Review of Start-Rite School Shoes: Monkey went through several pairs of school shoes in Year 1. I think this could be because he has discovered football. Which he plays almost every playtime and lunchtime by all accounts. So I am trying to get organised before September and school shoes are firmly on our list to replace. Which is why I was so pleased when Start-Rite got in contact to see if we would like to put a pair of their AW18 range the test.
Monkey opted for the style ‘Bolt’. Which I really liked too as they are a casual school shoe which fits well with the rest of his uniform. Available in size S10 through to L4 and in four different width fittings from E through to H. If you are worried about fit when ordering online then Start-Rite has developed a great app which is free to download visit 3D Measure App to find out more.
- Shop – shop the full collection in the app, find what you are looking for quickly and easily using the filter options. Which are age, size, width, colour, price, or category. It’s even possible to set up a wish list to buy at a later date.
- 3D Measure – shop with confidence using their innovative measuring system. Simply print off a grid and take a few photos to measure your child’s feet and get their Start-Rite shoe size.
- My Family – allows you to track and save your children’s shoe sizes as they grow. Its possible to shop by child and view styles only available in their size. The app will also send you helpful reminders when it’s time to re- measure their feet.
The key features of the Bolt shoes are:
- Riptape fastenings enable adjustability, easy wearing and a more comfortable fit.
- Enhanced protection around the toe, heel and side of the foot are more scuff resistant and help the shoes last for longer. This is key with his new desire to play football constantly.
- Removeable, moulded footbeds and anti-bacterial mesh linings enable feet to breathe and remain fresher.
- Reflective panels for safety in low light conditions.
Things I love:
- Monkey likes them – to be honest this is probably the most important thing because trying to get him to put on school shoes every day that he doesn’t is a nightmare.
- The amount of testing that goes in at prototype stage – Start–Rite tests every prototype to ensure it never gives up and looks as good as new after the equivalent of 100,000 steps and that riptape fastenings remain ‘sticky’ after 5,000 openings. This is a big deal for us since many of Monkey’s shoes have had the same sort of openings and they don’t last.
- The leather is dyed through which should help with the scuffing issue surrounding the football obsession.
- I like that it is a British family business which has been going for over 226 years.
Start–Rite shoes are designed to give children the freedom to go where they want, how they want.
I don’t normally buy Start-Rite shoes but our experience of them in the last few weeks of term have led me to think differently in the school years ahead. First and foremost Monkey likes them, they still look smart and to date have held up well against the football.
Not only do they make great shoes which are super comfortable. I really like the ethos of the company and some of the campaigns they run. One very close to my heart launched on the 24th July where Start–Rite Shoes has joined with the Ben Cohen StandUp Foundation to launch the #KidsWalkTall campaign to help raise funds for the anti-bullying charity.
The campaign aims to empower children and encourage self-confidence as part of their journey through school as they learn more about who they are and who they might be tomorrow. This is highlighted in a short film where children share their thoughts on school life, the friendships they’ve made, the struggles they face, and how it’s good to be different.
To support the campaign, Start–Rite are asking parents and carers to share the campaign film on their Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages. Each time the film is posted publicly with the hashtag #KidsWalkTall, Start–Rite will donate £1 to the anti-bullying charity. What a brilliant campaign and one I am more than happy to support.
Start-Rite has given my readers the chance to win a pair of new school shoes for their little ones. All you need to do is enter via the Gleam application below and please note the T&Cs. Many of the entry options include the #KidsWalkTall campaign.
- Competition is open to residents of the UK aged 18 and over
- There is no cash alternative offered
- One winner will be drawn at random and will receive a voucher to use on the Start-Rite website to purchase a pair of children’s shoes
- The giveaway will close on the 27th August at midnight, the winner will be notified through Twitter
- The Winners will be asked to provide a full postal address and email address
I have some other giveaways running at the moment so please check them out in the Blog Giveaways Page above.
If you’ve liked this post please follow me on my social media channels:
This post is written in collaboration with Start-Rite we were sent the Bolt shoes in return for an honest review.