I’m Pumpkin picking at Garsons Farm Esher

I had been looking for a Pumpkin picking farm for a while when The Joy of Five wrote a post about their favourite Spooky activities in Surrey, and a visit to Garsons Farm in Esher. Realising its not that far from us Monkey and I set off to find ourselves yet another pumpkin!

Garson's Farm Pumpkin Picking

When you arrive you drive into the garden centre there are several signs which direct you into the pick your own. Initially we pulled up at the Dahlia’s not really knowing where we were going. After having a wander it became clear that you could drive to the other areas of the pick your own. It really is huge, although you could walk, with young kiddies driving might be the best option. This is not like any of the pick your own we had visited before! At each stopping area there is a little hut to pay for what you have picked. However this time of year you need to drive round to the one at the end as they are not all open.

Garson's Farm Pumpkin Picking

The pumpkins were about two thirds of the way round, Monkey started to get really excited as he saw the field literally full of the orange vegetable as we drove past. Shouting for us to stop. Unsurprisingly this was the busiest area on a Monday morning in October.

Garson's Farm Pumpkin PickingWe set about finding a one which met Monkey’s exacting requirements. Many of the pumpkins had been cut from their plants already and white fleece placed down to protect those which were not yet orange. Of course Monkey found a green one which he wanted to take home! I did manage to convince him that the orange ones would carve better. In all I think it took him about half an hour to decide.

The pumpkins were very well priced at 69p a kilo which meant our medium sized pumpkin cost us under £2. It also gave me the opportunity to take some photos of Monkey in amongst the pumpkins as well, which was on our Autumn Bucket List for this year. If I am honest we haven’t been very good at ticking things off the list this season!

Garson's Farm Pumpkin Picking

Garson's Farm Pumpkin PickingThey still have a wide range of other fruit and veg available to pick including apples, raspberries, strawberries (which I was very surprised by), sweetcorn, beetroot and carrots. You can check their website to see what is available before you visit here. After our picking expedition we were feeling peckish so checked out the cafe in the garden centre. The cafe is very comprehensive, offering hot and cold lunches, a wide selection of cakes and a lunchbox meal for the kids, which is what Monkey had. I opted for an afternoon tea which was delicious. The staff were very helpful especially when we needed to leave our table momentarily to visit the amenities.

Garson's Farm Pumpkin PickingBefore going home we had a nose around the garden centre, they had a wide selection of toys which caught Monkey’s eye straight away. He opted for a couple of pocket money toys. They were also putting out the Christmas decorations which I am a bit of a sucker for so we also had a look around those as well. Buying some Lametta which is one of Hubby’s favourites as it transports him back to his childhood. I know I will probably regret it, just hours into the tree being up but I was feeling festive! They also have a farm shop and picnic area but we did not visit either of these.

Garson's Farm Pumpkin Picking

Things you need to know

• The pick your own is open 9am-5pm Monday to Saturday and 11am-5pm on Sunday. The garden centre is open the same ours although opens at 10.30am on a Sunday for viewing only
  • The PYO address is Winterdown Road, West End, Esher, Surrey, KT10 8LS. They also have another farm based in Titchfield Hampshire
  • More information is available on their website www.garsons.co.uk

Have you been pumpkin picking this year?

My Kid Doesnt Poop Rainbows
Life Unexpected

1. memybooksandi
    October 26, 2015 / 7:08 am

This looks like something our children would enjoy, thanks for sharing x

2. October 26, 2015 / 7:45 am

This looks so much fun. We do have a PYO pumpkin venue near us and I think it might need to be on our To Do list this week. We paid £2 for one from a supermarket yesterday and Miss Tot even enjoyed picking that (from a large cardboard box? Bad mummy! Slaps own wrist and promises to take her to an actual pumpkin field asap).

Brilliant pumpkin carving by the way. Dawn x #Fartglitter

3. October 26, 2015 / 8:10 am

I’m so glad you both had a good time.
    We went to get our own yesterday and had a great time picking them out!
    I was shocked by the strawberries too, I had been telling my daughter they must have left the sign up until we drove past!

4. October 26, 2015 / 8:44 am

We really want to do this and then carve it. Just about to google around to find somewhere local to us that does it. Looks such fun.

5. October 26, 2015 / 10:49 am

I’ve been pumpkin picking this year for the first time and it was great. I imagine with the little is even more exciting 🙂 The carved pumpkin looks fab, well done. x

• October 31, 2015 / 3:11 pm

Aw thanks I can’t take the credit for the carving that was down to Monkey’s grandparents xx

6. October 26, 2015 / 2:16 pm

This looks like lots of fun and what lovely photos. I don’t think there is anything like this near where we live but I would love to do something like this with my little ones when they are bit bigger xx

• October 31, 2015 / 3:13 pm

Hopefully you will find one for when they are a bit older xx

7. Hannah
    October 26, 2015 / 6:03 pm

I love Garsons farm, many a fond memories of being there with my Granny 🙂 it was on her doorstep.

8. October 26, 2015 / 8:55 pm

What fun! I heard on the radio today that people were being encouraged to carve turnips as there was a shortage of pumpkins, and because turnips is where the tradition started. But in truth I really can’t see turnips catching on, except perhaps for Baldrick! 🙂

• October 31, 2015 / 3:13 pm

Lol brilliant – I had no idea it started with parsnips!! Xx

9. You Baby Me Mummy (@YouBabyMeMummy)
    October 26, 2015 / 9:04 pm

Oh I am so jealous, I have been trying to find a localish Pumpkin farm but have had no luck. These photos are adorable x

• October 31, 2015 / 3:14 pm

Aw thank you 🙂 it’s taken us a whole year we gave up last year!!!

10. October 26, 2015 / 11:27 pm

Oh. My. God. This is so so cool! I wish it was nearer to us. A whole field of pumpkins to pick, wow. The photos look amazing! xx

• October 31, 2015 / 3:18 pm

Aw thanks hope you found one close to you x

11. Mama
    October 27, 2015 / 12:43 am

So cool and affordable. The Halloween style pumpkins here cost at least 10 GBP- which is a little beyond my price range. Gutted as I really wanted to carve one. I can’t believe they’ve still got summer fruits at the end of October- yum!
    Thanks so much for linking up to #fartglitter x

• October 31, 2015 / 3:20 pm

Omg £10 that’s a lot for a pumpkin to carve 🙁 thank you for hosting xx

12. October 27, 2015 / 5:40 am

I haven’t seen any pumpkin picking local to us, I really want to take Lamb! That farm looks huge! I’m surprised to hear they had strawberries left! X

• October 31, 2015 / 3:20 pm

Hope you found one, I know! It’s great though as we will be picking them there next year!!

13. Michelle Murray
    October 27, 2015 / 6:43 am

aww my friend went pumpkin picking last week with her children. It looks so much fun

14. October 27, 2015 / 7:14 am

I would love to go pumpkin picking it looks like so much fun especially when you get a scone at the end of it. What a great place.

• October 31, 2015 / 3:21 pm

Ha ha yes – not sure my waistline would agree! Xx

15. adventureswithmonster
    October 27, 2015 / 11:47 am

love pumpkin picking ? this time of year is beautiful and it’s a must in our family! x

16. November 4, 2015 / 9:25 am

I’d love to do this and know Garsons Farm from my days as a reporter on the local paper in Surrey – will check out next year! #whatevertheweather

17. Mummy here and there
    November 4, 2015 / 7:55 pm

Glad you.had a fun time. It definitely feels special pyo. Great carving X

18. Jenny
    November 4, 2015 / 11:09 pm

Aww, cute photos! I love the photos of monkey and his green pumpkin, cute that he decided to choose the unusual one. I love the sea of orange pumpkins, we will definitely, definitely be going to a pumpkin patch next year! Only another year to wait . 🙂
    Thanks so much for linking up to #Whatevertheweather 🙂 x

19. November 7, 2015 / 10:37 am

I’ve been looking for a pumpkin farm too, sadly unlike you, we are not so lucky to have one nearby. I’m afraid there are no pumpkin farms in North Cornwall 🙁 Really envious because your photos look lovely and so much fun! #countrykids.

20. November 7, 2015 / 4:40 pm

That looks like so much fun, one year I really must tell Daddy P not to bring us one home from his warehouse and do this instead #CountryKids

21. Coombe Mill
    November 7, 2015 / 10:32 pm

You drove past my house! We lived along the green there just before the farm before moving to CornwallI remember wheeling my eldest in the pushchair round Garson’s farm and him watching in wonder at the Christmas decorations and little train that ran above them. Pumpkin patches hadn’t been invented back then, I don’t think I would recognise it there now although I do remember the PYO strawberries. Well done them on moving into Pumpkins we really need somewhere to do it in Cornwall, it is a much more fun way to choose a Pumpkin than taking from a supermarket shelf, definitely worth a few pence more for the experience. Thank you for sharing yours on Country Kids.

22. November 8, 2015 / 12:09 am

We love Garson Farm too! Posting about our trip to the pumpkin patch next week for country kids! How funny! It’s an absolute gem of a place, isn’t it?!

23. chloelifeunexpected
    November 8, 2015 / 3:31 pm

I love that you have seasonal bucket lists. I really must make some. What a beautiful place to visit. I really wish we had some down here. I love picking our own but we don’t have any pumpkin patches. I think it’s so lovely to get photos of it as well. Such beautiful autumn memories. Thanks so much for linking up to #Whatevertheweather 🙂 x