Why Villa Holidays are Great for Families

Last year we visited a wonderful area of Tuscany with James Villa Holidays. Our Tuscan villa was down a dirt track in the middle of no where. Just like many in that region are. It was beautifully quiet, with lovely scenery and its own pool. We had a fantastic time and made so many memories. Looking back on the photos I think its going to be tough to beat it. We purposefully chose a part of Italy that we knew loved and used the fully equipped villa as a base to explore. However I do think that in part the holiday’s success rested on the fact that we had a villa. The flexibility it gives a family is second to none. With a then 5 year old and 1 year old we had to have something that allowed us to stick to Kippers routine. Yet was flexible enough to allow us to capitalise on the fun times with Monkey.

With this in mind I wanted to share with you some reasons why we and others opt for Villa holidays wherever possible. Just incase you are thinking of booking your own and need a little gentle persuasion.

Why Villa Holidays are Great for Families

Flexibility

We all know kids moods can change almost instantly. What they fancied doing in the morning when they woke could be very different by the afternoon. There is no set routine so if we wake late then we don’t have to rush for breakfast, instead we can potter around and get use to a slower pace.

Exploring can leave hungry bellies which don’t want to wait until the onsite restaurant opens. The self catering element is a god send. Not to mention the fact that both mine have allergies so we can cook food which we know is suitable for them. Plus we can vary whats on the menu day to day without fighting for the buffet…

Its a home from home

The villas we have stayed in have everything you need to make the most of your stay. Which could be books and toys saving on luggage allowance. Or a fully functioning washing machine and airier so you can make the most of what you do have. Its also really nice for the boys to have their own bedroom each. Which is also a big draw for Lisa where there is ten years between her two children.

I have lost track of the number of times Hubby and I have sat on the balcony with the lights off waiting for the kids to fall asleep in the hotel room. Before being able to play that game of cards or read the book we’ve been wanting to do all day… In a villa there is none of this, which is also what attracts Nikki to villa holidays. The same can be said with nap times, especially for really little ones. Emily takes the baby monitor with them so they work just like they do at home. Only instead of getting on with the chores theres a chance to catch some rays or sit and relax on a veranda.

Sophie just likes the fact that she can get up in the middle of the night and make a cup of tea if she wants to. Without waking the rest of the family as she hunts for that tea tray!

Alice’s son has learning disabilities and autism and often needs a place to retreat to when everything is overwhelming him. A villa suits them much better than being cooped up in a hotel room. As he can find a safe space whenever he wants to. While her two daughters can still go about having fun. Which means everyone gets what they need.

You won’t be disturbed

Lauren chooses villa holidays so that she doesn’t need to worry about others making a lot of noise at bedtime. Little ones tend to go to sleep at the same time as others are just getting ready to go out. With a villa they can keep to their routines and hopefully sleep soundly without being disturbed. Meaning as adults we get some me time too.

Privacy

For some such as Katie, privacy ranks very high on the holiday must have list. For those who want to enjoy their holiday but may not want to have their body on show to the general public. After having the boys I have become a lot more self conscious of what I do and don’t look like in swimwear. There is a definite attraction of knowing its only your nearest and dearest that will see you without judgement.

Also from a privacy point of view if work life is pretty full and very people involved then solitary that a villa provides can also be a huge attraction. This is definitely the case for Sarah’s family who like to holiday on their own.

Multigenerational holidays

There are a lot off benefits of going away with grandparents. Not only do the children get to make those special memories and build the unique relationship between grandparent and grandchild. But as parents theres the opportunity for the odd date night and sharing the load of looking after little ones. Yet its important to make sure the accommodation can ensure everyone gets their own space when they need it. Which is the main reason why Eilidh will opt for a villa, since it stops everyone living on top of each other.

Your own pool

In Italy the owner would come and clean the pool each day at the crack of dawn. There was no need to wait for opening times, or have to worry about older children being boisterous in and around the waters edge. Both kids could used their inflatables with no problems. For families such as Erica’s whose little ones are learning to swim this is invaluable.

Carrie likes the fact that everything is close by. How many times have you gone down to the pool only to discover the suntan lotion is not in the beach bag? Or if your little ones are potty training.

We loved our villa holiday so much that we are planning another this year with James Villa Holidays. But this time to Portugal. Which we will sharing both here on the blog and over on social media too. So if you want to see how our holiday evolves then make sure you are following us.

This post has been written in collaboration with James Villa Holidays as we are a Brand Ambassador for them in 2018.

1. May 16, 2018 / 6:07 am

I think the only thing that puts me off Villa holidays is not being able to drive so I feel we’d be stuck! I think really I just need to do a little searching and finding an a villa in the right location for us and within walking distance to places to eat! 🙂 #BloggerClubUK

• May 16, 2018 / 11:02 am

Try Portugal. Because of the golf they have a lot of villa style resorts. We stayed at a wonderful one which had a swimming pool, bar, a few restaurants and a supermarket all within walking distance. We didn’t even bother with a car, we just got airport transfers. I’ve been to others where we had a car and boy did we need it. A 15 minute drive for a pint of milk!

2. May 16, 2018 / 6:44 am

We love villa holidays, having your own pool especially is brilliant. We also really like hotels as your so looked after lol

3. May 16, 2018 / 7:08 am

It does seem very convenient to basically have a home to base travel out of! #BloggerClubUK

4. May 16, 2018 / 8:13 am

Villa Holidays are always less fuss with the little ones and less stressful. #BloggerClubUK

5. May 16, 2018 / 8:32 am

Sounds perfect: beautiful place and the ideal accommodation to suit your needs — and you can carry on kids’ routines. #BlogClubUK

6. May 16, 2018 / 10:57 am

Completely agree, and it doesn’t matter what season of life because children, grandchildren, parents and grandparents can all enjoy this.

7. May 16, 2018 / 11:00 am

We went on a wonderful villa holiday with extended family before we had out son.It was amazing and I definitely want to try another now we have a little one.He’s two so the freedom that a villa brings is great, plus all the practical things like being able to put a wash on if necessary! #BloggerClubUK

8. May 16, 2018 / 12:17 pm

I love the pool. Anything with water is in my bag! #bloggerclubUK

9. May 16, 2018 / 3:14 pm

I so agree. We have enjoyed lots of villa holidays over the years with our family and they have been amazing. #bloggerclubuk

10. May 16, 2018 / 3:38 pm

I would really like to try a villa holiday as I think it would be ideal for us having a son with autism. It would give us more space and I think he would be more relaxed. You’ve convinced me to look into it for next year. Thank you for sharing and Thank you for hosting #BloggerClubUK

11. Lorna Ledger
    May 16, 2018 / 3:46 pm

You have really sold this too me, it would be great to go woith all the family, Mum Dad, Grandparents, everyone, lovely x

12. May 16, 2018 / 5:18 pm

Sounds like a great holiday option for all age groups. Enjoy Portugal!

13. May 17, 2018 / 5:13 am

We love Villa holidays. They are so good when you have a young family. #BloggerClubUK

14. Margaret GALLAGHER
    May 17, 2018 / 8:37 am

Siimply the best kind of holiday – everything at ypur leisure – time to book mine

15. May 17, 2018 / 12:05 pm

We’ve always enjoyed a villa holiday and are staying in one in Puglia, Italy in July with my parents. I can’t wait for a holiday in the sun, relaxing (fingers crossed!) around the pool. #BloggerclubUK

16. May 17, 2018 / 12:29 pm

What a beautiful villa, ive always thought the best way to visit Tuscany would be to get a family villa and that view has just persuaded me to do it! Thanks for sharing such a great post #BloggerClubUK

17. Tracy Nixon
    May 18, 2018 / 4:26 am

Completely agree as you can keep your kid’s daily routines too!

18. May 18, 2018 / 7:54 am

When we go away with the grandchildren we usually rent a house or villa as it gives you so much more flexibility. #BloggerClubUk

19. May 18, 2018 / 12:39 pm

We’ve considered a villa, but we do like the entertainment in the evenings so we’ve always swung towards a hotel. As I’m getting older though I do fancy quieter evenings with just the family. #BloggerClubUK

20. May 20, 2018 / 3:43 pm

I love the idea of staying in a villa! I know next summer my ex and I are hoping to take the kids to Hawaii (maybe) and they have villas you can stay in. From what I hear about them, they are a lot more private and I value privacy very much. This is a great idea! #BloggerClubUK

21. May 20, 2018 / 5:21 pm

Hi, I totally agree with all of your reasons to have a holiday in a villa for me its a great way to have a a mulitigenerfational holiday #bloggerclubuk

22. Ren Taylor
    May 30, 2018 / 7:16 am

We are off to a villa as a family this year for the first time, in Cyprus…..so excited !!

23. Rachel Lewis
    June 2, 2018 / 6:06 pm

We love villa holidays. Love the privacy and feels like home (only hotter)

24. paula cheadle
    June 8, 2018 / 11:40 am

we have been on many villa holidays, we love it

25. Susan B
    June 10, 2018 / 2:09 pm

It looks and sounds wonderful and the children look so happy to be there. Like Kayleigh above, my choices are restricted as a non-car owner but I will certainly consider accessible UK villa breaks. Thanks for the excellent review.