DIY Yarn Easter Eggs

DIY Yarn Easter Eggs: I have always wanted to try out making yarn Easter eggs but I was worried that the may not be that easy and I could see a Pinterest fail coming up. However as part of the Bostik blogger challenge I thought it was worth a go. It turned out that they are very simple and even Monkey got involved in making them. The best part is that we had all we needed to make these in the house already:

• White glue
  • Water
  • Water Balloons – I think that you could probably use fully sized balloons just keeping them small. I do like water balloons though as they are easier to shape into an egg shape.
  • Embroidery thread

Step 1: Blow up your balloons, ours were about 3.5 inches long. While I was doing this Monkey mixed equal parts water and white glue. I did worry that it maybe a little runny and still think that it may take some time to find the perfect consistency.

Step 2: Add your embroidery thread to the glue mixture careful to keep it as untangled as possible. For this reason I did one at a time. Using a wooden spoon or similar make sure the thread is well coated.

Step 3: The messy bit. Wind the thread around the balloon. I found that winding from top to bottom worked better than winding around the balloon. This seemed to give better structure as did keeping the thread tight as you wound. There was a definite difference between the ones which I did and Monkey did.

Step 4: I left ours to dry over night and then popped the balloons with a pin. Getting out the remnants of the balloons was a little fiddly, but I am very happy how they turned out for a first attempt.

If I was to do this again then I think I would include some little folded eggs inside and perhaps use two skeins per egg. Otherwise I think the chocolate temptation would be to big for little hands. I have a number of other Easter craft posts which you maybe interested in:

I will be back next month working again as part of the Bostik Blogger Programme, so please pop back for some inspired crafting ideas.

This post has been written in collaboration with Bostik

1. March 15, 2017 / 8:48 am

Oh I love these! I’ve always wanted to make these, but like you was concerned they’d be one of *those Crafts that in theory is ridiculously simple but in practice is just ridiculous! You’ve convinced me, we’ll be doing this tomorrow, I have everything we need in the cupboard too! #BloggerClubUK

2. March 15, 2017 / 9:04 am

These are so cute! Ive always fancied having a crack at these too! #BloggerClubUK

3. March 15, 2017 / 9:19 am

These look great and really effective! I love crafts but I struggle to find the time and they never turn out quite the way I imagined ???? #BloggerClubUK
    Becky recently posted…How Important are Your Mamma Friends?My Profile

4. March 15, 2017 / 10:03 am

This looks like fun I need to do some easter crafting #bloggerclubuk
    Left Back recently posted…Harry PotterMy Profile

5. March 15, 2017 / 11:28 am

Wow I am so impressed. These look fab. Jamie would hate the gluey mess though. But they do look great and my child needs to learn to embrace mess 😉 #BloggerclubUK

6. March 15, 2017 / 12:10 pm

Such a lovely, simple idea. My sister loves knitting and sowing, I think we will do these with her!

7. March 15, 2017 / 1:32 pm

They turned out really well! They look great and would make a fab easter decoration or a centre piece for an easter dinner table
    Debbie
    Random Musings recently posted…Blogger Club UK Linky #59My Profile

8. March 15, 2017 / 3:53 pm

I’ve always wanted to try these too, we may just have a go this weekend, all I need is balloons.
    Anne recently posted…The P.E. Palaver!My Profile

9. March 15, 2017 / 7:18 pm

What a good idea with easter coming up! My boys will love trying to make these the messier the better!! xx #BloggerClubUK

10. March 15, 2017 / 8:21 pm

That is a cute, fun little craft for the kiddos! Great idea!
    #bloggerclubuk

11. March 15, 2017 / 9:00 pm

Definitely going to give them a try. I’ve seen these on Pinterest and was worried they’d be a fail!

#bloggerclubuk

12. March 16, 2017 / 1:42 pm

Fantastic, I’m definitely making these and using this idea for all celebrations !! #bloggerubuk

13. March 17, 2017 / 2:55 am

I am going to give these a go with Timmy. what a fun little idea. 🙂
    candice recently posted…It’s in the bag!My Profile

14. March 21, 2017 / 5:12 am

These look amazing! What a clever idea. I’ll pin these and we’ll be having a go! x
    #BloggerClubUK