Over the weekend we visited the theatre to see Room on the Broom. It was a fantastic show, just the right mix of humour and audience engagement. More importantly it held Monkeys interest for the whole show….. No mean feet at the tender age of thirty three months!
Room on the Broom has been one of Monkeys favourites for some time. As previously mentioned I want to encourage a love of books so I have put together a number of different story bags. I will also write about the others in future posts so sign up for the newsletter if you would like to get notified of when these appear. I want Monkey’s story bags to encourage him to re tell the story over and over with different media. I am hoping this will help his language and that his stories will take on their own meaning and go off onto other tangents.
- Drawstring Bag – I printed off an image from the internet onto T-shirt transfer paper which I brought from Wilkinsons. Just remember when you do this the picture will come out in reverse, so avoid words….
- Room on the Broom Book
- Finger Puppets from www.roomonthebroom.com – here
- Room on the Broom Big Activity Book which included the background scene in the picture, there are also a number of different stickers available
- Stick Puppets from www.roomonthebroomlive.co.uk – here attached to wooden skewers with the points removed
- Witches Hat
- Yellow Bow
- Wand – which is a purple stripy straw with a felt star stuck on the top with double sized tape, when I have more time I will sew them together….
- Pine Cone
- Fake flower which could be a Lily like the book
- Bone which I made out of air dry clay
- Softies for each character
- Matching game taken from the Big Activity Book
- Some printed scenes from the film which can be used as sequencing cards or ‘what comes next’ – here
- Basic numbers and pictures for ordering
We have been having great fun re-enacting the story.. I would also like to add a mini broomstick or maybe one made out of a wrapping paper roll which would be just the right size for pretend play….