just fab and have made me want to book right now! Thanks for sharing!!

22. January 26, 2019 / 9:19 am

Fabulous! Can’t wait to take my daughter there. She’s still a toddler though. Will have to wait a few more years 🙂

23. January 26, 2019 / 4:19 pm

I love Disney and the kids loved Disneyland Paris when they lots younger. Being in Europe it was easy to either drive to Paris or hop on the Eurostar trains. Thanks for bringing back the wonderful memories with your awesome blog post.

24. Ruth
    January 28, 2019 / 11:36 pm

I’ve been to Disneyland Paris 4 times in my life and I’ve loved it just as much each time ! I’m sure this will help a lot of people who would like to book trips their in the future 🙂

25. January 29, 2019 / 2:30 pm

We have never been but if we do I’ll definitely refer to this post, some very handy suggestions here. I can’t get over how expensive everything is though! #bloggierclubuk

26. Amy Simpson
    February 1, 2019 / 9:54 am

Thanks for the tips x

27. Sian Buckingham
    February 4, 2019 / 6:37 pm

I’d love to take my little ones to Disneyland, it looks fantastic and oh so beautiful! Thanks for the tips, I hope one day we are fortunate enough to put them to use!

28. Victoria Easton
    February 13, 2019 / 12:01 pm

This looks amazing!

29. Gemma Hendry
    February 14, 2019 / 2:26 pm

great tips, going to disney is a dream

30. Fiona jk42
    February 18, 2019 / 10:59 pm

I’ve never been to Disneyland Paris but have visited both Disneyland and Disneyworld in the US. Luckily I had been warned about how expensive food and drink were, so made sure to pack lots of juice boxes and refillable water bottles, as well as breakfast cereal and snack bars. We stayed in an on-site villa in Florida, so ate breakfast there every day except when we had a character breakfast. When going through Orlando Airport I picked up some brochures for pizza delivery etc. We were then able to call for pizza and go and meet them at the gate to collect our food. External food delivery services are not allowed to deliver on-site, but Disney cannot prevent guests from collecting food at the gate which is public property! That saved us loads of money on food.

31. Gemma Hendry
    March 30, 2019 / 7:00 pm

ive never been to disneyland but id love to go

32. Margaret Gallagher
    April 8, 2019 / 4:50 pm

A magical world where anything is possible – amazing pics